• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your thought on two B1G teams possibly making it?

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa was ranked ahead of OSU imo because common opponents results were almost identical, Iowa had the better SoS and I'm sure the Rose Bowl preferred to get an Iowa fan base that was excited about the season, that travels excellently and who hadn't been to the game in 24 years over an OSU fan base that was disappointed in the season. There really wasn't much separating those 2 teams on a resume basis.

Correct the resumes were too close to justify ranking Iowa below Ohio State just based off the eye test. That would not be the case this year. Ohio State's resume overwhelmingly favors them

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. Unless the committee drops OSU to 4th/5th in tonight's rankings, we're in if we beat michigan, regardless of what Washington does.
The only ranking that matters is the last one, after the conference championship games, when the champions have been decided. OSU needs to win their conference if they are counting on being in the playoff.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why Iowa was ranked higher. Sagarin had Iowa SOS at 62, Ohio State at 61. Colley had Ohio State at 41 and Iowa at 52. The division championship was the difference between them. If you were going to put your own money on who would have won between Ohio State and Iowa last year, who would you have bet on?

That's right last year the resumes of the teams being decided on were too similar. So the division championship was the deciding factor. This year the resume overwhelmingly favors Ohio state which is why the committee could decide to look past division and conference champions

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right last year the resumes of the teams being decided on were too similar. So the division championship was the deciding factor. This year the resume overwhelmingly favors Ohio state which is why the committee could decide to look past division and conference champions

Just keep on telling yourself that if it makes you feel better, but you best hope Michigan State wins this weekend. If Penn State wins, you're most likely toast.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only ranking that matters is the last one, after the conference championship games, when the champions have been decided. OSU needs to win their conference if they are counting on being in the playoff.
Nah. If they're 2nd tonight (or even 3rd), beating michigan will be enough. Washington has a very weak SOS, as evidenced by them dropping behind a 2-loss Wisconsin. If Wisconsin beats PSU in the B1GCCG (which is likely), and Oklahoma beats Ok St. this week, OSU will be 11-1 with two wins over P5 conference champs (both on the road) along with another top 10 win over michigan and a top 15 blowout win over 10-2 Nebraska. They'll be in.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just keep on telling yourself that if it makes you feel better, but you best hope Michigan State wins this weekend. If Penn State wins, you're most likely toast.
Nah, there's no argument to support this.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we should expand to 8 teams because we can't decide who the 4th team should be.

And then we should go to 16, because if you think deciding the 4th team was hard, wait until you do the 8th place team.

FUCK THAT SHIT.

If you lost a game this year, you got no room to bitch. If you got in the playoffs after a loss, then thank your lucky stars.

End of story.

Yeah, I know.. where does it end? But we have 5 power conferences and 4 playoff spots. Also, the best teams don't always make it to the conf champ games. The Big12 doesn't even have a CCG. Only having 4 playoff spots means you're relying and awful lot of conf championships to sort out who gets in and we know the divisions in every conference are a lopsided mess.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I find this extra funny coming from a team that has won a national championship without winning their division when they only took two teams, not four

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find this extra funny coming from a team that has won a national championship without winning their division when they only took two teams, not four
We're not using the BCS anymore, I have no doubt Ohio State would get in under that system. Everybody wanted conference championships to mean something, and now that they do they don't like it so much, if they think it's going to cost them a place in the playoff that is.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly!!

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know.. where does it end? But we have 5 power conferences and 4 playoff spots. Also, the best teams don't always make it to the conf champ games. The Big12 doesn't even have a CCG. Only having 4 playoff spots means you're relying and awful lot of conf championships to sort out who gets in and we know the divisions in every conference are a lopsided mess.
I'd say only the SEC and ACC really have lopsided divisions right now top to bottom and even that will probably eventually correct itself. I suppose you could try and argue the B10 is too but the East is so terrible at the nl bottom that it ends up being pretty even overall. I think in the 2 years of these divisions the West actually holds the better crossover record overall by a game or 2

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. If they're 2nd tonight (or even 3rd), beating michigan will be enough. Washington has a very weak SOS, as evidenced by them dropping behind a 2-loss Wisconsin. If Wisconsin beats PSU in the B1GCCG (which is likely), and Oklahoma beats Ok St. this week, OSU will be 11-1 with two wins over P5 conference champs (both on the road) along with another top 10 win over michigan and a top 15 blowout win over 10-2 Nebraska. They'll be in.

That one signature win over Utah means a lot less now that they dropped their 3rd game to Oregon. They also may not get a chance to rematch USC.. a team that could be the best in the PAC right now.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two conference champions left out?

Wouldn't be cricket, mate....

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That one signature win over Utah means a lot less now that they dropped their 3rd game to Oregon. They also may not get a chance to rematch USC.. a team that could be the best in the PAC right now.
If they beat WSU, that will also drop them from the rankings, meaning beating Colorado would be their only quality win of the year. Winning a conference title with only 1 ranked win is extremely weak compared to a team with 4 ranked wins (3 top 10, two conference champs) like Ohio State. The committee will see that.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not using the BCS anymore, I have no doubt Ohio State would get in under that system. Everybody wanted conference championships to mean something, and now that they do they don't like it so much, if they think it's going to cost them a place in the playoff that is.

Haha Ohio State would not get in over Clemson in the BCS. You want me to believe it was easier to get in a non conference winner there was only two teams being selected to play for it all rather than four?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they beat WSU, that will also drop them from the rankings, meaning beating Colorado would be their only quality win of the year. Winning a conference title with only 1 ranked win is extremely weak compared to a team with 4 ranked wins (3 top 10, two conference champs) like Ohio State. The committee will see that.

Stanford is ranked and ending the season with Rice, they should finish ranked.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha Ohio State would not get in over Clemson in the BCS. You want me to believe it was easier to get in a non conference winner there was only two teams being selected to play for it all rather than four?

If both Clemson and Ohio State win out, there's a great chance the BCS would have had Ohio State #2. Ohio State would be #2 in every computer, meaning it would come down to the humans. My guess is that Ohio State would be taken over Clemson.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm saying if they were still using the BCS system to pick the 4 playoff teams, Ohio State would be in.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say only the SEC and ACC really have lopsided divisions right now top to bottom and even that will probably eventually correct itself. I suppose you could try and argue the B10 is too but the East is so terrible at the nl bottom that it ends up being pretty even overall. I think in the 2 years of these divisions the West actually holds the better crossover record overall by a game or 2

I guess I tend to focus on the top of each conf. But so far, Iowa has the only win against a top team in the East.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I tend to focus on the top of each conf. But so far, Iowa has the only win against a top team in the East.
Yep. I think the top 3vin the West are 1-4 vs the Top 3 in the East. But the West is 11-9 vs the East overall. I think it was 11-10 East last year. Assuming IU beats Purdue it'll be exactly 21-21 over the first 2 years. Not bad for a straight geographical alignment lol