• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your teams worst draft moves

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardinals in '86 used the 32nd overall pick on kicker John Lee. Terrible. Bill Bidwell was super smart.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with chf. What he said is true.

1997: Rick Mirer, the second pick overall in the 1993 NFL Draft, is traded to the Bears for a first-round draft choice that the club uses to trade up to the third spot in the ’97 Draft to select Shawn Springs. Mirer was 20-31 as a starter for the Seahawks, but his victory total ranks fourth in franchise history behind Dave Krieg (70), Matt Hasselbeck (69) and Jim Zorn (40).

Springs was pretty good for us.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I didn't realize until I saw a show on Cowboys & Niners (the Catch & all)
In 1979. Last year before Staubach Retired. The highest rated player the Cowboys had on their board in the 3rd round was Joe Montana. Granted Doug Cosbie was picked who might have been the best most complete TE before Witten, but since Cowboys liked all three (upside included) of the QBs, they passed on Joe Montana even though he was their clear best rated player at that time of the draft. Could you have imagined if the Cowboys went from (going into the 80's) from Staubach to Montana fluidly. So even though I don't have a single bad thing to say about Cosbie (who I always think of is underrated for a TE in the history books) I don't mind electing this is one of the boys biggest oops in the draft.

They already had Danny White, who took them to 3 straight NFC championships after Staubach retired.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick: QB Giovanni Carmazzi, No. 65 overall in 2000
The miss: QB Tom Brady, No. 199 overall to Patriots
There were six quarterbacks taken before Brady in the 2000 draft before New England pulled the trigger in the sixth round. While every team passed and didn’t have any idea that Brady would turn into maybe the greatest quarterback of all time with his four Super Bowl rings, this move by the Niners looks most embarrassing. Brady, a Bay Area native who worshipped Joe Montana, should have gotten a chance from San Francisco as an underrated prospect from Michigan. Instead, the team went for a kid from that QB hotbed, Hofstra.

I never bothered with thinking about Brady as a bad draft move. Nobody that I have ever known could tell me he would be what he has become.

Giovanni Carmazzi, the guy who stole Faulk's Heisman!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody needs a QB so missing on a HOF QB possibly the best pure passer the NFL has ever seen is definitely bad for business for almost every team. Thankfully my team doesn't quite fall into that category considering we got Elway out of the deal.

Marino was a sore subject in PIT for a long time because they struggled at the position for a long time after that draft, but there were a lot of drug use rumors going on about Marino during his SR yr and he just dropped like a hot rock.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Vikes worst move is Christian Ponder.

Still have no idea what the hell happened there. It was obvious to anyone that saw him in college that he didn't have the nuts to play in the NFL. His ceiling was solid clip board holder. And we took him with the #11 pick overall with some killer defensive prospects still on the board.

Since the same GM that drafted Ponder still runs the Vikes, I like to think that he showed up drunk to the draft and told the guy who asked for the Vikes pick that he needed to "ponder" the decision a little longer and there was a misunderstanding.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Jet fan this would be like trying to pick the most viscous serial killer. There's just so many to choose from

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randy Moss for the Cowboys? Cowboys had the 8 pick and he went at 21...

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Vikes worst move is Christian Ponder.

Still have no idea what the hell happened there. It was obvious to anyone that saw him in college that he didn't have the nuts to play in the NFL. His ceiling was solid clip board holder. And we took him with the #11 pick overall with some killer defensive prospects still on the board.

Since the same GM that drafted Ponder still runs the Vikes, I like to think that he showed up drunk to the draft and told the guy who asked for the Vikes pick that he needed to "ponder" the decision a little longer and there was a misunderstanding.

how is he still hanging on to that piece of ass wife of his?

The clock has to be ticking on that marriage

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles have had many. One that comes to mind is a guy drafted in the first round of the 1997 draft, Jon Harris, a DE from Virginia.

When the Eagles called Harris to let him know he was their pick, he was sleeping. Their call woke him up. He did not expect to be drafted for several more rounds. His coach reportedly laughed when he heard about the selection. Harris went before a far more decorated teammate, LB Jamie Sharper, whom the Ravens drafted in the second round.

Harris was 6-foot-7 and 292 pounds, but he was no Reggie White. He could hardly play. He had two sacks his entire career.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk, Ken O'Brian had some great seasons in the 80s. Not a complete bust.
Well that Marino guy that they passed on that EVERY Jet fan wanted wasn't too bad either...

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marino reportedly fell due to rumors he liked the white lines.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how is he still hanging on to that piece of ass wife of his?

The clock has to be ticking on that marriage

Christian made over $11 M from the NFL.

Hell last year the Raiders gave him $1.5M just to show up for camp and lose his backup job.

That's not bad coin.

After that he can be the stay at home dad and let the real talent in the family go out and pursue her dreams. The only rule is that dad and kid can't play catch because dad has a terrible arm.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marino reportedly fell due to rumors he liked the white lines.

Shula whispered that into anyone's ear that would listen in the spring of '83.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the picks made under Martz' leadership were just plain awful. The Rams screwed up the draft so many times before they got Snead at GM that it's no wonder it's been such a long rebuilding process. Jason Smith, Donnie Avery, Brian Leonard, Tye Hill, Joe Klopfenstein, Alex Barron, Robert Thomas, Trung Canidate, etc.
The awful part about those Rams drafts from the Martz' era is that they whiffed hard on most of their mid to late round picks, too. Billy Devaney wasn't much better as you listed a few of his rejects, too.

Snead has been above average but when its all said and done, Greg Robinson might end up being the biggest Rams bust of all time if he doesn't turn around. He went #2 overall in a stacked draft. I thought he was a Guard prospect. I think you wanted Mack like a lot of other people but the Rams didn't really need him even if he would've ended up being in 30~% of the snaps. Most people wanted Sammy Watkins (the guy who I drafted on this board in a mock draft) and he certainly would've been an upgrade for the Rams. They also could've taken Bortles and he certainly would've been an upgrade for the Rams. Such an awful pick.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The awful part about those Rams drafts from the Martz' era is that they whiffed hard on most of their mid to late round picks, too. Billy Devaney wasn't much better as you listed a few of his rejects, too.

Snead has been above average but when its all said and done, Greg Robinson might end up being the biggest Rams bust of all time if he doesn't turn around. He went #2 overall in a stacked draft. I thought he was a Guard prospect. I think you wanted Mack like a lot of other people but the Rams didn't really need him even if he would've ended up being in 30~% of the snaps. Most people wanted Sammy Watkins (the guy who I drafted on this board in a mock draft) and he certainly would've been an upgrade for the Rams. They also could've taken Bortles and he certainly would've been an upgrade for the Rams. Such an awful pick.

I wanted Watkins first, then Mack. I understood why they went for Robinson and was OK with it, but it would not have been my choice.

Hopefully with Robinson working with LeCharles Bentley this offseason, he starts to become the dominant tackle he can be. If not, he can easily move inside to LG (but the Rams will need to find another option at LT).

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'Brien didnt have a bad career

Problem always was that he was the guy drafted ahead of Marino, so anything short of all time great was always gonna hurt O'Brien..