• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Draft: Day 2 Grades

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the Eagles
Good: they got a guy who was a serious consideration at 22 that falls to 40. That makes two players they’ve added to a secondary that was on the struggle bus last season. They were also able to stock pile 3 fourth round picks and 3 fifth round picks putting them in a good position today to move up and grab their targeted guys in rounds 4 and 5.
Bad: They likely over paid for the move up from 50 to 40 to grab Cooper DeJawn. Howie’s timing was great though. Eagles picks started a run of CBs being drafted. The edge rusher they drafted last night was an over draft. It wasn’t as bad as the Cowboys taking Liafau that early but it was a real reach. I think the player has some potential but he’s very raw and likely needs a year or even 2. That’s crazy talk for a 3rd round pass rusher.

I disagree about DeJean, I think you'll love him soon enough.

3rd did seem early for Hunt, but there's something there to develop, solid upside.

Tough to figure out the rest of their draft with all of the trades. Howie must have been jacked up on coffee (or something stronger) lol.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears draft definitely seems like the one that will change the NFL the most unless Caleb implodes.

Looking at the AFC W and seeing the Chargers get Alt, McConkey, Colson, Hart, Vidal, Rice and a couple of other guys. Its not a super physical group or anything but when you see a team that already has a franchise QB in place get a high pick and are able to get Alt and McConkey back to back I think thats a draft that can immediately kickstart a team.

Cardinals are also in the same boat and coming out of the draft with Harrison Jr is the big prize but it felt like they reached on a lot of guys with athletic upside vs the Chargers who just took the most proven players.

Bengals also took some swings on high upside guys although I dont think they reached. They probably only need two of their players to hit to be happy with that draft because the potential on a lot of those players is through the roof. Burton is maybe the biggest locker room test in the draft. Probably a 50% shot Mims ends up as one of the best 8 players in the draft imo.

I'm looking at the Giants draft and I figure Nabers has about an 70% chance of being good and Theo Johnson about 30% of being good. But if they both hit that team becomes interesting all of a sudden.

Of the other major contenders, I dont really love what the Niners did initially but they are rockstars in the draft so they'll be interesting to watch. Bills draft is even more puzzling to me.

What's puzzling about the Bills? They needed WR, S, DT, Edge and C, got interesting prospects at all 5. Two developmental athletes for the O-line (one with a free roster spot from the INTL path program), a LB for special teams, and a CB/Ret. Wanted another WR in that mix, still need that deep threat. I wish they would have kept that other 5th they dealt to the Bears and drafted Thrash. It all comes down to how Keon Coleman develops, but apparently Josh really wanted him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's puzzling about the Bills? They needed WR, S, DT, Edge and C, got interesting prospects at all 5. Two developmental athletes for the O-line (one with a free roster spot from the INTL path program), a LB for special teams, and a CB/Ret. Wanted another WR in that mix, still need that deep threat. I wish they would have kept that other 5th they dealt to the Bears and drafted Thrash. It all comes down to how Keon Coleman develops, but apparently Josh really wanted him.
Coleman at first glance seems like a weird fit. Thought they needed 2 WRs. I thought Bishop went a tad bit early. I guess we'll find out

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. Bills had a fine draft. I'd be quite happy with their picks if I was a Bills fan.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree about DeJean, I think you'll love him soon enough.

3rd did seem early for Hunt, but there's something there to develop, solid upside.

Tough to figure out the rest of their draft with all of the trades. Howie must have been jacked up on coffee (or something stronger) lol.
Howie loves doing that. Grabbed a 3rd, 4th and 5th next year.

Only thing we really missed adding was offensive tackle depth, which if I look long term it makes more sense to grab a 1st or 2nd round RT in the next year or two (that takes over for Lane) rather than grab a 3rd or 4th rounder now.

I also wanted DL depth, but I don't know how the current backups fit in the new scheme. Maybe Howie doesn't either yet, so just let it play out and then add to what you see after a year in the scheme.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everyone did a great job.

lol sure...

Outside of an obvious A+ pick with the Cards that was horrible (they did nothing else remotely relevant in the draft - I was absolutely shocked they didn't take Powers-Johnson), the Titans were a bit underwhelming, and the Falcons to some degree pulled off one of the most baffling top 10 picks of all time. The other picks after top 10 I think were fairly okay with exception of Nix... Broncos were desperate.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol sure...

Outside of an obvious A+ pick with the Cards that was horrible (they did nothing else remotely relevant in the draft - I was absolutely shocked they didn't take Powers-Johnson), the Titans were a bit underwhelming, and the Falcons to some degree pulled off one of the most baffling top 10 picks of all time. The other picks after top 10 I think were fairly okay with exception of Nix... Broncos were desperate.
i've heard sometimes the opinions vary between NFL pro talent folks and mediaheads.

I was kinda upset when my squad ignored the RB position, but then I remembered many here say RB doesn't matter. I feel much better today.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've heard sometimes the opinions vary between NFL pro talent folks and mediaheads.

I was kinda upset when my squad ignored the RB position, but then I remembered many here say RB doesn't matter. I feel much better today.

It's tough to call anyone a reach or a steal, not knowing how the NFL views these guys. Valuing picks based on amateur opinions and mock drafts is a bit silly when you think about it. However, missing on needs that weren't filled by free agency first is a valid concern. Of course, post draft FA is a thing and could get active again once the UDFAs are sorted out.

I thought Miami not addressing OL enough or DT at all were misses.
Bills traded away a 5th with Thrash on the board that could've filled their deep threat need.
Rams didn't draft LB or CB, curious omissions.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Christian McCaffrey says hello

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An awful lot of meh in the Cowboys RB room, but a bunch of options.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't watch college football and I didn't look at any tape for my own personal scouting. I can only gauge what the Rams did by other people's opinions. The Rams traded #30 overall value for the #39 pick. With the #39 pick they selected a player expected to be picked between #48 and #80. Apparently they overpaid to reach. (Maybe some NFL GMs where having a "smartest man in the room" contest). The 3 players the Rams selected on Day 2 were all system fit players in positions of need, but it feels like an opportunity missed. Wasting resources in a Draft of this quality hurts.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was a little worried when the Lions took Gibbs so highly in the draft last year. So far it's been a home run pick, but he has only played 1 year, so we'll see if he can keep producing for the next 3-4 years.

I think my opinion about RB's now is to try and draft a great one early, use him for 4-5 years and either trade him, or let him go. In the NFL over the past decade, dropping a lot of money on RB on his second contract doesn't often work out very well for guys not named McCaffrey. (although I'm sure I'm forgetting someone from the past 10 years)

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a little worried when the Lions took Gibbs so highly in the draft last year. So far it's been a home run pick, but he has only played 1 year, so we'll see if he can keep producing for the next 3-4 years.

I think my opinion about RB's now is to try and draft a great one early, use him for 4-5 years and either trade him, or let him go. In the NFL over the past decade, dropping a lot of money on RB on his second contract doesn't often work out very well for guys not named McCaffrey. (although I'm sure I'm forgetting someone from the past 10 years)
If your first round pick isn’t a second contract guy though, one could argue that’s a missed pick.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your first round pick isn’t a second contract guy though, one could argue that’s a missed pick.
I agree. If you don't nail a bonafide big offensive producer when picking an RB early in the draft, it's not a good pick. You can get good production from RB's later in the draft.

I think it's definitely a lottery ticket pick many times these days.