• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your teams worst draft moves

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to disagree with the Broncos pick. Tebow at least provided a bit of a spark to the team and the fanbase after some terrible years. Yeah he wasn't a great player but us making the playoffs during the Tebow year at least got us noticed enough by Manning for him to sign with the Broncos.

To me our worst pick was Jarvis Moss. He hadn't done a whole lot in college and then had one outstanding game that helped sky rocket him into the 1st round. Unfortunately we were the team that fell for the hype.
have to agree with you, also I believe you raped a team when you traded Tebow didn't you? Who did you guys draft with the pick(s) you got for him?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have to agree with you, also I believe you raped a team when you traded Tebow didn't you? Who did you guys draft with the pick(s) you got for him?

Danny Trevathan was the pickup..

Jets then used the 7th they got from Denver in a package with Seattle to move up from 47 to 43 and get Stephen Hill. Showed promise but back to back to back knee injuries ruined that. Seattle used the lower pick for Bobby Wagner.

So instead of Wagner and Trevathan the Jets got Tebow and Hill... Ouch

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with the Cardinals selection.

Picking Levi Brown two spots before AP was drafted in 2007 would be my choice. Edgerin James was on his last legs & we would have had an offense of Warner, Fitz, Anquan & AP.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I would say the Broncos made out pretty good in that situation from the trade. We ended up getting a 4th and 6th round pick while we gave up Tebow and a 7th round pick. The Jets also had to pay like $2.5 million to the Broncos for some of the salary they had already paid for Tebow.

That 4th round pick we used on Philip Blake and OL guy cut a couple years later. So not great value there.

The 6th round pick though turned into Danny Trevathan who has been an outstanding ILB for the Broncos and just signed a huge deal with the Bears after multiple teams were trying to sign him. He has been one of my favorite players over the past 4 years and is probably the one player that we lost this off season that greatly saddens me that we didn't get him signed.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick: QB Giovanni Carmazzi, No. 65 overall in 2000
The miss: QB Tom Brady, No. 199 overall to Patriots
There were six quarterbacks taken before Brady in the 2000 draft before New England pulled the trigger in the sixth round. While every team passed and didn’t have any idea that Brady would turn into maybe the greatest quarterback of all time with his four Super Bowl rings, this move by the Niners looks most embarrassing. Brady, a Bay Area native who worshipped Joe Montana, should have gotten a chance from San Francisco as an underrated prospect from Michigan. Instead, the team went for a kid from that QB hotbed, Hofstra.

I never bothered with thinking about Brady as a bad draft move. Nobody that I have ever known could tell me he would be what he has become.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick: QB Giovanni Carmazzi, No. 65 overall in 2000
The miss: QB Tom Brady, No. 199 overall to Patriots
There were six quarterbacks taken before Brady in the 2000 draft before New England pulled the trigger in the sixth round. While every team passed and didn’t have any idea that Brady would turn into maybe the greatest quarterback of all time with his four Super Bowl rings, this move by the Niners looks most embarrassing. Brady, a Bay Area native who worshipped Joe Montana, should have gotten a chance from San Francisco as an underrated prospect from Michigan. Instead, the team went for a kid from that QB hotbed, Hofstra.

I never bothered with thinking about Brady as a bad draft move. Nobody that I have ever known could tell me he would be what he has become.

Hey now Bill Polian said they had a 1st round grade on Tom Brady but because they already had Peyton Manning they decided not to pull the trigger.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to disagree with the Broncos pick. Tebow at least provided a bit of a spark to the team and the fanbase after some terrible years. Yeah he wasn't a great player but us making the playoffs during the Tebow year at least got us noticed enough by Manning for him to sign with the Broncos.

To me our worst pick was Jarvis Moss. He hadn't done a whole lot in college and then had one outstanding game that helped sky rocket him into the 1st round. Unfortunately we were the team that fell for the hype.

Yeah tebow was bad because it was such a reach. But got to agree not the worst. And if QB was need who else was available there? Kafka, Colt McCoy, Skelton, Claussen, Joe Webb... They got the 2nd best QB in that draft.

Ayers finally playing decent, but Clay Matthews went soon after.

Jarvis Moss was horrible, no upper body strength there.

But the years for Moss, Nash, etc where they went bad the choices at that position behind weren't all studs...

I'll throw out Ted Gregory. Said he was 6'1" but was really short, blew out his knee in college and Broncos never checked it and it went out in camp. They bought damaged goods, traded him off and he never played a down for Denver. Because of that one they decided to start meeting picks that they were going to take before the draft lol..

Last edited:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible selection for the Bills. I mean, I know there are countless examples to comb through, but Mike Williams??

JP Losman all the way.
think you guys are missing the point........the article isnt the worst draft pick ever, its the worst draft pick the team made when they passed up other positions of need. Who else could they have got that they needed that year, what great player did they pass up that they actually needed

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah tebow was bad because it was such a reach. But got to agree not the worst. And if QB was need who else was available there? Kafka, Colt McCoy, Skelton, Claussen, Joe Webb... They got the 2nd best QB in that draft.

But the years for Moss, Nash, etc where they went bad the choices at that position behind weren't all studs...

I'll throw out Ted Gregory. Said he was 6'1" but was really short, blew out his knee in college and Broncos never checked it and it went out in camp. They bought damaged goods, traded him off and he never played a down for Denver. Because of that one they decided to start meeting picks that they were going to take before the draft lol..
once again its not the worst pick you ever made

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah tebow was bad because it was such a reach. But got to agree not the worst.

Moss is just such a bad pick in he wasn't that great of a college player either. He had the one outstanding game that got everybody talking but not really much else. He had some decent speed but like you said his upper body was terrible. It was the one time I feel like the Broncos fell in love with a combine freak rather than what they show on tape.

You are right though the DE position that year was bout as bad as can be so not really another guy taken at the same position that did any better after he was picked. It is more who was picked after him almost every pick after that in the 1st round did so much more than him. I mean Brady Quinn busted and Craig Davis as well but I would take any other pick made in the 1st round beyond Moss and the Broncos would have been a better team.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toss up between....McGwire, Mirer and Bosworth IMO

z.jpg

zzz.jpg

zz.jpg

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers recently took Amini Silatolu when Alshon Jeffery was still on the board. Also, one year Gurney went spray-n-pray with QB's and drafted 3 (Jimmy Claussen, Armanti Edwards, Tony Pike). Just remembering this makes me thankful for having Gettleman now.
there he gets its!, taking a player when alshon was on the board, thats the point, the panthers needed a wr, and took somone else woeful

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
once again its not the worst pick you ever made

But it is not like Tebow was this huge bust though. I mean he started quite a few games for the Broncos and had a winning record with the team. Helped us win a playoff game so hard for me to consider him our worst pick. I understand McCourty with how he has played would have been a good selection for the team but there are much worse picks the Broncos have made when talent right after the pick could have immediately helped the team. Throw in when fans were screaming at the tv when the picks were made. I remember when Ayers was drafted and seeing Clay Matthews still on the board going "What are you doing?!" Same when we picked in that same draft Moreno over Orakpo. I don't know how many Bronco fans I talked to that were jumping up for joy when Orakpo was still on the board and were shocked when Moreno's name was called.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moss is just such a bad pick in he wasn't that great of a college player either. He had the one outstanding game that got everybody talking but not really much else. He had some decent speed but like you said his upper body was terrible. It was the one time I feel like the Broncos fell in love with a combine freak rather than what they show on tape.

You are right though the DE position that year was bout as bad as can be so not really another guy taken at the same position that did any better after he was picked. It is more who was picked after him almost every pick after that in the 1st round did so much more than him. I mean Brady Quinn busted and Craig Davis as well but I would take any other pick made in the 1st round beyond Moss and the Broncos would have been a better team.

Yeah his combine was all about speed too. I think that was the year that Brady Quinn was drafted and Quinn destroyed him on the bench. lol

Marv Montgomery over Dan Dierdorf... That would be one, position of need vs. same position drafted somewhat close.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't surprised to see a lot of 83' references with Dan Marino connected to them.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't surprised to see a lot of 83' references with Dan Marino connected to them.

Everybody needs a QB so missing on a HOF QB possibly the best pure passer the NFL has ever seen is definitely bad for business for almost every team. Thankfully my team doesn't quite fall into that category considering we got Elway out of the deal.