• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yes!

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but we had to do something. This team was a pussified NFL team before Schwartz got here. We had zero toughness it seemed. Granted, they went a little too far, but I like the intensity more than being steamrolled and beat up by every other team. Suh has done his part to help earn our rep, however unfair that may be. It's not his fault he's a strong dude and Goodell is taking away a lot of what used to be acceptable.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that teams take on the personality of their head coach. The Lions have done just that, and it isn't a good thing.

This has been said a billion times on local Detroit radio. It's not a new theory. Remember when the Lions obliterated the Redskins and basically ended McNabb's career in Washington? That's back when the Lions were running off of Suh's intensity. They were 5-0 before Goodell made snipping Suh's balls his priority no.1 after "pushing" Gay Cutler to the turf. And sadly, we have not been the same since. Hopefully, the Lions can find a way to channel that same energy without getting the attention of Ginger Hitler, er I mean Goodell this year.

Many of the main culprits for repeated stupid flags are gone: Young, Peterman, Cherilus, are all off the team. Go ahead and call Schwartz a hot head for throwing a flag on a play the fucking zebras called a TD after 5 million other people around the world saw the guy laying on the ground, get up and run 70 yards for TD. Who wouldn't be beside themselves with that? Doesn't make it right, but it's hardly the massive brain fart some try to make it out to be.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(However, you're at a distinct advantage on being right, as Jimmy ain't gettin braids!)

I don't know about that. My theory is we drafted Tim Toone so Schwartz could pick his brain a bit on the dreads because he knows that the key to success in the NFL. Look no further than Toone for your example- short white kid with limited skill, but he played in the NFC Championship game this year because of those dreads...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been said a billion times on local Detroit radio. It's not a new theory. Remember when the Lions obliterated the Redskins and basically ended McNabb's career in Washington? That's back when the Lions were running off of Suh's intensity. They were 5-0 before Goodell made snipping Suh's balls his priority no.1 after "pushing" Gay Cutler to the turf. And sadly, we have not been the same since. Hopefully, the Lions can find a way to channel that same energy without getting the attention of Ginger Hitler, er I mean Goodell this year.

Many of the main culprits for repeated stupid flags are gone: Young, Peterman, Cherilus, are all off the team. Go ahead and call Schwartz a hot head for throwing a flag on a play the fucking zebras called a TD after 5 million other people around the world saw the guy laying on the ground, get up and run 70 yards for TD. Who wouldn't be beside themselves with that? Doesn't make it right, but it's hardly the massive brain fart some try to make it out to be.

Then what was it? He acted without thinking and it cost his team. A good coach does not do that. While I think that challenge rule is pretty dumb, it is still clearly stated.

Suh's intensity is a positive, but the Lions need a leader who can get Suh and others to channel their energy into a more focused effort. Schwartz is impulsive and so are his players. He may have made the team relevant and brought toughness back to Detroit, but is he the right guy to help the team take the next step? I say no, unless he changes the way he operates.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol... I didn't try to shift anything... I don't care what the rest of the league or populous thinks about Schwartz. The man is fighting for the Lions and took on the challenge when he came here to change the organization for the better. I think the fickled fan base is the only thing that will change that.
I support Schwartz to a point.
Head games with officials just might work for Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz | MLive.com
Then you should've left it alone instead of bringing him up.
JIMINY CRICKET, you know that stats don't always tell the REAL story.
LOL... it kept the Lions from drafting 7th and changed a bad rule.

Lol, I don't even know what to say to any of this?!

To your first point- yeah Schwartz is a real hero for accepting millions and millions of dollars to coach a professional football team. We're lucky he agreed to it, because nobody else would have accepted that "challenge."

As far as stats not telling the "REAL story" the real story is that he's won 22 games for us and lost 42. Period. There's no asterisks in the record book for close losses, crappy rosters, bad calls, etc... Stop making excuses for why he's losing, because in the NFL it doesn't matter. Almost doesn't mean shit in this league, you either win, or you lose (except for once every three or four years when there's a tie).

Schwartz has simply been a poor head coach thus far. He was looking like he was on the right track until he presided over one of the worst seasons we've ever had. Obviously 2008 was the worst, but 2012 is right up there near the top.

You keep trying to defend him by saying things like "He's building a team" or "he's fighting for the Lions" well guess what? Those aren't the attributes that make a head coach successful. Winning ballgames does, and he's shown that he's not very good at that.

Like I said, and this factoid should be eye-opening, he'd need 5 straight 10 win seasons just to get his career win-loss record back to .500, that says a lot about the job he's done so far...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then what was it? He acted without thinking and it cost his team. A good coach does not do that. While I think that challenge rule is pretty dumb, it is still clearly stated.

Impossible to prove because no other ref has ever put another coach in the same position by letting an opponent get up off his back and run 70 yards for TD. Until one does, this is all speculation.

Suh's intensity is a positive, but the Lions need a leader who can get Suh and others to channel their energy into a more focused effort. Schwartz is impulsive and so are his players. He may have made the team relevant and brought toughness back to Detroit, but is he the right guy to help the team take the next step? I say no, unless he changes the way he operates.

I feel the exact same way about RG3 for you guys. :suds:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that teams take on the personality of their head coach. The Lions have done just that, and it isn't a good thing.

I like this guy. :10:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He acted without thinking and it cost his team. A good coach does not do that.
Jim Harbaugh did the exact same thing before Schwartz did. Are you now saying Harbaugh isn't a good coach? Because that's where you're heading.

Vader

Not Quite Evil Enough
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this thread was about the possible appocolypse that would come with the hiring of Brian Kelly to replace Schwartz? To that regard I hope Schwartz keeps his job even if we go 4-12 again if the alternative is Kelly as our new coach.

I agree with those who say Schwartz can't control his team. He can't even control himself. Short of Woody Hayes punching an opposing player I think the rage shown from Schwartz on a regular basis doesn't come off as that of a passionate coach but instead a crazy fool.

The team has as many arrests in his tenure as it does road wins and victories over teams with winning records combined.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh did do the exact same thing. And after he did Scwartz screamed "learn the fucking rules" and then a year later he did it.

I personally am not a fan of schwartz as a HC, but I think he would be a great DC. He needs a head coach with a level head over him.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let Gunther be the HC and Jim the DC. Gunther would get away with screaming at the officials because he screams at everybody. Some of these players need to be screamed at.

Lovable Gunther for HC!!!!!!

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as stats not telling the "REAL story" the real story is that he's won 22 games for us and lost 42. Period.

The last Lions head coach to finish with a winning record (aside from interim Gary Moeller) was Joe Schmidt, who left the team in '72. Wayne Fontes is the only HC to win the Coach of the Year Award in that time frame. Since 2001 the win/loss record is 53-139, and 11 out of those 12 seasons the Lions have had at least a five game losing streak.

because in the NFL it doesn't matter. Almost doesn't mean shit in this league,
The win/loss record only matters to the fans. The NFL is all about making money, unhappy Lions fans isn't that big of a loss.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 thing that has always shocked me is the lack of discipline. They get consistently flagged for unnecessary penalties and miss routine assignments on both sides of the ball. That is on the coach. Schwartz has not impressed me at all.

Yes, that something the Media and Fans whine about. In 2007 the Media and Fans took their toll out on Rod Marinelli going into the 2008 season and ended up plowing Marinelli under. In 2012, it was unique though... most everyone on the team were stepping up to lose a game. Both Stafford and Schwartz were preaching that it was "just one play away." LOL... I believe Schwartz is in control, more than the fickled fan base thinks.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then what was it? He acted without thinking and it cost his team. A good coach does not do that. While I think that challenge rule is pretty dumb, it is still clearly stated.[/

All scoring plays just started getting reviewed. Unless you have put every coach through a no brainer blown call such as that one. You can not make assumptions. Some coaches would not of thrown the flag because they are so dosile. Gym Shorts has great intensity to a fault I will accept that.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, Jim Harbaugh did it before Schwartz ever did. I'm not saying Schwartz wasn't made a fool of after he yelled what he did to Harbaugh, and then doing the exact same thing next year. But to say great coaches don't make that mistake is asinine and uninformed. Unless one thinks Harbaugh is a shatty coach, which he isn't(as much as it pains me to say).

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But to say great coaches don't make that mistake is asinine and uninformed. Unless one thinks Harbaugh is a shatty coach, which he isn't(as much as it pains me to say).

The great, SB winning HC Mike Shannahan left his prize QB in the game when 4 billion other people on the planet knew he should come out or risk blowing out his knee. I'll take a flag botch over risking our QB's career any day. Shit happens.

Right now Schwartz is 1-1 in his own best 2/3 Falls. He is walking the tight rope this year for a reason. I don't know what the record has to be to keep him from being axed but I think it's just as much about image as it is W/L records. Any drug busts, suspensions, major issues on/off the field and I think the Ford's send him packing.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last Lions head coach to finish with a winning record (aside from interim Gary Moeller) was Joe Schmidt, who left the team in '72. Wayne Fontes is the only HC to win the Coach of the Year Award in that time frame. Since 2001 the win/loss record is 53-139, and 11 out of those 12 seasons the Lions have had at least a five game losing streak.

The win/loss record only matters to the fans. The NFL is all about making money, unhappy Lions fans isn't that big of a loss.

So are you saying it's ok that Schwartz has lost so many more games than he's won because we've been losers for decades?

Maybe that's ok by you, but I want a coach who can win games consistently, not give us a one-and-done playoff appearance every 4 years.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, Jim Harbaugh did it before Schwartz ever did. I'm not saying Schwartz wasn't made a fool of after he yelled what he did to Harbaugh, and then doing the exact same thing next year. But to say great coaches don't make that mistake is asinine and uninformed. Unless one thinks Harbaugh is a shatty coach, which he isn't(as much as it pains me to say).

What really bothers me is that Schwartz made fun of Harbaugh for doing it, then Mike Smith of the Falcons did it two weeks before the Thanksgiving game (and it was a national story for a couple of days b/c he cost his team points) and then Schwartz still cost us the game by doing it.

Either he's an idiot (which he doesn't seem to be one bit, quite the opposite, imo), or he simply cannot control his temper. If it's the latter I'm not sure he belongs in charge on the sideline in the NFL. Perhaps he's got some more growing up to do first...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should just sign the Ryan brother to co-head coach