• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yamamoto

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be very easy to put this all on FZ but I don't think it's that simple. If some of the posts we are reading are totally accurate (MSGs) than we actually have a much different problem. If Ohtani's FA played out as MSG said (and I think it did) there was NO bidding at all. There wasn't a 'highest' bid ... there was only ONE monetary bid and it was Ohtani's agent that set that marker. You either met that marker or we were immediately eliminated. Othani then selected who he wanted to play for based on how each team presented their other incentives .... for a team like the Giants it is almost impossible to take out a team like the Dodgers. What incentives could we possibly offer better than the Dodgers. For the past 10 years they have won the most games in MLB play, They have gone to almost every playoff series there was ... I just don't see how you take a team like that out of the picture. If other FAs (probably only the top tier I would think) start using that same approach ... it doesn't bode well for any team looking like the current Giants. You will no longer be bidding on FAs .... they will set the price and then pick where they want to go. If you are not a top tier team you need to find a way to sell your FUTURE. You have to make them want to play on your team. I'm not sure exactly how FZ can sell the future of this team ..... as a fan .... I really don't have a clue of what the hell his plan actually is ..... other than pick-up all the stray outfielders and infielders that you can ... and hope for the best ..
It's a negotiation. If the party is all in on the LA, NY, or BOS intangible, you are right. But the objective in any negotiation is to find what moves the needle in your direction. Does a player want to be the cornerstone in a franchise? I'd argue that neither Othani nor Yama will be the cornerstone in LA - Freeman, Betts, blah blah, led the Dogs to multiple division wins. Here either would be the top dog (excuse the derogatory reference). Multiple other angles to pursue. I assume the FO are not idiots at negotiating, but at this stage it is a stretch assumption

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading this, I wonder how aggressive were the Giants and did they bother to offer a signing bonus? I haven't read anything on this yet, so I wonder how much did Ohtani sway Yamamoto and how much did the Giants offer him? Could they have swayed him with a much higher AAV?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a negotiation. If the party is all in on the LA, NY, or BOS intangible, you are right. But the objective in any negotiation is to find what moves the needle in your direction. Does a player want to be the cornerstone in a franchise? I'd argue that neither Othani nor Yama will be the cornerstone in LA - Freeman, Betts, blah blah, led the Dogs to multiple division wins. Here either would be the top dog (excuse the derogatory reference). Multiple other angles to pursue. I assume the FO are not idiots at negotiating, but at this stage it is a stretch assumption
I agree .... to a point. If what MSG said is correct ,,, the money is not negotiable. The price is set, You are either in or out ,,,, than you negotiate the intangibles and try to sell your team to the FA, It will come down to what the player wants over the life of the contract. As a team we have very little to offer if you look at as pure statistics .... over the past decade we have lost the division title to the Dodgers by more than 20 games on at least 6 occasions. We have to convince the FA that we will close that gap significantly in the next two years. ONE FA is not going to do that. FZ (or whoever) will have to put a plan on the table that is believable ... that's where I see all the issues .... I'm not sure he has a plan ..... having failed with Judge, Ohtani and now Yamamota ... what the front office does next will be very interesting and very telling ..... I just hope he doesn't react to quickly and tries to sign a ton of players that really won't help us in the long run. We are not close to being a good team. We need to start building and developing our own talent pool and be very selective in addressing our existing issues ...

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, im a little bit drunk. I meant since Buster Posey. So 2008 or what 13 or 14 years of shitty to mediocre drafting in the first round.