• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yamamoto

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One week ago:
"The trading and FA signing will open up once Ohtani signs.
Ohtani signs and the trading and FA market remain for the most part stagnant.

Earlier today:
"The trading and FA signing will open up once Yamamoto signs."
Yamamoto signs this weekend and the trading and FA market remain stagnant.

One week from now:
"The trading and FA signing will open up once Bellinger signs."

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tyler Glasnow finalizing $135M deal with Dodgers​

Right-handed starter Tyler Glasnow and the Los Angeles Dodgers are finalizing a five-year, $135 million contract that, once completed, will make official the trade of Glasnow and outfielder Manuel Margot from the Tampa Bay Rays to the Dodgers, sources told ESPN.

Does this mean their interest in Yamamoto has dropped?

What if Kershaw decides to come back?
TB won that trade. Pepiot is gonna be good and DeLuca isn't too bad either. Glagnow is a brittle bitch and Margot was just a salary dump.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TB won that trade. Pepiot is gonna be good and DeLuca isn't too bad either. Glagnow is a brittle bitch and Margot was just a salary dump.
I would have thought that the Rays could have gotten a bit more but they do have a talented staff and seem to know what they are doing (most of the time) in their trades.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have thought that the Rays could have gotten a bit more but they do have a talented staff and seem to know what they are doing (most of the time) in their trades.
Well they got $12 million in payroll relief by dumping Margot on the Dodgers. And I think DeLuca could be a good player. He doesn't strikeout much and carries a good OBP. Papiot, I think, will emerge as an ace in Tampa Bay.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting for some huge free agent without injury concerns to take the Giants serious.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glasnow‘s high for games started was last year….at 22

I didn’t want the Giants to trade for him because he has NEVER been healthy.

like, ever.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Report: Yamamoto has $300M-plus contract offers from Giants, Red Sox​

Among MLB teams interested in the Japanese star pitcher are the Giants and Boston Red Sox, both of whom have contract offers of over $300 million on the table for the right-hander's services, Jim Bowden of The Athletic and CBS Sports reported Saturday, citing sources.

I say text his agent and let him know the Giants are willing to offer more now.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Report: Yamamoto has $300M-plus contract offers from Giants, Red Sox​

Among MLB teams interested in the Japanese star pitcher are the Giants and Boston Red Sox, both of whom have contract offers of over $300 million on the table for the right-hander's services, Jim Bowden of The Athletic and CBS Sports reported Saturday, citing sources.

I say text his agent and let him know the Giants are willing to offer more now.
Where he signs will have little or no relationship to how much money is offered. You do realize that Ohtani was offered the same contract by us but went with the Dodgers. At 300M+ (no matter where he goes) ..... he will go for things ... like playing in the post season, where he will live etc etc etc, We are a long shot at the moment. The NYY have also offered 300M+ and the Dodgers have yet to make a move on him ... but will.

Also makes you wonder .... Yamamoto is only 25 but he is also unproven to some extent. He has never thrown a pitch in the US major leagues. What happens if he doesn't quite pan out .... and you have put a 10 year contract on the plate. He is not Ohtani. He is a pitcher only. If he can't pitch up to expectations .... it will be interesting.

On the other hand .... Snell is 30 years old ... but he is a proven resource. He has won the Cy Young award twice. Once in each league. He has proven that he can pitch and quite effectively. The question is .... who is the better gamble at this point ..... a real tough call

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where he signs will have little or no relationship to how much money is offered. You do realize that Ohtani was offered the same contract by us but went with the Dodgers. At 300M+ (no matter where he goes) ..... he will go for things ... like playing in the post season, where he will live etc etc etc, We are a long shot at the moment. The NYY have also offered 300M+ and the Dodgers have yet to make a move on him ... but will.

Also makes you wonder .... Yamamoto is only 25 but he is also unproven to some extent. He has never thrown a pitch in the US major leagues. What happens if he doesn't quite pan out .... and you have put a 10 year contract on the plate. He is not Ohtani. He is a pitcher only. If he can't pitch up to expectations .... it will be interesting.

On the other hand .... Snell is 30 years old ... but he is a proven resource. He has won the Cy Young award twice. Once in each league. He has proven that he can pitch and quite effectively. The question is .... who is the better gamble at this point ..... a real tough call
For me, Snell's inconsistency, coupled with what he'll likely get in dollars from free agency, makes him too much of a wild card. Looking at his career, those two Cy Young seasons seem like outliers. He doesn't go very deep into games and he walks a lot of batters. I'm not sure the investment would be worth it.

The Giants seem to be pivoting to a possible plan B (what happens when they miss out on Yamamoto). Giants Reportedly Interested In Shota Imanaga

They also seem to be looking into plan C (also from MLBTR).
  • The Giants remain interested in potentially re-signing Sean Manaea, The San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser reports. There hasn’t been much buzz on the left-hander since he opted out of the final year (and a $12.5MM salary) of his previous contract with San Francisco to test the open market, though it stands to reason that Manaea might get more looks as more and more free agent pitchers come off the board. Likewise, the Giants’ pitching needs haven’t really changed since the offseason began, and Manaea might be a reasonable addition even if they did land Yamamoto or Snell considering that the Giants could deal from their crop of young pitchers to bolster their lineup. Manaea had a 4.44 ERA and an above-average 25.7% strikeout rate over 117 2/3 innings for the Giants last season, working in a modified swingman role as a starter, bulk pitcher, or piggyback starter.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snell is a 5 inning pitcher
Yep ... and Webb is a 6 inning pitcher .... Yamamoto is an exception ... 7 inning pitcher ... today's world of baseball is moving to the 5 inning pitcher and a host of relief pitchers .... Dodgers use that model quite a bit ....

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, Snell's inconsistency, coupled with what he'll likely get in dollars from free agency, makes him too much of a wild card. Looking at his career, those two Cy Young seasons seem like outliers. He doesn't go very deep into games and he walks a lot of batters. I'm not sure the investment would be worth it.

The Giants seem to be pivoting to a possible plan B (what happens when they miss out on Yamamoto). Giants Reportedly Interested In Shota Imanaga

They also seem to be looking into plan C (also from MLBTR).
  • The Giants remain interested in potentially re-signing Sean Manaea, The San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser reports. There hasn’t been much buzz on the left-hander since he opted out of the final year (and a $12.5MM salary) of his previous contract with San Francisco to test the open market, though it stands to reason that Manaea might get more looks as more and more free agent pitchers come off the board. Likewise, the Giants’ pitching needs haven’t really changed since the offseason began, and Manaea might be a reasonable addition even if they did land Yamamoto or Snell considering that the Giants could deal from their crop of young pitchers to bolster their lineup. Manaea had a 4.44 ERA and an above-average 25.7% strikeout rate over 117 2/3 innings for the Giants last season, working in a modified swingman role as a starter, bulk pitcher, or piggyback starter.
saw that .... they really do need a plan B. Love to see Yamamoto in SF but I just can't see the attraction. I don't think it will be about money. He'll get whatever he wants and he'll pick his own landing spot. Just like Ohtani.

For me personally ... I see the landscape of baseball changing. You can clearly see the 'haves' and the 'have not' teams. The Dodgers are a 'have' team. They ALWAYS win about 100 games a year and now they just picked up Othani. Can't make them remarkably better (you already win 100 games) but it will make them better and solidifies them for the near future. Hard to argue with their system and their approach.

As a team we are consistently about 20 games behind them. If we play 500 ball (81-81) ... good chance we will be 20 games behind them (they usually win about 100). We have to close that gap or we will never compete for a division championship. IMHO you have to win at least 90 games to be competitive for a playoff position. We've only been there once in the past seven years.

We also need some bats added to this line-up. I think we were one of the worst offense teams in the MLB last year, Doesn't matter what the pitching does if you can't score runs.

Also think that long term contracts tend to favor teams like the Dodger. They've been in the playoffs forever. That's a BIG selling point. I actually feel that was Ohtani's main requirement. He wanted to play in a WS.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry, brother, but that's just ridiculous. There is and always will be a strong correlation between the highest offer and where a player goes.

I don't think you really meant to write this.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, brother, but that's just ridiculous. There is and always will be a strong correlation between the highest offer and where a player goes.

I actually did mean to write this. I believe that all of the 'relevant" offers will be very close to each other. I'd say 300M-325M. I think with offfers this close there will be other factors than just the money.. How the contract is structured. Chances of going to the playoffs.

Money is of course the key component ... I think all of the offers on the table will be very close to rach other ... it just won't be the only consideration.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree for the most part. But if that’s true, why do the Giants never win for biggest and best FA’s? Are they not making the highest bid, or is money more of an object than they’re letting us to believe?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well they got $12 million in payroll relief by dumping Margot on the Dodgers. And I think DeLuca could be a good player. He doesn't strikeout much and carries a good OBP. Papiot, I think, will emerge as an ace in Tampa Bay.

Glasnow‘s high for games started was last year….at 22

I didn’t want the Giants to trade for him because he has NEVER been healthy.

like, ever.

They got rid of Margot, who is underwater

It let them keep arozarena

And they made a move to probably get more innings at cheaper levels and more control

Hell deluca might be better than Margot this year, margot’s knee has hindered his defense

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually did mean to write this. I believe that all of the 'relevant" offers will be very close to each other. I'd say 300M-325M. I think with offfers this close there will be other factors than just the money.. How the contract is structured. Chances of going to the playoffs.

Money is of course the key component ... I think all of the offers on the table will be very close to rach other ... it just won't be the only consideration.

Your honor, the prosecution rests.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree for the most part. But if that’s true, why do the Giants never win for biggest and best FA’s? Are they not making the highest bid, or is money more of an object than they’re letting us to believe?
I think two things can be true.
1. as has been stated, the offers can be very close or even equal among bidding teams. Apparently, we offered Shohei the same contract as the doyers, for example.
2. The FA can choose among similar offers for the best landing spot.

My only point was that "where he signs will have little or no relationship to how much money is offered" is on its face ridiculous. The winning offer has to be competitive. If we had offered Shohei $800M I truly believe he would have signed here.