• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yamamoto

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think two things can be true.
1. as has been stated, the offers can be very close or even equal among bidding teams. Apparently, we offered Shohei the same contract as the doyers, for example.
2. The FA can choose among similar offers for the best landing spot.

My only point was that "where he signs will have little or no relationship to how much money is offered" is on its face ridiculous. The winning offer has to be competitive. If we had offered Shohei $800M I truly believe he would have signed here.
Actually Ohtani and his people came up with the contract idea and offered it to 5 teams including the Giants. They all said yes so he picked the one he wanted.

Yamamoto just did something similar. He was no doubt offered 300+ by everyone. At that point you pick where you want to play. Pitchers park, playoffs every year, and recruited by Ohtani. Makes perfect sense

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Ohtani and his people came up with the contract idea and offered it to 5 teams including the Giants. They all said yes so he picked the one he wanted.

Yamamoto just did something similar. He was no doubt offered 300+ by everyone. At that point you pick where you want to play. Pitchers park, playoffs every year, and recruited by Ohtani. Makes perfect sense

Too much perfect sense. :(

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think two things can be true.
1. as has been stated, the offers can be very close or even equal among bidding teams. Apparently, we offered Shohei the same contract as the doyers, for example.
2. The FA can choose among similar offers for the best landing spot.

My only point was that "where he signs will have little or no relationship to how much money is offered" is on its face ridiculous. The winning offer has to be competitive. If we had offered Shohei $800M I truly believe he would have signed here.
Forgot to add, Ohtani gets something like 40 mil a year from endorsements and such, which is why he could be fine getting just 2 mil a year. A chunk more money doesn't mean anything to a guy like that. And again, he told the teams what he wanted not the other way around

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don’t make it right.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have I mentioned how much I dislike the Dodgers?

Not recently, but go ahead. You're among friends.

BTW, when living in exile in LA back in the day, almost every time we got caught in traffic, I would blurt out, "Have I ever mentioned how much I despise traffic?" And the kids would respond in unison, "Yes, Dad. ALL.THE.TIME!"

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The odds were always against us getting him. Before he was even open for bidding I read a while back he was a dodger fan when he was growing up. So unless the difference in money were so far out of reach we were never going to land him. I suggest we pass on the next available Japanese pitcher available, no need for three strikes.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The odds were always against us getting him. Before he was even open for bidding I read a while back he was a dodger fan when he was growing up. So unless the difference in money were so far out of reach we were never going to land him. I suggest we pass on the next available Japanese pitcher available, no need for three strikes.
There are two more on the market. One of them, Imanega, is pretty good too but he is also 30 years old. I'd be okay with signing him to a 4 year deal but not nearly at the same amount per year that Yamamoto got. I'd also be okay if the Giants didn't try to outbid everyone on him if it gets really expensive. At this point, they need to focus on a rebuild. Lee fits that scenario. Murphy does not. Neither does Imanega.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, only way to get better is through the draft and we better start scouting and drafting a shit ton better than we have for the past 18 years

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, only way to get better is through the draft and we better start scouting and drafting a shit ton better than we have for the past 18 years
18 years? Wat?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight Show Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stupid way to negotiate if you want to win. They offer 'x' to everyone and if you want the contract you need to offer 'x+'

We know the Dogs have a '+' in intangibles so our '+' better be in some really hard cash. btw I'd lean on Mays and Bonds in addition to Posey to close this one.

The Giants have a pretty big following with the Tokyo club, gotta believe there's something to exploit

I'm retired and available if the FO needs some consulting on how to close a deal :)

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be very easy to put this all on FZ but I don't think it's that simple. If some of the posts we are reading are totally accurate (MSGs) than we actually have a much different problem. If Ohtani's FA played out as MSG said (and I think it did) there was NO bidding at all. There wasn't a 'highest' bid ... there was only ONE monetary bid and it was Ohtani's agent that set that marker. You either met that marker or we were immediately eliminated. Othani then selected who he wanted to play for based on how each team presented their other incentives .... for a team like the Giants it is almost impossible to take out a team like the Dodgers. What incentives could we possibly offer better than the Dodgers. For the past 10 years they have won the most games in MLB play, They have gone to almost every playoff series there was ... I just don't see how you take a team like that out of the picture. If other FAs (probably only the top tier I would think) start using that same approach ... it doesn't bode well for any team looking like the current Giants. You will no longer be bidding on FAs .... they will set the price and then pick where they want to go. If you are not a top tier team you need to find a way to sell your FUTURE. You have to make them want to play on your team. I'm not sure exactly how FZ can sell the future of this team ..... as a fan .... I really don't have a clue of what the hell his plan actually is ..... other than pick-up all the stray outfielders and infielders that you can ... and hope for the best ..