• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would UK winning be bad for college basketball?

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the emotions on the faces of Wisconsin players made it even worse.

I mean, not to be a jerk, but who on the UK team really cares. You think Randle cares when he's a one and done making millions next year? You think those kids are crying if they lose?

I might be a little melodramatic but this is the kind of thing I foresaw when high school players started going straight to the NBA almost 20 years ago.

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean, not to be a jerk, but who on the UK team really cares. You think Randle cares when he's a one and done making millions next year? You think those kids are crying if they lose?

I might be a little melodramatic but this is the kind of thing I foresaw when high school players started going straight to the NBA almost 20 years ago.

You are being a jerk. Why would Julius Randle not care? He was raised by a working mother, and like anybody who loves their parents...he would want to elevate their standard of living. Are you saying you wouldn't?

Why does moving on and making money in your "career'....plus helping your family, show that you don't care about friends and college teammates? You go thru a lot of changes in your life and don't tell me you can't remember, or don't care about those highlights in your life. Gotta call bs on that statement.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are being a jerk. Why would Julius Randle not care? He was raised by a working mother, and like anybody who loves their parents...he would want to elevate their standard of living. Are you saying you wouldn't?

Why does moving on and making money in your "career'....plus helping your family, show that you don't care about friends and college teammates? You go thru a lot of changes in your life and don't tell me you can't remember, or don't care about those highlights in your life. Gotta call bs on that statement.

Agree 100%. The pure joy on the Kentucky player's faces after the end of the last 4 games shows that they very much care about winning and are having the time of their life right now.

Maybe one should consider how difficult it has been for them to live up to the INSANELY high expectations that came with a preseason #1 ranking (not to mention 40-0 talk) at the most basketball crazy school in the country.

You saw the stress on their faces all year, and now that they have figured it out and are finally having fun is when we question whether they WANT it? SMH

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't this year's UK team just even out what happened to last year's UK team? I mean if this year's UK team went 40-0 and ran through every game, then yes. But based on how much they struggled this season, and how close the games were in March, I don't think it hurts CBB at all. They obviously weren't given anything.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for Kentucky, bad for everyone else.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for Kentucky. Good for the sponsors. Good for short term ratings. Good for the NBA.
Bad for every team that isnt Kentucky.

Its by no means a push but the money is on the 'good for Kentucky' side. But there is a reason why the NFL is the #1 sport.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy it. If all that was the case, then UCLA winning 7 in a row and 9 out of 11 , with an 88 game win streak, would have destroyed CBB. And yet, here we are.

UK only got to the NIT last year. If anything, it puts another bunch of freshmen into the NBA and takes them a couple few years to actually develop, and makes an even better case to get rid of the OAD rule. Of course UK winning is good for UK. But you're never going to sell me on it being so detrimental to CBB, when there have been much more severe lopsided situations in CBB, than for Cal to win this year, or 2 out of the last 3.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky already won it all with a group of highly recruited freshman. It didn't harm college basketball any mroe than this would. It would be hard for any schools but a handful to gather a bunch of freshmen to make a run like this. Of course anything that has kids foregoing their education both on and off the court is bad for college and pro basketball which is why kids should have to wait 2 years (at least) before going to the NBA. And no they are not slaves or hostages or what ever people like to call them, they can play over seas or for semi-pro leagues if they want to make money before the NBA lets them in.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the major programs have their "time" in the sun. The early 00's was all about Duke, then Roy goes to Carolina and they become the flavor of the month. Between 2004-09, 2 national titles, 4 reg season titles, 2 ACC tourney titles, 3 Final Fours, a national player of the year. Florida had a two year run. Kansas had a small run. Then it swung back to Duke briefly, then to UConn, now Kentucky has all the momentum.

Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas or Uconn has won nine (after tomorrow) of the last 15 titles. And the pendulum will continue to swing to one of these teams.

Florida, Syracuse, Michigan State, Louisvile are just below these teams. UCLA and Indiana have been irrelevant for some time now.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, you could possibly say that the players on UK didn't care.....and the results showed.

Players that don't care don't work so hard on defense as UK did in the second round against Wichita State. Players that don't care fold and quit in tight spots and don't pull out one heart-breaker after another. Players that don't care fold their tents and go home when a Cauley-Stein gets hurt.

Players that don't care don't win. Talent be damned!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is just ignorant. Do you think that a kid born in the Metroplex (Dallas) cares about winning a final four game in his home town? The same kid that told his mom 6 yrs ago when it was announced that he would play in the Final Four when it came to Dallas. Did you see the kids faces at the end of game? They might not stay, but anyone watching knows they care. Randle rolled his ankle and came back in. He did not sit on the bench to protect his draft status.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

High school kids going to the NBA is the problem that you suppose, not the origin of it.

You really have absolutely no idea what you're talking about do you?

badinflu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm of the opinion that the Michigan team was the single most talented basketball team of all time.. Even with their deep runs, they could never put it all together however.. People talk about Kentucky now but imagine if the 1 and done rule would have existed back then.. Guys like Lebron and Garnett had Michigan as their frontrunners..

You may be forgetting about those 80's Houston Cougar teams.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be a good game.. Olajuwon was certainly the best player on both squads..

badinflu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about them?

I'm of the opinion that the Michigan team was the single most talented basketball team of all time

I would say the those Houston Cougar teams were the most talented.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm of the opinion that the Michigan team was the single most talented basketball team of all time

I would say the those Houston Cougar teams were the most talented.

THe proper name for them is Phi Slamma Jamma.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes but that was such a different time. You think the 5 starters for kentucky will be coming back for a second year, regardless of the outcome on monday? I say Randle, Young, and one Harrison minimum make the leap

I don't think the starters on this UK team are anywhere near what the fab 5 were for Michigan. I guess they all have potential, but is there anything in that performance last night that makes you believe any of these guys will stand out in the NBA? The thing to keep in mind is that every team in the NBA is big and fast. Napier was the only guy last night shooting like a pro.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the starters on this UK team are anywhere near what the fab 5 were for Michigan. I guess they all have potential, but is there anything in that performance last night that makes you believe any of these guys will stand out in the NBA? The thing to keep in mind is that every team in the NBA is big and fast. Napier was the only guy last night shooting like a pro.
-
Judging them on 1 game is a bit much. There are 7 NBA players on that team at least. I am not sure this team even matches the Pitno championship team. That team consisted of the following:

Tony Delk
Nazr Mohammed
Derek Anderson
Antione Walker
Ron Mercer
Walter McCarty

That team destroys the Fab 5.