• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would Broncos trade Miller ?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he had a number he wanted to be met, and stood firm. Between these negotiations and the way Osweiler was handled, Elway is doing himself no favors in the player relations dept.

See everybody focuses on these 2 deals but forgets that the Broncos signed plenty of other players like Okung, Wolfe, Anderson, and others to long-term deals with little to no problems. Really the Osweiler negotiations went nuts when Houston offered a guy with 7-starts $18 million a year. No way the Broncos could match that or should match that.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also have to remember right now he is already counting $14 million against the cap. So our cap number already has that part absorbed into this whole thing.

Right. I wasn't expecting anything over and beyond that.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See everybody focuses on these 2 deals but forgets that the Broncos signed plenty of other players like Okung, Wolfe, Anderson, and others to long-term deals with little to no problems. Really the Osweiler negotiations went nuts when Houston offered a guy with 7-starts $18 million a year. No way the Broncos could match that or should match that.

Just seems to be a lot of bad blood between Os and Elway. Players tend to side with players. Just an observation from an outsider.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. I wasn't expecting anything over and beyond that.

Yeah I wouldn't expect it to be much more than that. Really only way I see it being a bit more is if they already know they are going to cut Colquitt for the punter they drafted as Colquitt has a pretty high cap number and not a ton of dead money. Otherwise they will play it safe as any money not spent this year carries over anyway so it ends up equaling out.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about everyone I have ever heard of (including Broncos fans) who have met John personally thinks he's an asshole. He's not paid to be a camp counselor.

Right. But at what point does that start affecting player relationships?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seems to be a lot of bad blood between Os and Elway. Players tend to side with players. Just an observation from an outsider.

Osweiler didn't exactly leave on the best of terms with his teammates though either. He has already said he cut off communication with his teammates completely leading up to Free Agency. Same with the coaches and FO where he just didn't want to talk to anybody in the Broncos organization. So I don't think his teammates are going to look all that favorably on how he chose to leave.

Rumor wise from the sound of it he did not like getting benched in week 17 and that night after the game he and his wife went and told his agent they wanted out of Denver. So not sure the Broncos really stood a chance of mending that relationship unless they threw ridiculous money at him which makes sense for a guy like Von Miller to do but not Osweiler with only 7 starts.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about everyone I have ever heard of (including Broncos fans) who have met John personally thinks he's an asshole. He's not paid to be a camp counselor.

Not everyone can have an amiable Belichick personality. They won't let him into Disney again because all the kids flock to him and forget about Mickey

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From what people who have met him have told me this is true. He is not the nicest guy in the world but he is a great business man and works his tail off as the Broncos 2nd/3rd in command depending on how you do the hierarchy of the Broncos.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. But at what point does that start affecting player relationships?
Probably does already. I don't think I'd get too worked up over that though. Money talks, feelings usually don't. It's not as if players get in a huddle and say "screw that John Elway guy, he's a jerk" when they're looking for a payday.

Heck, it works with most GM's

"Justin Houston is mad at the Chiefs about the franchise tag"

"Justin Houston is aggressively flirting offersheets the Chiefs can't match"

"John Dorsey is cheap"

"Justin Houston will sit out 10 games"

"Justin Houston and the Chiefs are far apart"

Bs like that happens whenever there is an elite player on the tag. As soon as they get paid? All sunshine and rainbows.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably does already. I don't think I'd get too worked up over that though. Money talks, feelings usually don't. It's not as if players get in a huddle and say "screw that John Elway guy, he's a jerk" when they're looking for a payday.

"John Dorsey is cheap"

Bs like that happens whenever there is an elite player on the tag. As soon as they get paid? All sunshine and rainbows.

Yup we hear these kind of stories every year. The top teams in the league are some of the more ruthless when it comes to contract negotiations. The teams that just continue to go crazy overpaying for Free Agents are the ones that continue to dwell in the basement of the NFL. So while certain teams might get the reputation of being ruthless they still seem to have plenty of players want to sign and can usually field pretty darn competitive teams year in and year out. I mean look at NE. They might be the most ruthless team when it comes to negotiations and letting veterans go even before they stop producing and yet players still want to go play for NE.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"John Dorsey is cheap"

Bingo. This happens every year. Didn't essentially the same thing happen with Dez last year.

Players can talk about their feelings being hurt or being disrespected all they want, at the end of the day thought it almost always comes back to money. And somehow, once they get that money, all that bad blood and hurt feelings seems to go away.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not everyone can have an amiable Belichick personality. They won't let him into Disney again because all the kids flock to him and forget about Mickey
:billb:

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good cap wise if you don't sign these guys? That could be a lot of cheddar adding to the cap? Sure you can move some into later years? I wonder if this VM negotiation will affect others down the road and how they negotiate? If you move away from a couple of those players you still need to replace their talent.

CD answered the cap question top 10 in free space going forward. As for replacing talent, we have already targeted certain positions in the draft. Roby looks like he could replace Talib now. I bet we target another corner to develop if Talib leaves. We picked up safety this year and invested in OLB to replace Ware. Buying us a few years.

And I agree with Cd. signing Sanders will sink a lot of money into the WR position. Probably too much. So I can see him moving on.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CD answered the cap question top 10 in free space going forward. As for replacing talent, we have already targeted certain positions in the draft. Roby looks like he could replace Talib now. I bet we target another corner to develop if Talib leaves. We picked up safety this year and invested in OLB to replace Ware. Buying us a few years.

And I agree with Cd. signing Sanders will sink a lot of money into the WR position. Probably too much. So I can see him moving on.
It won't break my heart to see Sanders leave:D

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo. This happens every year. Didn't essentially the same thing happen with Dez last year.

Players can talk about their feelings being hurt or being disrespected all they want, at the end of the day thought it almost always comes back to money. And somehow, once they get that money, all that bad blood and hurt feelings seems to go away.

Kind of my point. So why not just give your loyal players what they're asking for to begin with if the organization is gonna obviously pay them what they want anyways?

At some point, it's possible some players and their agents won't want to deal with certain GM's.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern deals more with chemistry. First there was the Os issue, then it was the VM issue. Making things worse was Wolfe chimming in on what another player should do with their contract negotiations. No huge concern yet but it certainly isn't all roses in Mile High.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of my point. So why not just give your loyal players what they're asking for to begin with if the organization is gonna obviously pay them what they want anyways?

At some point, it's possible some players and their agents won't want to deal with certain GM's.
Because both sides are trying to get the best deal possible for themselves. If the Broncos offered Von $70 million back in February, he'd have asked for $90 million.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a two way street though. Unfortunately with the NFL they have set it up where Agents ask for way too much and teams try to low ball the contract. So it would take both sides agreeing that they are going to give their best offer both ways from the get go instead of doing this back and forth. What we have is a salesman trying to sell to a salesman.