• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

worst MLB franchise?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think you'd need to break out the criteria.

- History of futility
- Stadium
- Fan dedication
- Ownership - including willingness to invest in the ballclub
- Management

those are just a few off the top of my head.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You ask why the Indians. Yes they had some great teams in the 90s, but like the ChiSox they have been around since 1901. In their 115 years the Indians have been to 5 WS and only one 2 with the last one coming in 1948. Before the nineties, the Indians were almost always in last or next to last in the east and celler dwellers almost every year during the non division years.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think the Phillies or Indians deserve to be on the list of worst franchise of all time...

Phillies with multiple world series, and Indians have had their share of competitive teams, arguably the 95 and 97 teams one of the best to not win the WS....Both have dedicated fanbases as well.

Sure Cleveland hasn't had a world series in a long long time, but neither have the Cubs and the Cubs don't belong anywhere near this title.

The Cubs are tied with both the Phillies and Indians in titles and have more WS appearances than either of them.

If you are going all time worst franchise the Indians and Phillies are in the discussion. If you are going with the last 25 years then no neither of them deserve to be mentioned.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This gets pretty convoluted when some teams haven't been around for even 30 years while others have been around for well over 100.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs are tied with both the Phillies and Indians in titles and have more WS appearances than either of them.

If you are going all time worst franchise the Indians and Phillies are in the discussion. If you are going with the last 25 years then no neither of them deserve to be mentioned.
Well I think you need to take into account each franchises entire existence. The Phillies have recently within the last decade had a world series win and a 100+ win season. The Phillies do have the most losses than any other franchise, but they are also one of the oldest franchises...

Indians, These guys were one of the better MLB teams of the 90s and early 2000's.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This gets pretty convoluted when some teams haven't been around for even 30 years while others have been around for well over 100.
This is true, but I think you have to take into account the comparison.

Such as the Rays have been around a short time, but have had some pretty good success given how young they are compared to say a franchise like the Mariners. Or the Marlins with two world series compared to some franchise who have been around for twice as long who don't have one, or haven't won one in a very very long time.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the 94 Expos were great, because of the lockout we will never know how great. I would put the 01 Mariners and the Pirates teams from the early 90s in the same boat as teams that had the talent to win it all but failed.

I must be older, I was thinking 80's expo teams but 94 works too

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think you need to take into account each franchises entire existence. The Phillies have recently within the last decade had a world series win and a 100+ win season. The Phillies do have the most losses than any other franchise, but they are also one of the oldest franchises...

Indians, These guys were one of the better MLB teams of the 90s and early 2000's.

You are saying all time worst, but discrediting the ChiSox because two of their three titles are a hundred years old. While giving the Phillies credit for winning seven years ago, but forgetting that the Phillies didn't win their first title until their 80th season. Yes the Indians and Phillies have had great seasons in the past two decades, but how much does that make up for 8-9 decades of sucking.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are saying all time worst, but discrediting the ChiSox because two of their three titles are a hundred years old. While giving the Phillies credit for winning seven years ago, but forgetting that the Phillies didn't win their first title until their 80th season. Yes the Indians and Phillies have had great seasons in the past two decades, but how much does that make up for 8-9 decades of sucking.
You are right, but take into account different eras, different amount of teams and different playoff set up. I think winning recent titles is much more difficult and much more of an accomplishment then winning titles from the early 1900s.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So have the Indians tho. Expos had the most talented team of the 90's.

I wonder if Montreal would still have the Expos if not for the 1994 strike. That Expos roster was loaded.

That's my vote.

Zero WS.

That division is shit really. Astros have never won, Oakland has one playoff series win under BB, the Rangers have never won. Thank goodness for the rally monkey.

Forget world series, the M's haven't even won a pennant.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Montreal would still have the Expos if not for the 1994 strike. That Expos roster was loaded.

Although Mariners haven't won much, which definitely can make an argument for them to be on this list, they have produced a decent amount of good players, and have that 116 season back in 2001, followed up by numerous 90 win seasons that did not result in playoff berths.

Mariners do belong to be in this discussion though.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually now that I look closer at it I'm confused as hell.

I dunno, man. That list looks pretty good to me :whistle:

The Top 10
#1. New York Yankees (#1) — 23.45 avg.

#2. San Francisco Giants (#2) — 8.67 avg.

#3. Boston Red Sox (#3) — 7.75 avg.

#4. St. Louis Cardinals (#4) — 7.69 avg.

#5. Los Angeles Dodgers (#5) — 7.23 avg.

#6. Oakland Athletics (#7) — 5.73 avg.

#7. Atlanta Braves (#6) — 5.72 avg.

#8. Detroit Tigers (#9) — 4.93 avg.

#9. Pittsburgh Pirates (#10) — 4.75 avg.

#10. Arizona Diamondbacks (#8) — 5.44 avg.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Diego, definitely has a good argument to make this list. Hardly done much for being in such a nice city and decent market. Not sure what the issue is here.

Bad drafting, bad trades/signings(2015 could obviously be looked at as an example and even if the trades/signings didn't work out I was at least happy to see the GM try to contend and he's somewhat fixed the farm system and added enough picks to hopefully continue that), players not playing up to their potential when they're on the Padres which plays into the bad trades, and the San Diego sports curse I would say have been the main issues. They'll get that world series someday.....I just know it.....maybe. :hope:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Expos had some decent teams in the 80's too if my memory serves me correctly. Maybe if a ball bounces differently vs the Dodgers in the 81 NLCS they're still in Montreal.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expos and Marlins. "Rainbow" me if you like this.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That may be true but most of us are not 8 or 9 decades old. I am a Phillies fan and I bash the ownership for bad decisions just like any fan but the truth is in my lifetime as a fan they have been very successful overall. (I guess I was born at the right time). I became a fan in 1976. Since then they have won the division 12 times been to the World Series 5 times and won a couple. That's not bad for 40 years when you consider how many teams there are. I'm sure the the 70 years prior to that sucked, but I was not around for that.