• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst Contracts in Basketball

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah not ideal. Stan Van Gundy's parting gift to the Pistons.
Crippling.

They got worse after the deal too.

No hope for years. And he makes 40 mil if he opts in for a fifth year on his deal.

Gores should be fired as owner.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I agree.

The years and the dollar amount vs. The risk of constant injury is just absurd.

But, if you factor in production, Noah and Deng are worse.

Deng played what?

1 game before being banished?

Noah a handful and then he hit the roids?

Deng got banished, not because he can't play......but because the new FO team new wanted to develop the youngsters.
i am not counting this year since its basically over.

and that JR Smith is 15.68 is only partially guaranteed....very little of it is guaranteed.

as I said- any non-guaranteed team options i left off as they would be very unlikely to be picked up- as opposed to player options that would be very likely to pick up.

its why i actually looked stuff up rather than talking out of my ass

2 years 26 for Clarkson is definitely not good but its HARDLY anywhere near one of the worst 30 contracts in basketball.

Hill isn't an HM, it's somewhere in the top 25.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude i looked at it and tried to get it on there but hte dolar values are just not there

He averaged just 2.4ppg, 3rpg, and 1.8apg in 12 games but makes just under 13 million next season.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deng got banished, not because he can't play......but because the new FO team new wanted to develop the youngsters.

Hill isn't an HM, it's somewhere in the top 25.
Deng got banished because he's cooked.

Brewer, Bogut still got a few minutes.

Deng didn't because he's garbage.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh yah--- id much rather have not won a playoff game for the better part of a decade then won a title and been to 3 straight finals. lol

And what happens when the Cavs are rebuilding and don't sniff the playoffs for 8-10 years?

The Lakers have many titles while the Cavs will have 1 in their entire history.

Better franchise is easily the Lakers, it's not even close really.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deng's is definitely up there, but is made even worse by the decision between Deng and the Lakers to just not play him. He still has value, but is seen as basically being out of the league as the Lakers move forward with the kids.

Exactly. In his first season with the Lakers he averaged 10ppg and 7ppg in 36 minutes per game. Not justifying that contract at all but definitely not as bad as Bazemore, Turner, Noah, Mahinmi, and a few others on that list.

It was still a bad contract by the previous regime.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t believe Wesley Mathews isn’t on this list.

Go back to the deandre Jordan negotiations, Mark Cuban and company met with Wesley Mathews and he was probably going to get 3 years 30 million. Mark Cuban wanted to “ reward” him for committing so early, thinking it helped give them momentum in the Jordan chase. Cuban promised that after they give deandre Jordan a max deal, Matthews would get “ what’s left over”.

Jordan re-negged on the deal and Cuban stubbornly gave Matthews a max deal. A guy who just ruptured his Achilles the season before.

Good addition.

He has 1 season left at 18.6million....he averaged 12.7ppg, 3rpg, and 2.7apg in just 63 games.

I'm guessing he'll be flipped as an expiring contract this summer or at the trade deadline but he has just 1 year left on his deal. I think Wiggy was using players with multiple seasons left on their deals.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shumpert made 10.3 mill this past season. He averaged 4.4ppg in just 14 games and has 1 season left at 11 mill with the Kings. Wiggy liked this deal when they signed him with the Cavs. I didn't.

#TimevindicatesDJ

MikeMed

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,090.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst contract.

Chandler Parsons signed a 4 YR $97 million dollar contract with Memphis.
His first 2 years he has been often injured with back and knee injuries that limits his games /minutes
His first 2 years he has AVG 7P TS 2.5 rebounds and under 2 assists per game.
He is still owed $50 million for the next 2 seasons
He will likely be battling these knee and back injuries over the next 2 years and beyond.
They have 3 players making over $25 million for the 2018-19 season - they are not competitive now and will never be able to dump Parsons contract to bring in help..........This contract is killing them.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree that Griffin is the worst contract in basketball. While it is the biggest contract, Griffin provides value at least when he is on the court.

I also think the Gallinari contract is too high on your list. As is Mike Conley.

There is a difference between injured players don't meeting their expectations and horrible players getting paid ridiculous amounts of money.

Tristan Thompson is way too low. And Alan Crabbe definitely deserves higher than honorable mention. And where the heck is JR Smith?

IMO, the worst contracts out there are..

1 Luol Deng - NEarly $20 million a year to keep a seat warm for a non-playoff team is just atrocious
2. Joakim Noah - See above except he does occasionally make a cameo
3. Tim Mozgov - See above
4. Chandler Parsons - He should probably be higher on the list but I honestly never watch the Grizzlies.
5. Evan Turner - A straight up paycheck thief. Honestly there are several players who could take this spot as paycheck thieves.
You took the words right out of my mouth - Deng should be #1 -Griffin can play ball and contributes even though he is over-rated and I would put Carmelo Anthony a little higher on that list

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pau freaking Gasol is getting paid $16M PER YEAR for three years and isn't doing a damn thing. This contract needs to be on the list.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. In his first season with the Lakers he averaged 10ppg and 7ppg in 36 minutes per game. Not justifying that contract at all but definitely not as bad as Bazemore, Turner, Noah, Mahinmi, and a few others on that list.

It was still a bad contract by the previous regime.

Yes it is though.

Especially when you factor in where the team was in their rebuilding phase when they signed him.

Those other teams were all playoff teams (or thought they were) at the time those deals were done. While Noah's deal was truly terrible, the Knicks thought Noah and Rose were going to help Melo and Porzingas contend in the East. It was stupid, but not nearly as stupid as what they Lakers did. A team with no shot at sniffing the playoffs should not sign a player with as much mileage as Deng to a long term deal.

And those others you mentioned aren't even in the ballpark of being as bad as Deng's. Again because of circumstance for the teams involved and age of the players they got.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You took the words right out of my mouth - Deng should be #1 -Griffin can play ball and contributes even though he is over-rated and I would put Carmelo Anthony a little higher on that list

Melo only has 1 year left. He would actually have trade value if not for his no trade clause.