• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With the signing of Melton

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at Shazier I don't know that it would be much of a reach at 16. Speed kills. He would be great next to Lee. If Melton is healthy we can look elsewhere for guys that fit the scheme. Terrance Brooks would be a major upgrade in the safety rotation. He is very fast and instinctive

I like Shazier, but if I wanted him, I'd trade down 6-7 spots. I wouldn't take him at 16

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Shazier, but if I wanted him, I'd trade down 6-7 spots. I wouldn't take him at 16

So he is a good pick at #22, but not at #16? I get wanting to move down a dozen or more spots for a player you don't think is worth it at #16, but 6 spots? How different in the grand scheme of things are players taken 6 spots apart in an NFL draft? I think sometimes you guys get too hung up on the mocks and think it is an accurate portrayal of where a guy should and will go...You like a guy, you better take him because it only takes one other team liking him to ensure you won't get him if you pass.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he is a good pick at #22, but not at #16? I get wanting to move down a dozen or more spots for a player you don't think is worth it at #16, but 6 spots? How different in the grand scheme of things are players taken 6 spots apart in an NFL draft? I think sometimes you guys get too hung up on the mocks and think it is an accurate portrayal of where a guy should and will go...You like a guy, you better take him because it only takes one other team liking him to ensure you won't get him if you pass.

I think it makes a huge difference. If you use the point scale Jimmy/Jerry are famous for, the Cowboys 16th overall is worth 1000 points. For a 6 spot drop to #22(780 points), you should get at least the other teams 3rd rounder(160 points) and 4th rounder(58 points) to even make it an even trade. I think if Shazier were the guy you wanted, you could drop down to #22 and most likely, still get Shazier, while adding a 3rd and 4th in the process, which in this deep draft, would be almost like adding a 2nd and 3rd value wise. And if you didn't get Shazier, there are plenty of other worthy guys there at #22

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the draft chart, but if your goal is a particular player and you trade down 6 spots to take him you deserve to have someone take him before you. If you like no one, trade down. But if you have a guy you like you need to take him if you think the fair value is only 6 spots away.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the draft chart, but if your goal is a particular player and you trade down 6 spots to take him you deserve to have someone take him before you. If you like no one, trade down. But if you have a guy you like you need to take him if you think the fair value is only 6 spots away.

I agree with that. When he mentioned Shazier and I said I liked him, but not at 16, I meant there were 7-8 players I'd probably take over him there. I probably should have clarified that

Last edited by a moderator:

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jerry will probably still be looking at Donald, Ealy, Dix or Pryor at 16, regardless of the Melton signing. I think the one thing signing Melton did is it allows Jerry to also take a top 10 caliber player if they were to fall to 16. No one ever thought Randy Moss would make it past 5, let alone 20, you never know. If a kid the OLB Barr or one of the OT's, Robinson, ,Matthews or Lewan fell, it frees Jerry up to take them with Melton on board
been looking through a lot of Mock drafts. Dix never gets to us (they usually have rams taking him) most have us taking either prior or Arnold (so I assume they are all pre melton signing)
One Mock (where they have us taking prior) Arnold fell all the way to 32 to seattle. But most he goes in the teens. Ealy though is all in the late 20's & one doesnt even have him in the 1st round. A lot of the DEs go in the late 1st round or later. So I think the trading back is a very real possiblity, & still land a quality need on defense.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
been looking through a lot of Mock drafts. Dix never gets to us (they usually have rams taking him) most have us taking either prior or Arnold (so I assume they are all pre melton signing)
One Mock (where they have us taking prior) Arnold fell all the way to 32 to seattle. But most he goes in the teens. Ealy though is all in the late 20's & one doesnt even have him in the 1st round. A lot of the DEs go in the late 1st round or later. So I think the trading back is a very real possiblity, & still land a quality need on defense.

I agree. The one variable none of the mocks can account for is draft day trades, which can change everything for several teams. As to Donald, I don't think he makes it to us, with Chicago losing Melton, he would be a great fit for them

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now I think your just doing it on purpose!!!

On Dix: I'm surprised you NEVER see him getting to us. I'm not a big fan of all of these mocks, but I would think it's a little better than 50/50 that he is there when we pick. Top safeties have been going early, but I'm not sure he is quite the prospect of some of the others. He is still my top choice and I'd take him if it were up to me, but I don't think Jerry does it so I won't be disappointed if we pass. I'd be just as happy with a guy like Ward in the 2nd. So many holes and so many great players...going to be an interesting few minutes when we are on the clock...

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK! I know this is supposed to be a deep draft and that one would have to work very hard not to get at least two bona fide starters, but I'm not liking the trading down thing. Jerry doesn't do that well. It seems that every time he does a trade down, he gets an extra pick or two but then ends up using one of those picks to take on a project that eventually ends up being released in a couple of years. All that we end up with, then, is a lesser player than we could have had.

I'm hoping we stay at 16 and pick Dix or Donald/Ealy. If all three are there, Dix. If Dix is gone, take which ever of the other two are still there or which ever is higher rated on the draft board.

If Jerry wants another second, I hope he finds a way to trade a player on the roster to get it, rather than trade back. I'm not sure who that would be, but I just don't trust Jerry's trade downs, not even in this deep draft year.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we stay at 16 as well.

No reason to think Dix, Prior, Ealy, Jernigan, or even Hageman can't help this team.

Funny part to me is a poster saying this guy or that guy are 10/15 picks to soon at that spot when these rankings are nothing but opinions. I say if you see a sure fire football players that helps your team immediately, then draft the guy and worry not what Kiper's grade is

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh and to better explain why I think that

Draft is deep at certain positions .... Thin at others....

Those thin positions are gonna be jumped on fast and over drafted .... Where it's deep .. I think those guys drops ....
Which is what every Cowboys fan should hope for .. Especially if we get an incredible trade over someone that dropped 5-10 spots because of it

The most important thing I'm hoping for as a Cowboy fan is for Jerry to hit on a pick after Round 3.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we stay at 16 as well.

No reason to think Dix, Prior, Ealy, Jernigan, or even Hageman can't help this team.

Funny part to me is a poster saying this guy or that guy are 10/15 picks to soon at that spot when these rankings are nothing but opinions. I say if you see a sure fire football players that helps your team immediately, then draft the guy and worry not what Kiper's grade is
Obviously the Cowboys & Kiper arent on the same page. Kiper thinks all our picks are wacked. LOL

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see no reason why the Cowboys can't get 3 new starters out of this draft. I would be thrilled if we got a new lb,fs and dt out of the draft. Cowboys desperately need a cover linebacker next to lee. Shazier at 16 would really help the coverage issues we have. We need speed at safety. The roster is filled with slow plodding safeties that can't cover. I would suggest drafting Brooks from fsu in the 2nd round. He is underrated and fast.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think ealy is kind of a project. I question his desire and not impressed with his motor. Crichton on the other hand looks like a baller. He has the intensity we need. Ealy looks like a bust waiting to happen

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of god and anything holy

Can one of you replace the "member" status under Arlington's name with board FOOL...Board Clown.... Or insert whatever ......... but it shouldnt be member

He makes the rest of us look bad

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you Twist.

On the other hand, his stupidity permits posters like me, who doesn't know as much about the inner workings of the game as others, to post without the fear of looking like a complete ass-clown.

I figure that no matter what I say, it can't be as filled with ignorance as Arlington's posts.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of god and anything holy

Can one of you replace the "member" status under Arlington's name with board FOOL...Board Clown.... Or insert whatever ......... but it shouldnt be member

He makes the rest of us look bad

Post of the day right there. Hell it's in the running for post of the year.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you Twist.

On the other hand, his stupidity permits posters like me, who doesn't know as much about the inner workings of the game as others, to post without the fear of looking like a complete ass-clown.

I figure that no matter what I say, it can't be as filled with ignorance as Arlington's posts.

Dude your opinion is as good as mine or anyone else .... Everyone has an opinion

It's the off the wall shit that gets erks me ( and some others)

There is football opinion ..... Then there is " I can make it work on Madden" ..... and then just straight ignorant.

Ignorant is funny to a point ... then it gets old..... and once it does .... you stop laughing