• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With the signing of Melton

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at it like this ......

Frederick is probably the best Center taken in a draft since Mangold.....

Yet a year later .... Still people saying "mighta been there" "coulda been there"

we coulda done other "crap" Still bitching about about an awesome fucking pick .... That also got us a 700+ yard rookie receiver

You wanna hear a year of screaming ..... over draft a Defensive Tackle...... This board will have to issue tissues for 80% of the posters on here

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think we draft a safety in the 2nd round. Although the melton signing might have muddied that water a bit.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think we draft a safety in the 2nd round. Although the melton signing might have muddied that water a bit.

Not quite sure what you're saying. Are you saying that the signing of Melton may mean we go S in the first? Hell I thought it was the possible before Melton. I was hard set on DT in the first up to about three weeks ago. The more I read up on S and DT in this draft I thought there is a bigger drop off with the S than with the DT. S is my#1 choice in Rd 1 this year. Not saying we can't get a quality S in rd 2 or 3 but I like the top 2 safeties much more than the rest.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not quite sure what you're saying. Are you saying that the signing of Melton may mean we go S in the first? Hell I thought it was the possible before Melton. I was hard set on DT in the first up to about three weeks ago. The more I read up on S and DT in this draft I thought there is a bigger drop off with the S than with the DT. S is my#1 choice in Rd 1 this year. Not saying we can't get a quality S in rd 2 or 3 but I like the top 2 safeties much more than the rest.

Well I was thinking it was gonna be a DT in the 1st. Now it is kinda wide open what we take, meaning a better chance at taking a safety in the 1st, but I still think we take a safety in the 2nd. believe it will be something else in the 1st.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I was thinking it was gonna be a DT in the 1st. Now it is kinda wide open what we take, meaning a better chance at taking a safety in the 1st, but I still think we take a safety in the 2nd. believe it will be something else in the 1st.

it would not surprise me if JJ trades down and goes after OG (Xavier Su'a-Filo, David Yankey) in the 1st

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would not surprise me if JJ trades down and goes after OG (Xavier Su'a-Filo, David Yankey) in the 1st

I would .......

Don't think Jerry values guards as 1st rounders.
Now a tackle .... wouldn't surprise me but so much..... but still our O-line became a strength last year

I see defense all the way.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Jerry will probably still be looking at Donald, Ealy, Dix or Pryor at 16, regardless of the Melton signing. I think the one thing signing Melton did is it allows Jerry to also take a top 10 caliber player if they were to fall to 16. No one ever thought Randy Moss would make it past 5, let alone 20, you never know. If a kid the OLB Barr or one of the OT's, Robinson, ,Matthews or Lewan fell, it frees Jerry up to take them with Melton on board

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jerry will probably still be looking at Donald, Ealy, Dix or Pryor at 16, regardless of the Melton signing. I think the one thing signing Melton did is it allows Jerry to also take a top 10 caliber player if they were to fall to 16. No one ever thought Randy Moss would make it past 5, let alone 20, you never know. If a kid the OLB Barr or one of the OT's, Robinson, ,Matthews or Lewan fell, it frees Jerry up to take them with Melton on board

Donald, Ealy, or Clinton-Dix at 16 is possible..... Other than that I see a trade down.

Depends on how you value guys.

Which IMO the way I look at the draft. between 10-20 you can draft a guy values 5-6 spots values lower ...anything more and you have to look for a trade down.
And if a guy falls those 5-6 spots.... You have to seriously consider jumping on him.... Need or not.

farther along you are in the draft the more you can reach..... Pick 25 or lower ( Like we did with Frederick last year) Pick #32 .... so what if he was upper middle 2nd round rated..... #32 is basically a 2nd rounder anyway .... you can reach those 10 spots especially if it's a need position ...

It's really not just all about being 1st it's about where in the 1st round

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald, Ealy, or Clinton-Dix at 16 is possible..... Other than that I see a trade down.

Depends on how you value guys.

Which IMO the way I look at the draft. between 10-20 you can draft a guy values 5-6 spots values lower ...anything more and you have to look for a trade down.
And if a guy falls those 5-6 spots.... You have to seriously consider jumping on him.... Need or not.

farther along you are in the draft the more you can reach..... Pick 25 or lower ( Like we did with Frederick last year) Pick #32 .... so what if he was upper middle 2nd round rated..... #32 is basically a 2nd rounder anyway .... you can reach those 10 spots especially if it's a need position ...

It's really not just all about being 1st it's about where in the 1st round
I think that's especially the case in this draft. If you look at some of the guys projected to be available in the late first, you're still talking about a similar prospect to what you might find at 16. Instead of Donald you might get Hageman, instead of Dix, maybe Pryor, you're getting a similar vallue

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's especially the case in this draft. If you look at some of the guys projected to be available in the late first, you're still talking about a similar prospect to what you might find at 16. Instead of Donald you might get Hageman, instead of Dix, maybe Pryor, you're getting a similar vallue

I think the blueprint is there.... and has been there for along time

It goes all the way back to the Ravens 1st Superbowl win ( even longer but I'm trying to stay within most people recent memory)

Ravens 1st Superbowl .... Dilfer sucked balls ALWAYS did
Defense and running game.... half ass Qb can win and did
Look at Seattle.
Defense built .. O-line built ... running game .... you can put a young Qb on a rookie contract and put him behind that and win
San Fran same thing
Look back to the Ravens again
Flacco came into the league ... defense there check... running game check ... young Qb winning check

Even look at the Jets and Sanchez.... ( who might be jobless in the next week) Running game check O-line check defense check ..... going to championship games check

I think Calvin Johnson is the best player in the game right now ....... But I WOULD NOT build a team around him .... They have what one playoff appearance with him?

Cowboys a few years ago ... most pro bowlers of any team..... got us where? Enough said

If I'm a team like Cleveland .... I trade all my 1st round picks ( If I could get value) fix my team .... then put a Qb behind a fixed team in next years draft

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should also threw in the Steelers ....

Big Ben wasn't great when he came into the league

Defense Check
Running game Check
Worst Qb ranking ever in a Superbowl game Check
Superbowl win reguardless .... check

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am gonna trust some the people that like dix. There are only a handfull I would take at 16:Donald,Lewan,Dix and possibly Prior. If Donald and Lewan are gone then maybe snag Dix or Prior. If those guys are gone I trade down and get an extra pick or two. Crichton or Sazier could possibly be had. If Daquan Jones is on the board in the 3rd round I take him to play 1 tech. He is big and powerful run stopper and gets pressure on the qb. Any damn receivers,running backs,fullbacks or tight ends get taken in the 1st 5 rounds I am gonna get pisst

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am gonna add something for the steelers.

Paying off refs in the superbowl, check

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should also threw in the Steelers ....

Big Ben wasn't great when he came into the league

Defense Check
Running game Check
Worst Qb ranking ever in a Superbowl game Check
Superbowl win reguardless .... check

How about Eli Manning? When the Giants had that awesome defensive line, they were winning Super Bowls. Once the DL started to weaken....not so much

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Eli Manning? When the Giants had that awesome defensive line, they were winning Super Bowls. Once the DL started to weaken....not so much

Only reason I didn't name him is because he didn't win a Superbowl or goto one on a rookie contract

Which neither did Dilfer ..... But Dilfer just flat out sucked moose dong so I threw him in there anyway LOL

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at Shazier I don't know that it would be much of a reach at 16. Speed kills. He would be great next to Lee. If Melton is healthy we can look elsewhere for guys that fit the scheme. Terrance Brooks would be a major upgrade in the safety rotation. He is very fast and instinctive

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IRVING, Texas -- Henry Melton will make as little as $2.25 million with the Dallas Cowboys in 2014 and as much as $29 million over the next four seasons, according to league sources

The Cowboys gave Melton, who is coming back from a torn anterior cruciate ligament, a $1 million signing bonus as part of the deal he agreed to Tuesday night with a $1.25 million base salary. He can earn an extra $78,125 per week if he is on the 46-man roster, maxing out at $1.25 million. His first-year cap number at present is $1.734 million but will grow through the season each week he is on the gameday roster.

The kicker in the deal comes in 2015 when he would earn a fully guaranteed $9 million base salary. The base salaries in 2016-17 are $7.5 million each.

There are also $1.5 million in incentives in the deal for playing time and sacks in 2014.

The Cowboys have to exercise the option on the final three years of the deal by the first day of the 2015 league year. If they don't, then they would have $750,000 in dead money on the cap and Melton will be an unrestricted free agent. If they do, then Melton's cap number in 2015 would be $9.25 million, which the Cowboys could easily restructure to create salary-cap room.

The Cowboys have a deal that is the ultimate "prove it," concept. If Melton plays like he did in 2012 when he earned Pro Bowl honors, then he will be paid. If he doesn't, then the Cowboys maintain financial flexibility.

"I didn't have to be talked into [the contract] at all," Melton said. "I knew what was out there. The ACL scares a lot of teams and a lot of people. You can come back great from it. That's something that I believe I can do. Just have to buckle down and get physically and mentally ready and train my butt off just to be ready to go."

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that he can be on the team, but not get paid if he doesn't make the game day roster. Let's hope his cap hit is the full amount and he plays like 2012...

I know the contract terms seem to change every few hours, but I still haven't seen even one version of his contract that I didn't think was a great deal for us.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that he can be on the team, but not get paid if he doesn't make the game day roster. Let's hope his cap hit is the full amount and he plays like 2012...

I know the contract terms seem to change every few hours, but I still haven't seen even one version of his contract that I didn't think was a great deal for us.

agreed.........that jerry, always the kidder & spoils us with this contract.:omg: