• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wisconsin at Arizona State Game Thread

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look guys, here's the deal.

Wisconsin lost a chance to win the game because of an egregious error by the officials. That's not in dispute. The officials have been reprimanded and suspended by their own conference.

In retrospect, perhaps this would have been avoided if Stave had handed the ball to the ref, but every rules expert that's been interviewed about this says that he did nothing wrong by placing the ball on the ground. It was definitely not a fumble.

I won't accuse the ASU player that fell on the ball of trying to run out the clock intentionally, but this is in effect what happened. The clock should have been stopped when a defensive player grabbed a dead ball (referee fuck-up #2).

We don't know for sure that Wisconsin would have won the game on its FG try, but it's a pretty good bet that even Kyle French drills a 30-yarder from head on. At the very least, the errors by the officials prevent any of us from knowing who would have won the game if that play was properly officiated.

Wisconsin now has a loss on its record, and there's nothing that can be done about that. If they end up going 10-2 with our only other loss at Ohio State, then it could well be a loss that costs them a BCS at-large berth (much more likely that Wisconsin would get this than the CCG loser). It's dropped them in the polls, even though it shouldn't*. They can still win the Big Ten and hopefully bounce back to beat the ever-living shit out of Purdon't this weekend.

* Not even talking about the botched refereeing here. Logically, if you think ASU is one of the best 25 teams, and Wisconsin played them down to the final play on the road, then Wisconsin must be one of the best 25 teams as well. I think we can all agree that these were evenly matched teams.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wisconsin lost a chance to win the game because of an egregious error by the officials. That's not in dispute. The officials have been reprimanded and suspended by their own conference.

In retrospect, perhaps this would have been avoided if Stave had handed the ball to the ref, but every rules expert that's been interviewed about this says that he did nothing wrong by placing the ball on the ground. It was definitely not a fumble.

I won't accuse the ASU player that fell on the ball of trying to run out the clock intentionally, but this is in effect what happened. The clock should have been stopped when a defensive player grabbed a dead ball (referee fuck-up #2).

We don't know for sure that Wisconsin would have won the game on its FG try, but it's a pretty good bet that even Kyle French drills a 30-yarder from head on. At the very least, the errors by the officials prevent any of us from knowing who would have won the game if that play was properly officiated.

Wisconsin now has a loss on its record, and there's nothing that can be done about that. If they end up going 10-2 with our only other loss at Ohio State, then it could well be a loss that costs them a BCS at-large berth (much more likely that Wisconsin would get this than the CCG loser). It's dropped them in the polls, even though it shouldn't*. They can still win the Big Ten and hopefully bounce back to beat the ever-living shit out of Purdon't this weekend.

* Not even talking about the botched refereeing here. Logically, if you think ASU is one of the best 25 teams, and Wisconsin played them down to the final play on the road, then Wisconsin must be one of the best 25 teams as well. I think we can all agree that these were evenly matched teams.

You guys are fine its the people that are changing there avatars and acting like ASU cheated, Stave knee did hit but we needed to see a picture of it? Which basically means we couldn't tell watching it live, which means it could of been a fumble and the ASU players could fall on it. There were awful calls all game ASU held 10 times, Wisconsin held hood in the end zone which should of been a safety, you had an ineligible man down field on the fake punt which should of resulted in a penalty and a turnover on downs, Your Wide Receiver stepped out 2 times the ball should of been spotted at midfield on that last drive, and officials were being unfair with pass interference's you guys would have solid coverage than bam flag came in we also held a lot this game. and a couple weren't pass interference's. Horrible officials, I don't wanna hear Wisconsin fans blaming it on us or showing up on our board next week if we do lose...

Last edited by a moderator:

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And to reply to your comment, this was only our second game of reps you have had 3 but it doesn't really make a difference, the teams match up really well and if we played you 10 times this year every game would go down to the wire.

BlackSand

Pirate At Large
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn ... Tuesday morning and the party is still going on.
Coffee, Bloody Marys, Mimosas ... Maybe some breakfast casserole anyone?

I watched the film many times ... And it looked like things could have been handled better by both teams and the referees ... But they weren't, and shit sucks sometimes.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now it's time for your replay officials to own up to the fact they could have reviewed the entire scenario and didn't.

Teach your officials the rules and maybe these things won't happen.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah replay officials were B1G officials, and replay officials have authority over on field officials so they could have easily stopped this game.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if anybody saw Sportscenter this morning, but Coach Andersen addressed what happened. He basically said,

"Let's all be clear. Stave took the knee. The refs blew it dead because they saw him take a knee. At that moment, Joel put the ball down because that makes the process quicker. At the time, there were no referees next to him and he would have had to flip the ball a long ways to them. That takes time."

It couldn't be more clear. If you guys want to blame the victim, go ahead. We didn't break any rules. It wasn't remotely foreseeable that putting the ball on the ground would cost us fifteen seconds. We were owed a chance for a field goal. I don't know that we make it, but I feel pretty confident saying it was more likely than not.

In my mind, it's an asterisk. ASU is a great team. Taylor Kelly was the best player in the game besides Melvin. Had you not had so many drops or the bad special teams error, you probably would have won. But that was a mistake you guys made on the field. I just wish we were given the opportunity to lose because of how we played on the field.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It couldn't be more clear. If you guys want to blame the victim, go ahead. We didn't break any rules
Nobody broke any rules. It was crappy officiating by the field refs and the replay booth.

ASU won. Wisconsin lost. Everything else is could've would've should've yeah but's and maybe.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody broke any rules. It was crappy officiating by the field refs and the replay booth.

ASU won. Wisconsin lost. Everything else is could've would've should've.

IE they broke the rules. What was your point, exactly?

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the fuck is a Washington Huskies fan taking such an interest in this thread anyway?

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point is ASU won.

Deal with that.

ps. Stop pretending the B1G officials aren't just as responsible as the pac officials. They are, and even moreso in my eyes. They need to own up to their lack of knowledge and be reprimanded and sanctioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the fuck is a Washington Huskies fan taking such an interest in this thread anyway?

Well according to you clowns it's the greatest rip off in sports history. So any fan of the game would have an interest.

I also find it amusing.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point is ASU won.

Deal with that.

That's not the point, or else none of us would argue with you (that it is officially a loss). The point is you want to blame our coach and QB for something that was entirely not their fault. It's wrong and you and some of your PAC brethren have represented yourselves very poorly.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not the point, or else none of us would argue with you (that it is officially a loss). The point is you want to blame our coach and QB for something that was entirely not their fault. It's wrong and you and some of your PAC brethren have represented yourselves very poorly.

Your coach and qb have said they erred in the handling of the play. Stave himself said he should have given the ball to the ref instead of taking it upon himself to spot it.

So they do bare some of the responsibility. By their own admission.

Not as much as the officials though, especially the replay booth.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your coach and qb have said they erred in the handling of the play. Stave himself said he should have given the ball to the ref instead of taking it upon himself to spot it.

So they do bare some of the responsibility. By their own admission.

I believe he was saying that with some sarcasm, in a manner that he clearly needs to do everything for the officials so they don't fuck up. There wasn't an official closer than 25 feet away from him, so it would've made no sense for him just to stand there with the ball waiting for the officials to come over. The HC has even said that. If the refs hadn't screwed up so horribly, nobody would be saying a word about Stave putting the ball on the ground.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
d8868.jpg

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he was saying that with some sarcasm

I don't think so.

Want to make an avi bet? Next time the situation occurs if he takes it upon himself to spot the ball, you win. If he gives the ball to the official I win.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you. I think we probably disagree on the degree of fault but I think we can agree it was dubious. I'm done with this thread unless we get robbed of a BCS game at season's end.