• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Winners & Losers of Free Agency

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post your teams you thought did the best and worst respectively on here.

Winners-

Spurs: Obviously. Re-signed Leonard & Green and went out and landed LMA.

Bucks: Re-signed Middleton & Monroe was a great fit for them, think he'll be a huge addition.

Pacers: Ellis's contract was an absolute steal. They probably aren't done yet either.

Pelicans: Re-signed Anthony Davis & Omer Asik… one of the top front courts in the league locked up.

Losers-

Nets- Committed a lot of $$$ to B Lopez & Thad Young why?! Pick a direction already.

Blazers- Lost 4 starters…. nuff said.

Kings- Made one of the dumbest trades in NBA history to clear space for Rondo, Koufos and Bellinelli. Got rejected by 6-7 FA's even with them offering more $ than the team they signed with PLUS pissed off their franchise player and have coach drama…. AGAIN. Worst offseason in recent memory.

Lakers- Lost out on DJ, LMA & Love. Second straight summer coming up empty handed. BUT I do applaud them for not giving out a dumb desperation contract that would handicap them in the future.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to disagree with about your list, but I'm nominating my team to be listed as a winner.

Dragic resigned day 1 leaving 20M on the table. My guess is that he got Riley to agree to keep his brother around, but that's more then fair plus I think the kid is talented.

Deng opted in.

Wade agreed to just the 1 year deal, as Riley wanted, so we can still be a player next summer.

So, as of now, A+.

We still need a shooter or 2, but that shouldn't be a big deal to address.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losers:

Phoenix Suns - Trading away half the team in hope of landing Aldridge...

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knicks have to be on that list of losers, at the top.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't disagree with anything on that list. As far as winners are concerned, I would maybe put the 76ers since they got away with armed robbery. Head didn't do bad either.

As for losers, I would definitely put the Suns up there since they failed to get Aldridge after clearing all that cap space.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not over yet

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add the Suns, take off the Lakers

The Lakers made sales pitches, but they did not lose any assets. Players just politely declined.
It was understandable considering how far away they still are from contending.

Had the Lakers foolishly lost any of their future assets in attempts to sign guys it would be a diffrent story, but they kept all the future value chips.

The Lakers then did not over-react in a panic to throw silly Tristan Thompson cash around on 2nd tier guys.
I would not necessarily call that being a loser free agency period.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Winners-

Bucks: Re-signed Middleton & Monroe was a great fit for them, think he'll be a huge addition.

Pacers: Ellis's contract was an absolute steal. They probably aren't done yet either.

Pelicans: Re-signed Anthony Davis & Omer Asik… one of the top front courts in the league locked up.

Losers-

Nets- Committed a lot of $$$ to B Lopez & Thad Young why?! Pick a direction already.

Kings- Made one of the dumbest trades in NBA history to clear space for Rondo, Koufos and Bellinelli. Got rejected by 6-7 FA's even with them offering more $ than the team they signed with PLUS pissed off their franchise player and have coach drama…. AGAIN. Worst offseason in recent memory.

Lakers- Lost out on DJ, LMA & Love. Second straight summer coming up empty handed. BUT I do applaud them for not giving out a dumb desperation contract that would handicap them in the future.
The Mavs improved their team too.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add the Suns, take off the Lakers

The Lakers made sales pitches, but they did not lose any assets. Players just politely declined.
It was understandable considering how far away they still are from contending.

Had the Lakers foolishly lost any of their future assets in attempts to sign guys it would be a diffrent story, but they kept all the future value chips.

The Lakers then did not over-react in a panic to throw silly Tristan Thompson cash around on 2nd tier guys.
I would not necessarily call that being a loser free agency period.

^^^THIS^^^

Clearly, the Lakers were on the cusp of a potentially disastrous FA period. They could have easily panicked and made a dumb trade out of desperation (like trading Randle and Russell for Boogie). Or given up too much for Hibbert just to be able to say "Well, at least we did something."

In the end, I'd say that as of now, the Lakers were neither winners or losers in this FA. There is the potential to be winners if Hibbert actually comes close to the level he showed a couple of seasons ago.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Winners-

Losers-

:lol: @ not having the Suns on your list.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winners:

Golden State - resigned Green which was huge. Still have Lee dangling out there to be traded. I actually think they should keep him and not salary dump him because it will probably cost them Looney and a future first for some team to take on that salary.

San Antonio - resigned Greene and Leonard. And obviously signing Aldridge was a game changer.

Philadelphia - Keeps adding assets to the future. For 2016 they now have the Lakers(top 3 protected), Heat and OKC's first round picks, along with their own. Added the Kings 1st in 2018 with swap rights for two other drafts. 2017-2018 could see the Sixers in the playoffs and they'll have a TON of cap space. The Cavs are going to run the east for the next 3-4 years so after that run is over the east will be wide open.

Milwaukee - Adding Monroe and keeping Middleton should keep the bucks in contention for HCA for the next 2-3 years.

Losers:

Kings - Gave up future assets to get marginally better and still will finish outside the playoffs.

I guess the Blazers are a loser for losing Aldridge, but they did add a young piece in Vonleh, resigned Lillard, and now have a shit load of cap for next year. This could be a quick fix after a down year this year.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winner: Spurs
Loser: Suns

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings give up 1 1st round pick in the future(top 10 protected), 2 swap picks that probably won't even be swapped, and Stauskas to give themselves a chance to compete for a playoff spot NOW and hopefully keep their star player long term. Might not work out and I know it's fun to say how much of a joke the Kings are, but to say it's one of the worst trades in NBA history is insane. They actually made their team better this offseason, I guess the what ifs of a future pick and a guy who shot 37% last season take away from that.

Now if the pick they gave up turns into a multiple time all star and Stauskas becomes a top SG in the NBA then it's logical to say that. But right now it's just a top 10 protected pick and a rookie who was horrible for most of last season plus 2 players who have no value.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dumbest trades*

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remove the Lakers off the list. Like the Bass & Williams signings actually. They did well for not landing a big name. Hibbert was a nice risk for them as well.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: @ not having the Suns on your list.

Why? Brandon Knight for 5 years and 70 mil is a good value considering the salary cap rise and his age/potential. I mean Reggie Jackson got 5 years 80 mil for christ's sake!

Tyson Chandler gives us a much needed veteran presence in the locker room and allows us to have a legit 7 footer on the floor at all times with him and Alex Len. He'll probably start the first two years then once Len emerges (still only 21) he will take over and Chandler will move to a bench role.

We've lacked a team leader for a while now, so this helps. I'd say both signings weren't bad looking at some of the other ludicrous contracts given out this summer.