• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Winners & Losers of Free Agency

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a double-double machine and plays solid defense. Not ecstatic about him, but it's not like he's a scrub. Better than Hibbert and has been for a while, btw.

What I'm happy about is re-signing Brandon Knight. Having him and Bledsoe locked up long term is good whether we keep them or not. It's all about stacking your assets in the NBA.

Let me see if I have this straight. Your team traded away some good young guys with who each had a promising future for a 32 year old Chandler that averages 10 ppg and 11 rebounds per game to be a solid double double machine that plays solid defense?

Can I have have some of that stuff you're smoking?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, when the fuck did I say we were "winners" in this thread? Putting words in people's mouths is what Lakers fans love to do so I'm not surprised but damn.

You failed to put the suns in the "losers" column.

Put it any way you like but the suns traded decent players to clear cap space before they signed someone. That smells of failure.

And then you claim the Lakers are losers :rolleyes:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Brandon Knight for 5 years and 70 mil is a good value considering the salary cap rise and his age/potential. I mean Reggie Jackson got 5 years 80 mil for christ's sake!

Tyson Chandler gives us a much needed veteran presence in the locker room and allows us to have a legit 7 footer on the floor at all times with him and Alex Len. He'll probably start the first two years then once Len emerges (still only 21) he will take over and Chandler will move to a bench role.

We've lacked a team leader for a while now, so this helps. I'd say both signings weren't bad looking at some of the other ludicrous contracts given out this summer.
Chandler is 32 going on 40. He's an old 32 since he came to the league out of HS.

Hibbert is just 28 and is in the last year of his contract. If he can't learn from Kareem And embrace the change of scenery he's gone. We needed somebody to play center and we gave up squat to get him. Low risk move.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers rebounded nicely imo. And several teams have interest in Lin.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lou Williams was a sweet pickup. Didn't like it initially but we'll be going with a 3 guard lineup & need lots of guards. 7 million a season was a bargain.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phoenix traded Marcus Morris & kept Tucker instead? Wow.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit got a good player, giving Johnson time to develop.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knicks have to be on that list of losers, at the top.

It's not even close. They had the worst offseason.

Not only did they predictably strike out on the major FA's....but then Phil went out and still spent money on multi year deals.

Do the math (2016 money):
Carmelo = $24.5M
Derrick Williams = $5M
Affallo = $8M
Lopez = $14M
O'Quin = $4M
Porzingas = $4M

That is $60M in money locked into next year (probably more to be added in there as well with rookie deals and other players I might have missed). The cap is only going to $89M.

That means next offseason the Knicks will only have room for one max deal. That was a HUGE mistake. No one is going to look at that as a decent landing spot next offseason if it is only them going there. The knicks needed to keep enough space where they could go Miami Heat in FA and bring in two max players at one time. It is the only way they are going to appeal to an elite player. But Phil nickel and dimed himself on these contracts to the point where that isn't possible now.

The Laker's struck out but at least they kept their options open moving forward for an elite double max FA move next offseason so at least they get to swing for the fences again. That is what the Knicks had to do as well.

The knicks pretty much guaranteed themselves that they won't be truly competitive for at least two more seasons with the moves they made.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You failed to put the suns in the "losers" column.

Put it any way you like but the suns traded decent players to clear cap space before they signed someone. That smells of failure.

And then you claim the Lakers are losers :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that the Lakers got better and the Suns didn't. Granted that the Lakers only got slightly better, but it was still more than what the Suns did who by now should be flourishing with all of those first round draft picks they got. Tell me if I am wrong but the Warriors did much better with less first round picks

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winners....Players, agents adn the mighty dollar.

Losers.......Fans that love their home town team.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit got a good player, giving Johnson time to develop.

Things worked out for the Heat. A majority of us wanted Stanley Johnson, and for good reason. It's the summer league, but look at what that kid is doing. But things worked out as Winslow is just as good, if not better.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors and Cavs are on here for keeping their bands together.

Spurs got the biggest signing. LA probably isnt the best fit for the current team but he is a good enough talent that they'll build the team around the existing talent and be super scary. LA over Splitter is probably the biggest upgrade any playoff caliber team got.

I like what the Bucks, Pacers and Heat have been doing overall this offseason. The East should be more competitive next year.

I think everyone else not mentioned in the short term is a loser by default although teams like the Kings and Knicks are clear losers.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things worked out for the Heat. A majority of us wanted Stanley Johnson, and for good reason. It's the summer league, but look at what that kid is doing. But things worked out as Winslow is just as good, if not better.

Is Johnson struggling? I loved the Winslow pick when he slipped ton Miami.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won't know who the biggest winner is until LeBron signs :-)

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Johnson struggling? I loved the Winslow pick when he slipped ton Miami.

They've both played very well in their first couple games. I personally think Johnson will be the better player (and apparently so do the Pistons)... but most people had Winslow rated higher than him.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mavs have got to be considered winners. Got DJ and Matthews, probably getting Lin, lost Tyson and Monta and Aminu.

Might get JET back (meh), got jeremy Evans. Evans looks like a "big deal, who cares", but seems like every year Carlisle picks up someone trying to reclaim their career and is able to find a place for them in his system.

JJ Barrea
Aminu
Matrix
Vince Carter
Branden Wright

Yeah they had talent and some had seen success, but they weren't doing anything when Dallas picked em up and gave them one thing to do really well and they ended up doing it really well. Now our only concern is recovering from injuries. We have a micro-fracture and achilles to come back from, so could be a slow start to the year.