• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson going to the Broncos

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No drafting RW didn't turn the franchise around. Building a strong roster did that. What was ask of RW back then was very little and RW was a minor piece in the Seahawks run for the gold.

Russ was asked to do very little in his rookie year but by the 2nd half he was doing what he was asked pretty well. And he showed what he could do as a rookie against the Falcons in the 2nd half of that playoff game. Put the team on his back and got the team a lead only for our defense to let the Falcons march down the field in 30 seconds and score the game winning field goal.

The following year, Russ single handedly won us a couple of regular season games, with the Texans game standing out. And he made some incredibly clutch throw against the Niners that year.

Wilson's rookie year. 100 PR, 76 QBR, 26 TDs, 10 Ints, 3100 yards. The offense went from 23rd in the NFL in 2011 to 9th in 2012. By every metric, the offensive was dramatically better in 2012 than in 2011.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would we have won the SB with matt flynn? Probably not. Trent dilfer? Yes, absolutely

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ was asked to do very little in his rookie year but by the 2nd half he was doing what he was asked pretty well. And he showed what he could do as a rookie against the Falcons in the 2nd half of that playoff game. Put the team on his back and got the team a lead only for our defense to let the Falcons march down the field in 30 seconds and score the game winning field goal.

The following year, Russ single handedly won us a couple of regular season games, with the Texans game standing out. And he made some incredibly clutch throw against the Niners that year.

Wilson's rookie year. 100 PR, 76 QBR, 26 TDs, 10 Ints, 3100 yards. The offense went from 23rd in the NFL in 2011 to 9th in 2012. By every metric, the offensive was dramatically better in 2012 than in 2011.
Wilson wasn't some elite QB back then, he wasn't asked to be elite either. He was a good up coming QB, just one of many core pieces of the team.
Once he become the centerpiece of the team, with the contract to go with that, building a strong roster became extremely difficult. Seahawks tried to build around him and tried, and tried. It was time to try something different, get back to roster building, having draft capitol that matters, having cap space. making football fun again.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson wasn't some elite QB back then, he wasn't asked to be elite either. He was a good up coming QB, just one of many core pieces of the team.
Once he become the centerpiece of the team, with the contract to go with that, building a strong roster became extremely difficult. Seahawks tried to build around him and tried, and tried. It was time to try something different, get back to roster building, having draft capitol that matters, having cap space. making football fun again.

It's those last 4 words that I really have a problem with.

Roster building, draft capital and cap space DON'T make football fun. Winning football games makes football fun.

The Jaguars have draft capital and cap space and I doubt you will find many Jags fans that think it is fun to stink every year.

I get that for a lot of Hawks fans it IS fun to high a fairly high draft pick and some cap flexibility. Mainly because it's been 10 years since we had a high draft pick. And I really hope that the team hits on some of these picks.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Roster building, draft capital and cap space DON'T make football fun. Winning football games makes football fun.

The Jaguars have draft capital and cap space and I doubt you will find many Jags fans that think it is fun to stink every year.

I get that for a lot of Hawks fans it IS fun to high a fairly high draft pick and some cap flexibility. Mainly because it's been 10 years since we had a high draft pick. And I really hope that the team hits on some of these picks.

The team saw what you couldn't, that they were boxed in and were not getting over the hump under the status quo.

We now have the chance to build a team that can get over the hump.

Btw jacksonville is one of the worst ran orgs, their owner is a joke.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes the roster building has to be done properly otherwise it's a exercise in futility, but when it's done right it's a great ride.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dilfer has a superbowl ring and he won it on a team led by defense and a rushing attack.

Points allowed by the Ravens last 12 games of that season

9, 7, 23, 0,7, 3,7 20, 3, 10, 3,7

In their final 12 games, they allowed more than 10 points twice.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team saw what you couldn't, that they were boxed in and were not getting over the hump under the status quo.

We now have the chance to build a team that can get over the hump.

Btw jacksonville is one of the worst ran orgs, their owner is a joke.

Why do you always have to be a dick? I fully understand the limitations of having a top tier QB getting paid top tier money. That you think that trading Wilson speaks to YOUR myopia.

The Seahawks were "boxed" in because they have drafted poorly. And they chose to make big trades for players that didn't pan out. In particular they haven't drafted a difference maker on either line since they drafted Russell Okung and Frank Clark respectively.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks were "boxed" in because they have drafted poorly. And they chose to make big trades for players that didn't pan out. In particular they haven't drafted a difference maker on either line since they drafted Russell Okung and Frank Clark respectively.
They drafted poorly in part because they were drafting late in every round. This hurt particularly in finding OL and pass rushers in the draft because so many teams need those positions and as a result so many get drafted ahead of when the Seahawk turn finally arrived to pick. Which was frustrating for the team and prompted them to make trades that didn't work out. We are seeing how the Rams are set to go 7 years without a first round pick. It sucks to be sucking hind titty in the draft. Packers haven't had much better luck in surrounding Rodgers either. Having a expensive top QB is a catch 22, can't win without them ( but you can, it's just hard) can't win with them and by win I'm talking Super Bowl.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They drafted poorly in part because they were drafting late in every round. This hurt particularly in finding OL and pass rushers in the draft because so many teams need those positions and as a result so many get drafted ahead of when the Seahawk turn finally arrived to pick. Which was frustrating for the team and prompted them to make trades that didn't work out. We are seeing how the Rams are set to go 7 years without a first round pick. It sucks to be sucking hind titty in the draft. Packers haven't had much better luck in surrounding Rodgers either. Having a expensive top QB is a catch 22, can't win without them ( but you can, it's just hard) can't win with them and by win I'm talking Super Bowl.

And yet some teams manage to find talent. TJ Watt was drafted at No. 30. Stephen Tuit was drafted in the 2nd round. Za'Darius Smith was drafted in the 4th round.

To be clear, I'm not trying to slam the Seahawks draft success. The draft is a crap shoot. But I reject the notion that you need to draft early or you need a ton of cap space to be successful. Lots of teams have high draft picks every year and lots of cap space and they consistently fail. Lots of teams are always cash strapped and drafting late and they are always good.

Maybe moving on from Russ needed to happen. But the notion that the team is better off because they have more draft picks but have Drew Lock under center is just preposterous.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet some teams manage to find talent. TJ Watt was drafted at No. 30. Stephen Tuit was drafted in the 2nd round. Za'Darius Smith was drafted in the 4th round.

To be clear, I'm not trying to slam the Seahawks draft success. The draft is a crap shoot. But I reject the notion that you need to draft early or you need a ton of cap space to be successful. Lots of teams have high draft picks every year and lots of cap space and they consistently fail. Lots of teams are always cash strapped and drafting late and they are always good.

Maybe moving on from Russ needed to happen. But the notion that the team is better off because they have more draft picks but have Drew Lock under center is just preposterous.
Looks I understand that the draft is a crap shoot and drafting early doesn't guarantee any thing. But common sense and simple math tells you that drafting early gives you a better shot of success in the draft. Common sense tells you more cap space allows you to address holes in the roster better then having little.
Lock isn't the long term answer, not sure if he's even the short term fill in, but I firmly believe the Seahawks can find a QB that can get the job done and find him in relatively short amount of time. The time had arrived for RW to be moved. It was the right thing to happen for all parties, the Seahawks, for RW, and for fans of both teams. Embrace it and you'll be happier.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks I understand that the draft is a crap shoot and drafting early doesn't guarantee any thing. But common sense and simple math tells you that drafting early gives you a better shot of success in the draft. Common sense tells you more cap space allows you to address holes in the roster better then having little.
Lock isn't the long term answer, not sure if he's even the short term fill in, but I firmly believe the Seahawks can find a QB that can get the job done and find him in relatively short amount of time. The time had arrived for RW to be moved. It was the right thing to happen for all parties, the Seahawks, for RW, and for fans of both teams. Embrace it and you'll be happier.

Well that is certainly the company line. We'll find out if it was the right move this time next year.

I think you have to at least consider the possibility that the Seahawks would have been better off keeping Russ and letting PC go.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that is certainly the company line. We'll find out if it was the right move this time next year.

I think you have to at least consider the possibility that the Seahawks would have been better off keeping Russ and letting PC go.
Letting PC go and keeping RW doesn't fix the issue with the roster. You have a team with a sub par roster no valuable draft capitol, not enough cap space and a QB who's window of achieving was closing rapidly. That wasn't the path to take.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letting PC go and keeping RW doesn't fix the issue with the roster. You have a team with a sub par roster no valuable draft capitol, not enough cap space and a QB who's window of achieving was closing rapidly. That wasn't the path to take.

So you don't even think it is possible that keeping Russ and getting rid of PC/JS was the right move? Because PC/JS have proven they have a key eye for talent in the last 8 years?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you don't even think it is possible that keeping Russ and getting rid of PC/JS was the right move? Because PC/JS have proven they have a key eye for talent in the last 8 years?
Wasn't the right move for the reasons I gave you.
Sub par roster
No valuable draft capitol
Not enough cap space
Windows closing for RW

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't the right move for the reasons I gave you.
Sub par roster
No valuable draft capitol
Not enough cap space
Windows closing for RW

So it was better to keep the 71 year old head coach. OK.

I think you have wildly optimistic opinions of the state of this club right now. We have a head coach and GM saying that they want to build a team on ball control and elite defense while ignoring that, not only do they not have an elite defense, they don't even have an average one.

So Russ was the problem with the team and now we get to look forward to seeing the team draft 4 Hall of Famers in 2 drafts and return to what we did in 2012-2014. All of our problems have been washed away.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it was better to keep the 71 year old head coach. OK.

I think you have wildly optimistic opinions of the state of this club right now. We have a head coach and GM saying that they want to build a team on ball control and elite defense while ignoring that, not only do they not have an elite defense, they don't even have an average one.

So Russ was the problem with the team and now we get to look forward to seeing the team draft 4 Hall of Famers in 2 drafts and return to what we did in 2012-2014. All of our problems have been washed away.
Your so bitter it painfully for me to see. The Seahawks just weren't good enough with the roster they had and didn't have the means to improve it and RW needed a strong roster now, not a few years from now. So trading him to the Broncos who have a better roster right now was good for him and his career. It's also provides Seattle with the means to restock and regroup. No guarantees for the Broncos, no guarantees for RW, no guarantees for Seattle, but this seems like the best path for all involved.

Reactions: MrS

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt say wilson was THE problem, but it was a meshing of issues that we couldn't resolve without freeing us of his contract and getting capital to build on.