• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson going to the Broncos

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Points allowed by the Ravens last 12 games of that season

9, 7, 23, 0,7, 3,7 20, 3, 10, 3,7

In their final 12 games, they allowed more than 10 points twice.

So the team could not have won that SB without wilson?

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would we have won the SB with matt flynn? Probably not. Trent dilfer? Yes, absolutely
Ummmmm..........Trent Dilfer??? Lmao!
are you drunk season 7 GIF

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your so bitter it painfully for me to see. The Seahawks just weren't good enough with the roster they had and didn't have the means to improve it and RW needed a strong roster now, not a few years from now. So trading him to the Broncos who have a better roster right now was good for him and his career. It's also provides Seattle with the means to restock and regroup. No guarantees for the Broncos, no guarantees for RW, no guarantees for Seattle, but this seems like the best path for all involved.

I say that I could be wrong and moving on from Russ was the right move. I then ask you if it was POSSIBLE that keeping Russ and moving on from PC/JS was the right move and you say no.

The team was 12-4 2 years ago. Russ gets hurt and they wind up 7-10 and now they have no talent.

I don't believe that the Broncos have a noticeably better roster than the Hawks. In fact I think it is pretty similar.

I'm not bitter in the least. I'm fine with others being optimistic. And I really hope I'm wrong. But I've been souring on PC basically since the Cowboys playoff game. IMO, he's never been a great gameplan coach. He is a great motivator and he had a great deal of insight into the college players early in his time in Seattle.

But his flaws as an Xs and Os guy are glaring at this point. He has a square peg and he will try to jam it into whatever hole is in front of him. He is incapable of adjusting based on the talent on the team.

But. like I said, I could be wrong and they have a brilliant plan. I head the same thing 2 years ago when I was telling everyone that our DL was terrible and I was told that they will figure something out. 2 years later and it has gone from terrible to mediocre.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the team could not have won that SB without wilson?

Of course they could have. But the notion that Trent Dilfer could have done it because it was able to ride arguably the greatest defense in history to a SB championship is deeply flawed reasoning.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they could have. But the notion that Trent Dilfer could have done it because it was able to ride arguably the greatest defense in history to a SB championship is deeply flawed reasoning.

Wilson didnt ride arguably one of the greatest defenses?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we've now got to the Russell Wilson = Trent Dilfer stage of rationalizations. Truly bizarre.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for all of you... Will you be rooting for RW to flourish or will you be rooting for him to fail? Not a trick question here...
I'll be rooting for him big time. Aside from how fun I think he is to watch, I want the group of Hawks fans that have come to take him for granted these past few years to have it sting a little when Russ is crushing it in Denver and we are dicking around here with whoever is under center. I also want Jodi Allen to realize she picked the wrong horse.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be rooting for him big time. Aside from how fun I think he is to watch, I want the group of Hawks fans that have come to take him for granted these past few years to have it sting a little when Russ is crushing it in Denver and we are dicking around here with whoever is under center. I also want Jodi Allen to realize she picked the wrong horse.

I primarily want to be wrong in where I think the team.

I really want to believe that the team will succeed moving forward.

But I'm certainly not going to hold it against Russ that he got pushed out. And I hope that Jodi Allen didn't keep JS/PC purely for financial reasons or that she will stick with them for those same reasons.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt say wilson was THE problem, but it was a meshing of issues that we couldn't resolve without freeing us of his contract and getting capital to build on.
With RW's contract plus seemingly annual lack of early picks, it was definitely challenging to accumulate talent and keep up with other contenders. But we missed on quite a few picks that we did have, made some trades that were iffy at best, and now the people who are responsible for that are the ones we have retained while sending off the guy who covered up those problems better than any other single player on the team the last 5 years. Sure, we have some draft capital now, but the guys who are in charge of doing something with it are the same ones who got us in this position!

I think we would be better off as a team right now had we moved on from PC/JS after the 2020 season when we lost at home to the Rams and broken finger Goff in the playoffs. We would still have RW (presumably) and going into offseason #2 of the new regime. Rebuilding with the 71 year old head coach who's orchestrated the steady deterioration of this rosters seems asinine.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to say something I have hinted at a few times in the past two years about Wilson.

If he doesn't get off that stupid 8 meal a day and nearly 5000 calorie "diet" he is going to eat himself out of a job. That boy be THICK in the middle and has been getting bigger every year. I say he is easily 225+ pounds. On Saturdays he eats enough food for a small family ...wtf man that's not healthy, I don't care how hard you work out! Bigger and slower, if he trims down I am 100% sure he gets his quickness back.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With RW's contract plus seemingly annual lack of early picks, it was definitely challenging to accumulate talent and keep up with other contenders. But we missed on quite a few picks that we did have, made some trades that were iffy at best, and now the people who are responsible for that are the ones we have retained while sending off the guy who covered up those problems better than any other single player on the team the last 5 years. Sure, we have some draft capital now, but the guys who are in charge of doing something with it are the same ones who got us in this position!

I think we would be better off as a team right now had we moved on from PC/JS after the 2020 season when we lost at home to the Rams and broken finger Goff in the playoffs. We would still have RW (presumably) and going into offseason #2 of the new regime. Rebuilding with the 71 year old head coach who's orchestrated the steady deterioration of this rosters seems asinine.
I agree with a lot of this and I have been more critical of the personnel choices than anyone here. I dont really trust them with the picks we have but I am holding out hope they wise up and do the smart thing and not the cute thing.

however, I just dont think keeping wilson on his huge salary would have been a wise choice either. we will see how he does in denver, but I dont believe he is the same player that he used to be. he isnt worth 40m now and definitely not worth 50m in the future.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be pretty happy with Hurts or Minshew at this point provided we don't give up a ton for either. A couple of day 3 picks would be fine.

I think it is interesting that Watson said not to Seattle, if true.

We can't possibly draft another safety. We have a ton already.

If they reach for Willis at 9 then we'll know that they had no real plan.
The main reason I mentioned Hurts is because if the Seahawks are seriously considering Malik Willis, they can get that in Hurts for a second rounder at worst.

If it's true Watson said no to the Seahawks, it doesn't surprise me. I didn't see anything concrete that the Seahawks were even interested, but given the way that things played out with Russ, I can't imagine that Watson would think that his talent would be fully utilized in Seattle. He would also be going to a Seattle team that as of right now doesn't have a right or left tackle.

That's fair regarding drafting another safety. I just think that Kyle Hamilton is a generational talent and given the shift in scheme that the Seahawks plan to make, I can't imagine relying on Jamal Adams playing successfully in a two deep scheme that takes him out of the box. Also, I believe there is a serious possibility the Seahawks move on from Adams after 2022. If they cut him after the season they'd take on some serious dead money, but that would save them $11m in cap space in 2023, $16.5m in 2024 and $17.5m in 2025.

Completely agree when it comes to taking Willis at 9. In most drafts, he's a second or third round developmental QB at best. If we do end up selecting him in the first round, I really hope I'm wrong on my evaluation of him.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
however, I just dont think keeping wilson on his huge salary would have been a wise choice either. we will see how he does in denver, but I dont believe he is the same player that he used to be. he isnt worth 40m now and definitely not worth 50m in the future.
But in the entire history of the NFL, this is the only time a team has decided not to keep the HOF level QB in the prime of his career and instead trade him away. The teams have ALWAYS decided to pay the elite QB. There must be some reason for that. Maybe we are just setting a new trend. I really doubt it, but I guess we will see.

As far as the "is he worth it?" stuff goes...well, he's certainly worth it for the Broncos now, as they are only getting hit $24M against the cap in '22 (10.9% of their cap) and then $27M (12% as it stands) in '23. Russ was 17.5% of our cap in '21. The cap % to me is always the more important number vs the dollar amount. If Denver has to give him $50M/yr extension a year from now, I'm sure they do it unless he suffers some massive injury. By the time that contract really costs $50M in cap space, that's probably still going to be in the ~18% range area that the top guys are getting right now. According to overthecap, Ryan Tannehill has the biggest '22 cap hit at the QB position: $38.6M (18.3%).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in the entire history of the NFL, this is the only time a team has decided not to keep the HOF level QB in the prime of his career and instead trade him away. The teams have ALWAYS decided to pay the elite QB. There must be some reason for that. Maybe we are just setting a new trend. I really doubt it, but I guess we will see.

As far as the "is he worth it?" stuff goes...well, he's certainly worth it for the Broncos now, as they are only getting hit $24M against the cap in '22 (10.9% of their cap) and then $27M (12% as it stands) in '23. Russ was 17.5% of our cap in '21. The cap % to me is always the more important number vs the dollar amount. If Denver has to give him $50M/yr extension a year from now, I'm sure they do it unless he suffers some massive injury. By the time that contract really costs $50M in cap space, that's probably still going to be in the ~18% range area that the top guys are getting right now. According to overthecap, Ryan Tannehill has the biggest '22 cap hit at the QB position: $38.6M (18.3%).

But now we won't have to worry about spending money on a big time QB next year! We'll have soo much cap space! It's going to be great next offseason. Or maybe 2024 Or 2025. Maybe 2026.

Reactions: JMR

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think he is in his prime, he peaked early.

The cap would have to be about 275m that would be a 36% increase. Since 2018 the cap only increased about 18%. If he signs a $50m plus contract next year, it might take 3 years to hit $50m cap hit. Will the cap go up that much in less than 5 years? Maybe but I doubt it.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think he is in his prime, he peaked early.

I don't think you can make a numbers-based, objective argument to support that. He's posted passer ratings above his career avg in each of the last 4 seasons. Even with the injury on his throwing hand, playing 2 games where he was clearly not 100%, he had great overall efficiency numbers in '21. He may be at a plateau in his career, but that doesn't mean he isn't in his prime.