• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will the Seahawks be able to retain the players needed for a long run

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen a lot of talk lately about how the Hawks may not be able to sustain such a high level of competition due to upcoming salaries. Obviously, not everyone will receive big contracts and stay. But I dont see the wheels coming off either. Tate has already said that he would rather take less and be part of whats going on here than take significantly more to play for a shitty team.

There are a few things working in Seattle's favor:

We dont have a state income tax.

And this is the big one, these guys love playing for Carroll. He runs a fairly loose ship, and these guys have a blast. How much is that worth?

Some of the best facilities in the league. Bennett called the VMAC the "Google of football" and went on about how much the great resources help them become better players.

Job security. Now if a player takes a step back, regardless of the team he's on, whether it be Seattle or anywhere else he has a chance of losing his job. But when a player goes to a new team and their coach is fired a year later, their new coach may not like the fit of à particular player in his visión for the team. If they have a role here, as long as they are healthy and playing great ball, Pete will stand by them. There are unkown risks coming from a team that may not have the same commitment to a player that Carroll may show.

Championship opportunities and the exposure that comes with that. Team contracts are not the only way to make $. Wilson, Sherman, Thomas, these guys obviously want to make a lot of money, but they also want to be considered some of the best players to ever play. Its genuine ambition, and they are too smart to not understand that in order to maintain that opportunity, they have to keep the band together.

Paul Allen and John Schneider. Having an owner with deep pockets thats willing to spend can really help with salary cap limitations by giving contracts with big prorated bonuses rather than escalating long term contracts.

I'm not delusional enough to believe that they wont lose anyone. But if they want to keep a player and he wants to stay here, theyre going to get it done.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the other thing being overlooked by the media and others is the team continually drafting well. To me it's not that big a deal if someone leaves on D because 'I believe they will find another gem. It's just happened to often to believe otherwise.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the other thing being overlooked by the media and others is the team continually drafting well. To me it's not that big a deal if someone leaves on D because 'I believe they will find another gem. It's just happened to often to believe otherwise.

Great point. The players on the team currently are not all just great players, they were well scouted and put in great positions to succeed by coaches playing to their strengths. The SB MVP was a backup/7th round LB, and thats not a fluke, they know to get the most out of everyone 1-53.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to keep drafting well. And if Maxwell stepping in and playing better then BB, and Malcom coming in for KJ and playing lights out is any clue they will.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to keep drafting well. And if Maxwell stepping in and playing better then BB, and Malcom coming in for KJ and playing lights out is any clue they will.

Like I said I believe they can draft D players better than anyone but dose anyone else have fear about drafting offense players. So far they have been bringing O players from free agency, Rice, Percy, Zach and lynch by trade.

While they missed on Harper (Wr), and the offensive line with early picks.

And we haven't seen enough of
Turbin or Michael to say one way or another. (I believe Turbin would be an average back, he has the speed but unlike lynch can't break though tackles like lynch but than who can.)

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will have to lose some players this year. There is no way they can pay those who they want to lock up now and give enough to all those FA's to keep everyone. The question is who do they let go and how do they replace their productivity.

We play in the toughest division in football at this time. Even keeping everyone doesn't mean they win the division again next year. Not with SF and Arizona so close behind them. Either of them could have a good off season and put a run together as well.

Last year the Seahawks had a perfect off season in terms of the spots they filled, even if Percy wasn't all we had hoped over the regular season. Can they do the same this year when they are going to be restructuring contracts and paying a couple of guys some crazy money?

The good news is it wouldn't be hard to get experienced veterans from other teams to want to come here in FA for even less than they could get elsewhere because we are the hot team right now. That and maybe getting a couple of guys to take a bit of a home discount to stay might give them the ability to pull it off.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be a combination of things that helps keep this team as intact as possible. As mentioned, Tate has already said he's willing to take less to stay and that'll be the biggest key to maintaining the core of the team over the next couple of years. If our core players follow suit and take less to stay, that gives Schneider some flexibility with the rest of roster. Obviously the guys are still going to get paid way more than they're making now, but even a few million here and there will help the Seahawks maintain a quality roster around those guys. Another thing that'll help is drafting well, which Schneider and Carroll have been very good at since they got here. Hopefully some of the savings they get from retaining guys like Tate at a cheaper rate will allow Schneider to pull off more moves like the Bennett and Avril signings (veterans with something to prove who are willing to come in for a lot less than they wanted just to have an opportunity to win a ring and be showcased to potential future suitors).

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But there in lies the rub. Bennett is now going to want a payday and will we, can we give it to him with all of the others we need to lock up? Tate says he will take a bit of home town discount, but said he doesn't want to be disrespected either. Where does discount end and insult begin? Those are never easy answers in these things.

I'm sure we will lose someone we liked.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this offseason there will be some movement, but next offseason will be the real answer as far as how PC/JS philosophy is going to work. If I were to guess, I would think this team will become much more like a college roster, in that there will be alot of movement and new players coming in every year, especially on defense. I thnk some key guys will be kept long term, but if someone doesn't show something real special and unique, they will be gone. There are always more young, fast guys to draft who can learn the system quickly and jump right in.

I am just real curious who PC really wants to keep and who he lets go. What if they find some gem QB late in the draft and he out-does Russell in everything? What does PC do? Stick to the mantra that money doesn't matter and performance in practice and games gets you a shot? Or does he keep the guy who got him there? Right now, I would say there are only 7-10 safe players on the roster. RW, Lynch, Sherman, Kam, Earl, Mebane, Okung, maybe Unger, Bennett if they can re-sign him, and maybe Wags.

There are probably 5 or 6 others that would be tough to outperform, so in a sense they are safe as well, but you never know how these young guys develop sometimes.

This offseason and coming season will basically be an extended tryout for keeping your spot come next year.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this offseason there will be some movement, but next offseason will be the real answer as far as how PC/JS philosophy is going to work. If I were to guess, I would think this team will become much more like a college roster, in that there will be alot of movement and new players coming in every year, especially on defense. I thnk some key guys will be kept long term, but if someone doesn't show something real special and unique, they will be gone. There are always more young, fast guys to draft who can learn the system quickly and jump right in.

I am just real curious who PC really wants to keep and who he lets go. What if they find some gem QB late in the draft and he out-does Russell in everything? What does PC do? Stick to the mantra that money doesn't matter and performance in practice and games gets you a shot? Or does he keep the guy who got him there? Right now, I would say there are only 7-10 safe players on the roster. RW, Lynch, Sherman, Kam, Earl, Mebane, Okung, maybe Unger, Bennett if they can re-sign him, and maybe Wags.

There are probably 5 or 6 others that would be tough to outperform, so in a sense they are safe as well, but you never know how these young guys develop sometimes.

This offseason and coming season will basically be an extended tryout for keeping your spot come next year.

I've thought of that before. I think the guy would play. I just dont think there's many guys in the world that can takeover the team and outwork and outsmart Wilson during a training camp at this point . But I would like to see someone that could give him a run for his money, that would be an awesome QB.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a great article regarding cap issues and building a long lasting, always competitive team.

Seattle Seahawks have savvy to sustain in NFL's salary-cap era - NFL.com

"Clearly, like Seahawks owner Paul Allen, Carroll and Schneider are thinking bigger. And in two decades of covering the NFL in the salary-cap era, I've discovered that organizational will and intelligent player-acquisition decisions go a lot further toward sustaining success than contract-related concerns do toward sabotaging it.

In other words, to paraphrase the most accomplished coach and team builder of this era, Bill Belichick: Cap concerns are for losers.

Show me a franchise whose leaders perpetually whine about cap concerns, and I'll show you a franchise that is pretty far from elite. Such a state of affairs usually means that the owner isn't as financially committed to the cause as some of his/her gung-ho peers (such as Allen, who speaks sparingly but carries a big overhead), or that the GM and coach are making excuses for the team's subpar performance -- or both."

I disagree in a sense with that part due to Schneider signing very quietly an extension last year and Carroll will most likely sign one as well,granted the Hawk regime use's a play compete and high turnover in training camp while looking at players,matter of fact highest in the NFL,but i just see them developing a system and we are seeing it form now so the next two years will show very well what it is and what it will look like imo.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which part do you disagree with? I think he is saying Allen/Carroll/Schneider are the right type of people to get the job done without complaining about the cap, like the Raiders.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which part do you disagree with? I think he is saying Allen/Carroll/Schneider are the right type of people to get the job done without complaining about the cap, like the Raiders.

I disagree that they think the cap does not matter,that is the NE gig and trading down etc where as we like the mid round stuff and i doubt we will ever trade down,now will we move some cap space forward,YES i have no doubt and it will hurt but it means keeping the current crew there.

The Raiders were in a very messed up situation because of ton's of dead money.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that they think the cap does not matter,that is the NE gig and trading down etc where as we like the mid round stuff and i doubt we will ever trade down,now will we move some cap space forward,YES i have no doubt and it will hurt but it means keeping the current crew there.

The Raiders were in a very messed up situation because of ton's of dead money.

Obviously the cap matters, but I think the point is, good front offices find ways to still field a great team, a la Belichick. He is the only example of a dynasty under the cap and realignment. Look at the crazy deals Belichick did. SB MVP for 1st round draft pick. Brilliant, except it was to the Seahawks. Picking up loose ends here and there like Moss. Going with two formidable TEs and a scrawny, but speedy slot reciever. Last off season was a prime example for us. We got Bennett and Avril at a lower cost on short term deals. The Hawks have this kind of front office now, and I think they can stay very competitive and won't have the issues of other clubs.

I was just thinking about RW. The highest paid player on most NFL teams is the QB, yet this front office de-emphasizes the position. His stats won't line up with Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees. He will still get paid, but not at that level. Also, look at the character of the guy they chose. Team first, competitive, and wants to win and be talked about 100 years from now. I guarantee that guy structures his contract in a way so as the team can be as competitive as possible.

When RW showed flashes of greatness in his first preseason games, I felt then and there that he was our Tom Brady and we could be the next NE Patriots. I know everyone is saying you can't talk about dynasty when you are in the middle of it, but that is a mindset for coaches and players. As a fan, I think this group has a chance to be a dynasty. And as many have stated, that is really hard to pull off in this era of the cap and free agency.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously the cap matters, but I think the point is, good front offices find ways to still field a great team, a la Belichick. He is the only example of a dynasty under the cap and realignment. Look at the crazy deals Belichick did. SB MVP for 1st round draft pick. Brilliant, except it was to the Seahawks. Picking up loose ends here and there like Moss. Going with two formidable TEs and a scrawny, but speedy slot reciever. Last off season was a prime example for us. We got Bennett and Avril at a lower cost on short term deals. The Hawks have this kind of front office now, and I think they can stay very competitive and won't have the issues of other clubs.

I was just thinking about RW. The highest paid player on most NFL teams is the QB, yet this front office de-emphasizes the position. His stats won't line up with Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees. He will still get paid, but not at that level. Also, look at the character of the guy they chose. Team first, competitive, and wants to win and be talked about 100 years from now. I guarantee that guy structures his contract in a way so as the team can be as competitive as possible.

When RW showed flashes of greatness in his first preseason games, I felt then and there that he was our Tom Brady and we could be the next NE Patriots. I know everyone is saying you can't talk about dynasty when you are in the middle of it, but that is a mindset for coaches and players. As a fan, I think this group has a chance to be a dynasty. And as many have stated, that is really hard to pull off in this era of the cap and free agency.

Meh, forget that. Nothing wrong with enjoying it while it's happening. You dont need hindsight to understand what's happening in front of you now.

Carroll and Wilson dont shy away from dynasty talk. They never have. I remember an interview during Carroll's second year and he was giving his normal "we practice like champions and eventually we'll play like champions" speech, and he said that they truly want to be the best team of all time. Fans should share those expectations.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree entirely and i know this is a reach but the day's of 20 mil QB's is coming to a close,owners etc are taking note what SanFran and Seattle did,the QB only takes you so far,that is unless they change the rules again.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, forget that. Nothing wrong with enjoying it while it's happening. You dont need hindsight to understand what's happening in front of you now.

Carroll and Wilson dont shy away from dynasty talk. They never have. I remember an interview during Carroll's second year and he was giving his normal "we practice like champions and eventually we'll play like champions" speech, and he said that they truly want to be the best team of all time. Fans should share those expectations.

'Why not us?" is very real.