• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the ACC and Big XII champion must be undefeated.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, they reflect what has been speculated to this point, not "what we know." Oh - and they reflect what will sell magazines and sports package subscriptions.

So what's your point. Do you know something everyone else doesn't?

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You brought up that all the tough games are on the road. I gave you a reason why. And guess what happens next year? Oregon goes to East Lansing, LSU plays Wisconsin in Lambeau in 2016. Penn State played UCF at home last year. Minnesota gets TCU at home next year. Purdue gets Va Tech at home next year. NW gets Stanford at home next year. That's what home and homes are. Obviously it doesn't benefit the B1G this year but it did last year and will next year.

I didn't say "all" the tough games. I said the two games that were mentioned that supposedly meant everything to the Big 10's season as brought up by someone else.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And FWIW, I didn't originally bring up the MSU/Oregon game, somebody else did. I said it would be a blow to the B1G's conference perception if they get blown out. Then you said something about the tough games being on the road, which is why I stated the home games the B1G has next year and played last year.

Dude. I was not talking about last year or next year. I was talking about two specific games that someone else brought up and suggested were make or break games for the Big ten for THIS YEAR!

You are just getting further and further from my original point.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude. I was not talking about last year or next year. I was talking about two specific games that someone else brought up and suggested were make or break games for the Big ten for THIS YEAR!

You are just getting further and further from my original point.

I understand your point. I know that the two toughest games for the B1G are @ Oregon and a neutral in Texas. That won't make or break the conference, but if the B1G wins those games and performs shitty in the rest of the toss up games, the perception will definitely change IMO.

And I clearly said it doesn't benefit the B1G THIS YEAR, but it's cyclical. It's not like these two games are one and done.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your point. I know that the two toughest games for the B1G are @ Oregon and a neutral in Texas. That won't make or break the conference, but if the B1G wins those games and performs shitty in the rest of the toss up games, the perception will definitely change IMO.

And I clearly said it doesn't benefit the B1G THIS YEAR, but it's cyclical. It's not like these two games are one and done.

and I understood your point but like I said, it just had nothing to do with mine.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking about Last year. I'm talking about this year.

There are only 3 teams ranked in the ACC. Clemson who lost their best QB - WR duo of all time is the second best team according to the rankings at 16 and then you have North Carolina who has never done anything EVER!

Meanwhile you have 4 teams ranked in the Big 10 and even with Ohio State replacing players you still have a team that has had multiple top 5 recruiting classes over the last several years being coached by what many consider one of the best coaches in the game.

So you're discrediting on the field results and saying 3 teams in PRESEASON RANKING < 4 teams. And so is better the conference?

Okay, guy.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're discrediting on the field results and saying 3 teams in PRESEASON RANKING < 4 teams. And so is better the conference?

Okay, guy.

Do you realize the year hasn't started yet? There aren't any field results for this year.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like VT has their hopes up.

What poster brought up VT specifically?

But if as an OSU fan, you would like to overlook an unproven QB with a new O-line playing their 2nd game against a historically great defensive line and one of, if not the best defensive backfield in the country, be my guest.

Last edited by a moderator:

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you realize the year hasn't started yet? There aren't any field results for this year.

I do. But saying B1G > ACC because one has 4 teams ranked in PRESEASON rankings and the other has 3 is a reason we should all buy into some conference hype mumbojumbo is about as absurd as it gets

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's your point. Do you know something everyone else doesn't?
I know many things other people do not. Unfortunately, very few of them have any bearing on college football. but that is my point - the people who vote in the polls don't have any data either. They don't know who will fall out of the polls or who will ascend into them. And it is my sincere belief pre-seeding the teams with a pre-season poll is damaging to the game. Like I said, I prefer the DIII approach of not releasing rankings until mid-season.

But that won't sell newspapers or start arguments on bulletin boards.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. But saying B1G > ACC because one has 4 teams ranked in PRESEASON rankings and the other has 3 is a reason we should all buy into some conference hype mumbojumbo is about as absurd as it gets

so what do you know that everyone else doesn't at this point?

2nd time I 've asked this BTW.

You were the one that suggested the ACC was better than the B1G. Those that get paid to follow the sport don't agree. So fill us in.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and let me just point out that I am not saying by the end of the year things couldn't reflect differently.

They very well could change. But I am going by what everyone knows at this point.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say "all" the tough games. I said the two games that were mentioned that supposedly meant everything to the Big 10's season as brought up by someone else.
-
As I mentioned the 2 early Big 12 games, these games are huge for perception. They really shouldnt be, but they are. They are nationally televised and might be one of the few times some viewers see the Big 10. If both are blow outs, the perception will be the Big 10 is horrible this year. Same goes for OKSTate/FSU and KSU/Auburn, if both are blow outs than people will say the Big 12 is terrible.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MSU/Oregon game is the marquee non conference match up of the season. If a team gets blown out, it's going to seriously damage the perception of the conference. Especially the B1G, because right now it's arguably the worst Power 5 conference. And the perception out there is that this is the 2nd or 1st team in the Pac 12 against definitely the class of the B1G now that Miller is out.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what do you know that everyone else doesn't at this point?

2nd time I 've asked this BTW.

What are you talking about? YOU are the one that is hell bent on saying the B1G is > ACC. It was questioned in this thread by other posters. I agreed that it should be questioned and gave you multiple reasons why it should be

If your only retort is that B1G has 4 preseason ranked teams and the ACC has 3, I will bid you good day :yo:

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were the one that suggested the ACC was better than the B1G. Those that get paid to follow the sport don't agree. So fill us in.

actually I didn't. It was brought up in post #6 by another poster

With braxton miller out, is the B1G any better than the ACC?

and I have no idea what 'those who get paid to follow the sport don't agree' means, considering there aren't any sort of conference rankings that have been published that I have seen. Even if they have, that's only preseason speculation. I am giving preseason speculation with a different view and I have told you why.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the Power 5 conferences, the ACC is currently the weakest. But the groupings are fairly tight.
By the Sagarin numbers of 2013, the "average" ACC team would have been about a 6 pt underdog vs the "average" team from the top conference, the SEC. So about a 6 point drop between the #1 and #5 conference.

In comparison, the drop off from the #5 ACC to the #6 AAC is about 8 points.

Every season everything can change. The major OOC matchups, particularly during rivalry week will always weed out the wheat from the chaff....