• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst coach firings in the last 15 years

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking Craig James

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 has the two worst firings the last 15 years. Maybe the worst in the entire history of bad firings.

Leach at Tech and Mark Mangino at Kansas.

I still think Texas running Mack Brown off was a mistake. Mack was perfect for the Horns fans and the UT super donors. All he needed to do was upgrade his coaching staff to turn things around after winning one NC and playing for another one. Instead, they canned the guy and have done nothing over the past 6 years. But now Pee Wee is going to lead them back to the Promised Land, right? :surprised:

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Texas running Mack Brown off was a mistake. Mack was perfect for the Horns fans and the UT super donors. All he needed to do was upgrade his coaching staff to turn things around after winning one NC and playing for another one. Instead, they canned the guy and have done nothing over the past 6 years. But now Pee Wee is going to lead them back to the Promised Land, right? :surprised:
Mack mailed it in.. he even admitted to in so many words. Best thing was him for leaving and being an analyst on ESPN.. he then realized his mistakes and lit another fire in his ass. Reason why he's at UNC right now.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but I also think some of that was Mack's downfall. That pristine image insisted on by those you describe bled into too many of their players fitting a country club mold that was "all hat, no cattle". They shunned some hard nosed kids that had a little shit in their blood in favor of those with the measurables but more of a choir boy and entitled mentality. All that is just my opinion.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but I also think some of that was Mack's downfall. That pristine image insisted on by those you describe bled into too many of their players fitting a country club mold that was "all hat, no cattle". They shunned some hard nosed kids that had a little shit in their blood in favor of those with the measurables but more of a choir boy and entitled mentality. All that is just my opinion.
wasn't the type of kids he recruited, he recruited kids who tapped out their sophomore year. even in today's world of recruitment heavy sites..how many elite 4/5 stars ranked in year 2 stick by their final rankings?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasn't the type of kids he recruited, he recruited kids who tapped out their sophomore year. even in today's world of recruitment heavy sites..how many elite 4/5 stars ranked in year 2 stick by their final rankings?

If the kids are consistently topping out that quickly it's on the coaching staff, Thiefery. A lot of those kids were recruits OU had wanted and lost them to Texas. That's why I say Mack should have kept recruiting after going through his coaching staff like shit through a goose. Texas has plenty of money to hire the best of anything they want. They just got complacent and didn't do it. Imagine Mack with a really good staff and you wouldn't have seen Oklahoma reeling off five conference championships in a row.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A&M firing R.C. Slocum was one of the worst of the last 20 years.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Buyer beware on some of our Texas recruits. Not a lot of development meat left on the bone with some of 'em.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not read, assuming the reason Pelini is #1 is cuz they waited too long to fire him.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not read, assuming the reason Pelini is #1 is cuz they waited too long to fire him.

Huskers fans sure hate Pelini. Of course it doesn't help he said the fanbase can fuck off, or whatever he said. Stupid Pelini. Can't say stuff like that and expect to keep his job. But if you look at his numbers there were good. Seven full season. 67-27 (.713) and 4-3 in bowl games. But his fate was sealed in Lincoln when someone taped him badmouthing people.

UGADawg1988

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Bower, Southern Miss coach from 1991-2007. When Bower was their coach, Southern Miss often went bowling, had winning records, and pulled off the occasional upset of some big name team. Since Bower getting canned they've gone down the toilet, and their name is no longer mentioned. When was the last time you've heard about Southern Miss?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA never should have fired Karl Dorrell, or Rick Neuheisel, or Jim Mora, or...

Wait, nvm, I guess it really hasn't mattered. lol

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huskers fans sure hate Pelini. Of course it doesn't help he said the fanbase can fuck off, or whatever he said. Stupid Pelini. Can't say stuff like that and expect to keep his job. But if you look at his numbers there were good. Seven full season. 67-27 (.713) and 4-3 in bowl games. But his fate was sealed in Lincoln when someone taped him badmouthing people.
They weren’t terrible, but certainly not what the Nebraska program/base expects. 9-10 win teams with no real spectacular finishes. Consistently good teams that were better than mediocre, but worse than great. And being a dickhead pain in the ass on top of it always made me wonder why the kept him around for so long.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They weren’t terrible, but certainly not what the Nebraska program/base expects. 9-10 win teams with no real spectacular finishes. Consistently good teams that were better than mediocre, but worse than great. And being a dickhead pain in the ass on top of it always made me wonder why the kept him around for so long.

And they went with Mike Riley.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland firing Friedgen was pretty dumb...didn't he win ACC coach of the year that year too?

GhostRiderRushville

Original Caravan Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,103,757.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You nailed it...I was all in on the Bo hire and the years that followed.......then after the media hate/fixation on his temper/and finally the “fuck Nebraska fans comment”.....I was done.