• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is Tom Cable still employed?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's entirely Cable's fault. It's the personnel he is working with.

We've got former two defensive tackles playing on our offensive line, that should tell you something.

As much credit as the front office deserves for building such a talented roster, they have really dropped the ball on the offensive line. From John Moffitt, to James Carpenter, to Justin Britt, the drafting has just been piss poor at offensive line.

Our unit is so bad I really think it seriously dampens our chances of another Superbowl run. I don't think I've ever seen a unit this bad.

Wilson was sacked 6 times against the Lions, and escaped another 6 according to PFF. Put any other QB back there and you're looking at the single season sack record in a game.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the thing with Seattle's O- line... VERY athletic physical group, but just not sound yet with there experience or technique .... But don't be surprised if this line get's good before the end of the year.... Sound crazy? Maybe not so much ... Every game gives good film study, every game they gain experience ... This group doesn't lack the size or strength or athleticism, they just lack experience and technique, and of course cohesiveness... Remember some of these guy's were defensive players, the learning curve is real ... But Pete has a vision, he's going with great athletes upfront and trying to coach them up ...

There have been plenty of raw offensive linemen who are either very physical or very athletic, and they're still mediocre players.

If anything, the Seahawks approach to drafting offensive linemen is the problem. They draft these big and or athletic guys, thinking they can teach them how to block, and it hasn't worked once.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get this but this is what Hawks have been saying since week 1... This unit has gotten worse imo... There is no doubt that they will improve but going from awful to not very good? Is that really the kind of improvement we're relying on? Hard to imagine this unit being average... They may get there at the end of the year but my question is, will it be too late?

So far no.... They've sucked, I think we can all agree... But this line doesn't lack great athletes, they just lack experience... let's allow them to keep fighting, by mid season we'll know more... It's only been 4 games

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been plenty of raw offensive linemen who are either very physical or very athletic, and they're still mediocre players.

If anything, the Seahawks approach to drafting offensive linemen is the problem. They draft these big and or athletic guys, thinking they can teach them how to block, and it hasn't worked once.

Right, but we've never kept the same unit for long either... way to many changes every year...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, but we've never kept the same unit for long either... way to many changes every year...

Maybe I'm underestimating the importance of keeping the same unit together for a while, but I just also think these guys have a limit on how much they can improve.

On the bright side, it's not like they can get any worse. It would be a huge victory if they even go from their current horrible state to even mediocre. The Seahawks can win with a mediocre line, but this is something else.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what? Who cares? He's getting targeted. They aren't ignoring him like you want people to believe, they just are feeding him the ball like he's a running back taking a hand off.

Russell Wilson was 8 for 11 for 141 yards and 1 TD in the first half. Who cares if Graham was targeted 0 times or targeted 11 times, the Seahawks passing game was doing all right. Why does it matter in the slightest whether the passes were thrown to Graham instead of Luke Willson.?

Just so you can see how the targets were distributed:

Tyler Lockett 3 (2 catches 35 yards)
Fred Jackson 3 (2 catches 33 yards)
Doug Baldwin 2 (2 catches 33 yards, 1 TD)
Jimmy Graham 2 (1 catch 6 yards)
Jermaine Kearse 1 (1 catch 34 yards)

Yes, he was targeted more in the second half than in the first, once more.

The issue with this game wasn't Jimmy Graham and whether he was targeted enough, but the fact that the OLine looked about as bad as they have all season (I won't say as I have seen them, since they've had some bad ones the last few years). Detriot had free runners at the QB all night long, not to mention that the DLine seemed to overmatch the OLine most of the time as well. Hell, a good number of plays were broken the second the ball was snapped, so who know what would have happened had the line actually looked like it could do it's job.

you are ridiculous. the first pass to graham was 1st and 10 at the 2:48 mark in the 1st quarter, incomplete.
second pass was 13:15 in the 2nd quarter 2nd and 5, 6 yard gain.
no passes to graham in the 3rd quarter.
almost 15 minutes later, the third attempt to graham on 3rd and 7 at the 14:45 mark for 7 yards. THIS WAS A GOOD PLAY.
two offensive plays later after a fumble and a short lions drive they throw to graham again on 1st and 10 for 6 yards
2 plays later to graham for 4 yards on 2nd and 8

and that is it folks. ONE FREAKIN PASS to graham on 3rd down, the rest are garbage short gains. you actually like this? we are paying him 10 million a year for this? 1st and goal from the 9 and you dont throw to graham? well, they did throw to graham but the play was called dead. so of course they couldnt throw it to him again, could they? YES THEY COULD HAVE, AND THEY SHOULD HAVE. puuuuuuuuuuure idiocy.

if you were at the game, youd have been able to see graham wide open on almost every play and wilson not even looking his way because he was probably the last read on most plays. can you name me a single team that leaves their best player as essentially a decoy on almost every play? this is not an nfl offense.

dont give me the garbage about the OL, we all know it sucks, the coaches know it sucks, the other teams know it sucks. so how about altering the offense to make up for this instead of letting wilson drop back and wait to get sacked after 1.3 seconds on EVERY FREAKIN PLAY?

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether it is the coach whonis responsible for the OLs level of play so far is debatable. The Seahawks are at the very bottom of the league in money spent on the OL.

Lynch is probably retired after this year. Every dollar on his contract should be used to upgrade the OL personal. We need at least two more servicable OL men to go from horrible to mediocre.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are ridiculous. the first pass to graham was 1st and 10 at the 2:48 mark in the 1st quarter, incomplete.
second pass was 13:15 in the 2nd quarter 2nd and 5, 6 yard gain.
no passes to graham in the 3rd quarter.
almost 15 minutes later, the third attempt to graham on 3rd and 7 at the 14:45 mark for 7 yards. THIS WAS A GOOD PLAY.
two offensive plays later after a fumble and a short lions drive they throw to graham again on 1st and 10 for 6 yards
2 plays later to graham for 4 yards on 2nd and 8

and that is it folks. ONE FREAKIN PASS to graham on 3rd down, the rest are garbage short gains. you actually like this? we are paying him 10 million a year for this? 1st and goal from the 9 and you dont throw to graham? well, they did throw to graham but the play was called dead. so of course they couldnt throw it to him again, could they? YES THEY COULD HAVE, AND THEY SHOULD HAVE. puuuuuuuuuuure idiocy.

if you were at the game, youd have been able to see graham wide open on almost every play and wilson not even looking his way because he was probably the last read on most plays. can you name me a single team that leaves their best player as essentially a decoy on almost every play? this is not an nfl offense.

dont give me the garbage about the OL, we all know it sucks, the coaches know it sucks, the other teams know it sucks. so how about altering the offense to make up for this instead of letting wilson drop back and wait to get sacked after 1.3 seconds on EVERY FREAKIN PLAY?

Not even worth answering, as you see everything one way and anyone who sees it differently is "ridiculous". Hope you can find a way to enjoy the season.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you could save some time and just copy/paste

Bevell Grrrrr.

Cable Grrrr.

It SUCKS!!!!

You're welcome.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even worth answering, as you see everything one way and anyone who sees it differently is "ridiculous". Hope you can find a way to enjoy the season.
Yeah, gets to be tough to have a meaningful exchange with someone who uses so much hyperbole and insists they know things they really can't know. His opinion is fact!

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are ok with one third down pass to a $10m tight end? That should be our bread and butter.

But no, bevell hasnt a clue how to get the ball to our offensive play makers. He has trouble feeding lynch most of the time too. Just dont get it.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet he has a superbowl ring.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are ok with one third down pass to a $10m tight end? That should be our bread and butter.

But no, bevell hasnt a clue how to get the ball to our offensive play makers. He has trouble feeding lynch most of the time too. Just dont get it.

I'd prefer to see JG more involved. I think we all would. But if a play is designed to go to Graham 10 yards down the field and Wilson is getting swarmed by the time Graham makes it 5 yards down the field, then Wilson is forced to improvise and when that happens he's just going t find the first open guy he can. He was sacked 6 or 7 times? I think Mike Robinson said that number should have been over 12 if not for Wilson's magic acts. How many of those 12 or more plays were supposed to go to JG but never had a chance because of pressure? I've said before and I still believe that Wilson is doing the right thing by not forcing balls to Graham just because he's our expensive new toy. It's smart football to protect the ball. Not to mention that Graham is easily our number receiving threat so he's getting the best coverage our opponents can give. That is bound to limit his catches as well.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's entirely Cable's fault. It's the personnel he is working with.

We've got former two defensive tackles playing on our offensive line, that should tell you something.

As much credit as the front office deserves for building such a talented roster, they have really dropped the ball on the offensive line. From John Moffitt, to James Carpenter, to Justin Britt, the drafting has just been piss poor at offensive line.

Our unit is so bad I really think it seriously dampens our chances of another Superbowl run. I don't think I've ever seen a unit this bad.

Wilson was sacked 6 times against the Lions, and escaped another 6 according to PFF. Put any other QB back there and you're looking at the single season sack record in a game.

I don't think it is Cable's fault either. I think the OL has over-achieved, for the most part, since Cable has been here.

This is not the 2005 team. In 2005, the OL made Hasselbeck and Alexander look better than they realy were. This OL is no where near as talened. But the OL we had in 2013 is also better than what we have now. The guys that are gone from the 2013 OL are not gone because Cable wanted them gone. They are gone for other reasons, mostly having to due with the salary cap.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our offensive stats were pretty good considering ML did not play.
You ignore 6-13 on 3rd down conversions. That is a 46% conversion rate. This year if that was our average, we would be #4 in 3rd downs. We have been pathetic in 3rd down conversions and when we excell, you just can't see it and you just don't get it.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our offensive stats were pretty good considering ML did not play.
You ignore 6-13 on 3rd down conversions. That is a 46% conversion rate. This year if that was our average, we would be #4 in 3rd downs. We have been pathetic in 3rd down conversions and when we excell, you just can't see it and you just don't get it.

How about 1 offensive td? I think we are last in offensive tds or close to it. Whats our red zone effcxiency i would bet one of the worst.