• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is Hue Jackson in demand?

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair...Dalton was having a career year in 2015 before he injured his thumb and missed the rest of the season, and the playoffs. Offense did just enough to win that game in the playoff with McCarron at QB. Hill Fumble, and defensive lapses handed that victory away.

Hue did a decent job in Oakland, and did a good job at OC here in Cincy.

Truth be told, though, who is going to win in Cleveland with that team? There just isn't enough talent with experience on that team to legitimately win 5-6-7 games right now. They hit the reset button when the hired Hue, and it's going to take 3-4 years before you can count on getting wins on a consistent basis.

Like it or not, they need to stick with Hue for at least the rest of the season and into next year. If they keep changing coaches, schemes, and plans, it's never going to work.

This reminds me of when they fired Crennel when he was one year removed from a 10-6 season because of the whole Brady Quinn mess. Where is Quinn now? At least the browns could win 5-6 games then, but the Quinn drama set that team back. Ntm 2008 was the year J Lewis fell off a cliff and Edwards regressed. The browns have not had a winning average that was better since with any other coach.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sticking a QB out there that should still be developing in college was a hilarious decision.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing the Browns have done since '99 has worked. And even though owner Jimmy Haslam is a fucking idiot this franchise dysfunction stared well before he bought the team. I now think he bought the team just to keep them the joke of the NFL & in the league basement.
I fucking hate Jimmy. The league should force him to sell the team. Spanos too while they are at it.

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Marvin Lewis isn't extended, Hugh will be the next head coach of the Bengals! Write it down, you heard it here first. He is a GREAT coach, he is just in a culture where he is set up to fail. Put him in a winning culture like Cincy, badabing.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Marvin Lewis isn't extended, Hugh will be the next head coach of the Bengals! Write it down, you heard it here first. He is a GREAT coach, he is just in a culture where he is set up to fail. Put him in a winning culture like Cincy, badabing.
Pls take him

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raiders were great between the 60s and 80s. They were mostly a disaster after that. They had a little run with Gruden but after he and the GM left, Al took over complete control and it was horrible till the day he died

I remember, Stabler is one of my fav all time qb's, he don't get mentioned often enough when talking about elite qb's as they say....I'm not really sure if there is a clear definition of what that is but it must include outstanding players and he was one.....And Gruden got Tuck Ruled out of a SB appearance with them that he should have went to.....

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is one of the few that I would feel comfortable "turning the reigns over to" in the Nati! I will give you Cleveland fans a vote of confidence in Hugh. Just give him time. What we have in Cincy wasn't built overnight, think of things as a work in progress and take pride in the simple things that you are accomplishing along the way.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember, Stabler is one of my fav all time qb's, he don't get mentioned often enough when talking about elite qb's as they say....I'm not really sure if there is a clear definition of what that is but it must include outstanding players and he was one.....And Gruden got Tuck Ruled out of a SB appearance with them that he should have went to.....

How often does both the HC and GM leave at the same time with a team after having success like that? Al Davis has always been a control freak. He would make personnel decisions about the draft and free agency and even decide who the assistant coaches were going to be. He treated his head coaches like toilet paper. He would even sometimes become involved in coaching strategy. He was very good for decades but the last decade his drafting and free agent decisions were a disaster. The coach had pretty much had no input. It got to the point where no decent NFL assistant would even consider taking the job and Al Davis was left scrambling for college assistant coaches.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is one of the few that I would feel comfortable "turning the reigns over to" in the Nati! I will give you Cleveland fans a vote of confidence in Hugh. Just give him time. What we have in Cincy wasn't built overnight, think of things as a work in progress and take pride in the simple things that you are accomplishing along the way.

Yes and maybe one day your team can be 1 and done in 5 straight playoff games too...:dhd:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sticking a QB out there that should still be developing in college was a hilarious decision.

True, but we can say that about 80% of the QBs in the draft...every year. Goff clearly wasn't ready LY, they did bring him along slowly, but we can see why they did...he wasn't ready just like Kizer, and the kid getting ready to start in CHI, Trubisky...damn, drew a blank on his name for a second.

Starting week 1? I wouldn't have done it, but I think he needed to play at some point this season...losing Coleman (WR1) so early has really hurt him it looks like as Britt is still not giving them much production....also letting Barnidge go is not looking very good either...had some age on him but still a productive TE.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but we can say that about 80% of the QBs in the draft...every year. Goff clearly wasn't ready LY, they did bring him along slowly, but we can see why they did...he wasn't ready just like Kizer, and the kid getting ready to start in CHI, Trubisky...damn, drew a blank on his name for a second.

Starting week 1? I wouldn't have done it, but I think he needed to play at some point this season...losing Coleman (WR1) so early has really hurt him it looks like as Britt is still not giving them much production....also letting Barnidge go is not looking very good either...had some age on him but still a productive TE.

They just threw Wentz out there with no warning and no practice and said "Go," and he went. All the more remarkable.

But Kizer should have been watching for a while.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just threw Wentz out there with no warning and no practice and said "Go," and he went. All the more remarkable.

But Kizer should have been watching for a while.

I'm not disagreeing with you on Kizer...he was thought to be more raw than Trub, and Watson...my point is most of these kids should get 4 to 6 games just to watch how a seasoned vet handles the situation, but they really didn't have that in CLE so you throw him out there...with the hope he learns and is better next next yr.

At least they gave him a decent OL....they didn't even have that LY.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice Bump for this masterpiece

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not disagreeing with you on Kizer...he was thought to be more raw than Trub, and Watson...my point is most of these kids should get 4 to 6 games just to watch how a seasoned vet handles the situation, but they really didn't have that in CLE so you throw him out there...with the hope he learns and is better next next yr.

At least they gave him a decent OL....they didn't even have that LY.

He's learning and getting a little better each time out.

It's a long rebuild process since they completely gutted the team of any valuable asset prior to last season. Not only is their QB raw, but basically all his targets are also learning. It's been slow going, but they have been competitive in most games and have had a chance to win a few at the end of the game. Not seeing Ws yet, but it's a drastic improvement from the previous season.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's learning and getting a little better each time out.

It's a long rebuild process since they completely gutted the team of any valuable asset prior to last season. Not only is their QB raw, but basically all his targets are also learning. It's been slow going, but they have been competitive in most games and have had a chance to win a few at the end of the game. Not seeing Ws yet, but it's a drastic improvement from the previous season.

So are you saying you dont expect them to go QB with the #1 pick?

Man they could trade that pick for a haul this season, but is that the best way to go? How many more Watsons' and Wentz' can they pass on?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you saying you dont expect them to go QB with the #1 pick?

Man they could trade that pick for a haul this season, but is that the best way to go? How many more Watsons' and Wentz' can they pass on?

Correct.

I don't think any of the QBs in this class are worth that #1 pick. They will likely trade out of it.

And lets be honest, how good do you think Watson or Wentz would have been behind that O-line last year and the complete lack of WR talent/experience both years?

The Texans are loaded, and like Dak the year before, Watson fell to a perfect situation to win right away. The Eagles are also loaded with offensive talent around Wentz. I will admit they've been better than I expected them to be, but I'm not sure you can guarantee they would have been near as good in CLE.

IMO, you have to stick to the plan. It's a full 5-year rebuild, and you have to give Hue and the staff about that long to develop the young guys. There's been some progress this year, albeit very little. With all the picks they have in the draft, there should be a lot more progress next yr. If you flip regimes, then you have to restart the learning process again...most of the time that ends poorly in the long run.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think of the Browns plan as the Astros' plan, NFL style.

Had the Astros panicked when they were losing 90-100 games a year early on in the rebuild, they would have never accumulated the young talent that led to the World Series run this past season.

That's the general idea behind the Browns' plan. Whether or not it works nearly as well as the Astros is obviously undecided still.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct.

I don't think any of the QBs in this class are worth that #1 pick. They will likely trade out of it.

And lets be honest, how good do you think Watson or Wentz would have been behind that O-line last year and the complete lack of WR talent/experience both years?

The Texans are loaded, and like Dak the year before, Watson fell to a perfect situation to win right away. The Eagles are also loaded with offensive talent around Wentz. I will admit they've been better than I expected them to be, but I'm not sure you can guarantee they would have been near as good in CLE.

IMO, you have to stick to the plan. It's a full 5-year rebuild, and you have to give Hue and the staff about that long to develop the young guys. There's been some progress this year, albeit very little. With all the picks they have in the draft, there should be a lot more progress next yr. If you flip regimes, then you have to restart the learning process again...most of the time that ends poorly in the long run.

All Fair, but like you mentioned in Houston and maybe to a lesser extent in Philly, you can build as solid a roster as you want, if you have Tom Savage playing the most important position, it doesnt amount to a hill of beans

if you think Kizer is a guy they can build a playoff contender around, than I would trade that #1 for sure....If not, Im just torn over how many more QB's they can pass on that go ahead and turn NFL frnachises around