• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is Hue Jackson in demand?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not totally, but it factored in for sure and after failing miserably already, they gave him another shot at it....And Hue wasn't the sole reason the Bengals made the playoffs while he was there, they did it before he was there and same result....But he had outstanding players and still couldn't get a playoff win....
I don't see the attraction in him as a HC at all.....:noidea:

I'm not trying to defend Hue as a HC...his 1 yr in OAK...he went 8-8 just like his predecessor the yr before.

So far, no one has been able to solve the Dalton playoff dilemma, so I guess that wasn't held against him...lol.

I think he was highly thought of in CIN, and I think would have been a front runner for that job if Lewis had left while he was still there.

My only push back here is I don't think his race was a big factor...a factor?..., yeah I'm not that naive, I agree it probably was a factor.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to defend Hue as a HC...his 1 yr in OAK...he went 8-8 just like his predecessor the yr before.

So far, no one has been able to solve the Dalton playoff dilemma, so I guess that wasn't held against him...lol.

I think he was highly thought of in CIN, and I think would have been a front runner for that job if Lewis had left while he was still there.

My only push back here is I don't think his race was a big factor...a factor?..., yeah I'm not that naive, I agree it probably was a factor.
To be fair...Dalton was having a career year in 2015 before he injured his thumb and missed the rest of the season, and the playoffs. Offense did just enough to win that game in the playoff with McCarron at QB. Hill Fumble, and defensive lapses handed that victory away.

Hue did a decent job in Oakland, and did a good job at OC here in Cincy.

Truth be told, though, who is going to win in Cleveland with that team? There just isn't enough talent with experience on that team to legitimately win 5-6-7 games right now. They hit the reset button when the hired Hue, and it's going to take 3-4 years before you can count on getting wins on a consistent basis.

Like it or not, they need to stick with Hue for at least the rest of the season and into next year. If they keep changing coaches, schemes, and plans, it's never going to work.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like it or not, they need to stick with Hue for at least the rest of the season and into next year. If they keep changing coaches, schemes, and plans, it's never going to work.

^^^^^^^ This!

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^^ This!

Exception being if you draft a QB #1/2/3 next season, may be time to think lonnnng and hard as to whether you want Hue being at the controls of that young mans career

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing the Browns have done since '99 has worked. And even though owner Jimmy Haslam is a fucking idiot this franchise dysfunction stared well before he bought the team. I now think he bought the team just to keep them the joke of the NFL & in the league basement.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exception being if you draft a QB #1/2/3 next season, may be time to think lonnnng and hard as to whether you want Hue being at the controls of that young mans career
Thing is...I like Kizer.

Problem is, he shouldn't be starting right now. His mechanics are way off, and despite having a decent OL, they struggle to protect him and get the running game going. They need to find a real RB that can be leaned on, and get a WR they can trust to catch the ball. Then, after a year of fine tuning his mechanics, give him a shot.

Throwing him out there right now is not doing him, or this team, any good. They need to look big picture, and not worry about this season (as much as tough a sell it is to fans).

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing the Browns have done since '99 has worked. And even though owner Jimmy Haslam is a fucking idiot this franchise dysfunction stared well before he bought the team. I now think he bought the team just to keep them the joke of the NFL & in the league basement.
Consistency.

They lack any type of consistency. You look at teams that are winning year in/out...they have the same owner, personel, players, coaches, schemes.

If you are having major changes in coaching every 2-3 years, you are turning over your roster every 2-3 years to find players that fit that coaches scheme/plays. Then you are setting that team back another year to get into the scheme and really know it inside and out. Not to mention, then the draft misses become glaring, and you start reaching to try and fill spots to compete and that backfires almost 100% of the time.

Browns have had zero consistency since returning to the league. While Hue may not end up being the ultimate right hire, they need to stick to something to at least build up the team to see if this is the direction they need to go. They have good players in place. The OL is solid, and they have some good young talent. They need to allow them experience in this scheme, and then build up the team around them through the next round of F/A and the draft.

It may work. It may not, but it certainly would be something different than what has been going on with coaching changes almost, on average, every 2 years.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consistency.

They lack any type of consistency. You look at teams that are winning year in/out...they have the same owner, personel, players, coaches, schemes.

If you are having major changes in coaching every 2-3 years, you are turning over your roster every 2-3 years to find players that fit that coaches scheme/plays. Then you are setting that team back another year to get into the scheme and really know it inside and out. Not to mention, then the draft misses become glaring, and you start reaching to try and fill spots to compete and that backfires almost 100% of the time.

Browns have had zero consistency since returning to the league. While Hue may not end up being the ultimate right hire, they need to stick to something to at least build up the team to see if this is the direction they need to go. They have good players in place. The OL is solid, and they have some good young talent. They need to allow them experience in this scheme, and then build up the team around them through the next round of F/A and the draft.

It may work. It may not, but it certainly would be something different than what has been going on with coaching changes almost, on average, every 2 years.

Everything you said is why that dumpster fire in Cleveland has been burning for 19 years now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't expect them to take a QB next yr....unless, they end up with #1 overall, and this kid is deemed to be head and shoulders above Kizer. In that case they would probably take the draft pick and trade Kizer.

In that situation, would they keep Hue ('18 would be year 3)? Or start over again with a new HC? For me, if they go 0-16 this season I might be looking to start over again because I haven't seen any progress but if they have won 4 or 5 games...I might trade the pick and stay the course.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect them to take a QB next yr....unless, they end up with #1 overall, and this kid is deemed to be head and shoulders above Kizer. In that case they would probably take the draft pick and trade Kizer.

In that situation, would they keep Hue ('18 would be year 3)? Or start over again with a new HC? For me, if they go 0-16 this season I might be looking to start over again because I haven't seen any progress but if they have won 4 or 5 games...I might trade the pick and stay the course.

You and i were both in the "This Browns team could surprise to a 5 or 6 win season".
If they dont get one vs the Jets next week, i have to think 0-16 or 1-15 is very possible, all but assuring the #1 pick in a very strong QB class

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair...Dalton was having a career year in 2015 before he injured his thumb and missed the rest of the season, and the playoffs. Offense did just enough to win that game in the playoff with McCarron at QB. Hill Fumble, and defensive lapses handed that victory away.

Hue did a decent job in Oakland, and did a good job at OC here in Cincy.

Truth be told, though, who is going to win in Cleveland with that team? There just isn't enough talent with experience on that team to legitimately win 5-6-7 games right now. They hit the reset button when the hired Hue, and it's going to take 3-4 years before you can count on getting wins on a consistent basis.

Didn't he go like 6 or 7 wins and get fired in one yr at Oakland ???....Not decent in my book....
But I don't think Hue or Dalton was the problem in Cincy, it was and is Marvin Lewis...He's a great guy and was a good DC but he is like old man Shotty, can't cut it in the playoffs....The End !!!!

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he go like 6 or 7 wins and get fired in one yr at Oakland ???....Not decent in my book....
But I don't think Hue or Dalton was the problem in Cincy, it was and is Marvin Lewis...He's a great guy and was a good DC but he is like old man Shotty, can't cut it in the playoffs....The End !!!!
You have to remember, that Oakland started that year on fire on offense. Then a myriad of things happened. Campbell (in the middle of a career year) went down. Hue traded for Palmer. While Palmer did ok, he wasn't great having come in and trying to run the offense off the street. Al Davis died, leaving a new ownership in place and a new GM was brought on. Hue did rub some people the wrong way, as reports were that he was very heavy handed in running the team. However, with all the changes in staffing and ownership, I think it would have been tough for any coach to remain outside of winning 10+ games.

I'm not, by any means, saying that Hue is some great coach, but I thought he did decent in Oakland considering. I also believe that no matter who coached Cleveland, they would be in this same boat as they are now. Maybe 1 or 2 wins more, maybe no wins. But there is no consistency in staffing, players, and that all leads to why they struggle to win games. They have some talent there, but they need time and experience. When they blew up that team, it was going to be 3-4 years before this team could realistically expect to win 5-6-7 games in a year.

As for Lewins in Cincy. I agree. I think he was the perfect hire at the time in 2003. He did a masterful job of again rebuilding in 2010/2011. But, he can't get the team over the hump. It is what it is. Some guys are great at building up a team from a talent stand point, but not great at getting the most out of that talent. I think Lewis is one of those guys as a HC.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to remember, that Oakland started that year on fire on offense. Then a myriad of things happened. Campbell (in the middle of a career year) went down. Hue traded for Palmer. While Palmer did ok, he wasn't great having come in and trying to run the offense off the street. Al Davis died, leaving a new ownership in place and a new GM was brought on. Hue did rub some people the wrong way, as reports were that he was very heavy handed in running the team. However, with all the changes in staffing and ownership, I think it would have been tough for any coach to remain outside of winning 10+ games.

I'm not, by any means, saying that Hue is some great coach, but I thought he did decent in Oakland considering. I also believe that no matter who coached Cleveland, they would be in this same boat as they are now. Maybe 1 or 2 wins more, maybe no wins. But there is no consistency in staffing, players, and that all leads to why they struggle to win games. They have some talent there, but they need time and experience. When they blew up that team, it was going to be 3-4 years before this team could realistically expect to win 5-6-7 games in a year.

As for Lewins in Cincy. I agree. I think he was the perfect hire at the time in 2003. He did a masterful job of again rebuilding in 2010/2011. But, he can't get the team over the hump. It is what it is. Some guys are great at building up a team from a talent stand point, but not great at getting the most out of that talent. I think Lewis is one of those guys as a HC.

Hey, we can't have none of this on the hoop, anything beyond first impression is invalid...Logic is not allowed !!:dhd:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Any coach that took an Al Davis team to 8-8 is pretty darn good. Coaches had very little input with Al Davis as owner. Jackson was fired when Reggie McKenzie took over the following season and McKenzie wanted his own guy as HC

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a GREAT up and coming coach!

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any coach that took an Al Davis team to 8-8 is pretty darn good. Coaches had very little input with Al Davis as owner. Jackson was fired when Reggie McKenzie took over the following season and McKenzie wanted his own guy as HC

You might want to send John Madden that memo !! :rolleyes2:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was 8-8 in OAK and got run after one season...they were 8-8 the previous year. IIRC, Hue got fired over the friction between him and FO over some things he reportedly said...as a rookie HC I think he should have kept his mouth shut, he may have survived that 1st yr.

I don't think any of us know what kind of HC he is, but casting off all those vets meant they were starting anew and they quickly found out casting off the OL guys was a mistake. They fixed that this yr, but giving a rookie QB the keys, and limited weapons, he's in a tough spot to deliver much better than they did LY.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was 8-8 in OAK and got run after one season...they were 8-8 the previous year. IIRC, Hue got fired over the friction between him and FO over some things he reportedly said...as a rookie HC I think he should have kept his mouth shut, he may have survived that 1st yr.

I don't think any of us know what kind of HC he is, but casting off all those vets meant they were starting anew and they quickly found out casting off the OL guys was a mistake. They fixed that this yr, but giving a rookie QB the keys, and limited weapons, he's in a tough spot to deliver much better than they did LY.

I'll tell you this....if Marvin is not re-signed after this season, I would have zero problem with Hue coming in to run this team.

As a matter of fact, one of the reasons he ended up in Cleveland was because Brown would not name Hue as a successor to Lewis. With Cleveland doing poorly (no surprise to just about anyone) and Bengals looking. I doubt that Cleveland would balk if Cincinnati requested permission to talk to Hue, especially if they were looking to make another move.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and i were both in the "This Browns team could surprise to a 5 or 6 win season".
If they dont get one vs the Jets next week, i have to think 0-16 or 1-15 is very possible, all but assuring the #1 pick in a very strong QB class

I was also saying the same thing......

But I'm not ready to throw the towel in just yet. Kizer is still a rook and learning. I think not having a serious go to target really hurts his development, ( Coleman is starting to look like an average WR) their running game still blows, Johnson and Crowell are not the answer...

Defense is still missing pieces, no pressure on the QB, corners are either young or below average.....

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might want to send John Madden that memo !! :rolleyes2:
The Raiders were great between the 60s and 80s. They were mostly a disaster after that. They had a little run with Gruden but after he and the GM left, Al took over complete control and it was horrible till the day he died