• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

why did michigan let richrod slip away again?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan can recruit Florida as well as Arizona recruits California, if not much better. That's a stupid trollish excuse.

Although, this idea that RichRod's offense was bad at Michigan is a complete myth.

RR's last three games for Michigan:

Wisconsin L 48-28
@ OSU L 37-7
Bowl Miss St L 52-14

Other notable loss:
MSU L 34-17

So where was this great offense at? IMO it was a gimmick that is hot and cold. Either it's rolling and your winning games 67-65 ( the Illinois game that year) or you are losing by 3 TD's and barely moving the ball. That is why RR was fired in AA.

Yes, they struggled against great defenses,but they put up points on everyone else.

And still lose 6 games in the process. Scoring points on bad teams is not that big a deal IMO.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wisconsin L 48-28
@ OSU L 37-7
Bowl Miss St L 52-14

Other notable loss:
MSU L 34-17

Discounting the bowl game (when he was really already out the door), those three teams were a combined 34-5, and had three of the best defenses in America. Did RichRod have a national-caliber type offense in Ann Arbor? No. Did he have an offense that would have won a lot of games with a good defense? Yes.

All the proof you need is the next year, where Borges' offense put up identical numbers to Rich Rod's of the last couple years, but the presence of an actual DC made you guys 11-2. That's what you would have been had RichRod gotten say, Matteson, to be his DC. You would have been 9-4 or 10-3 most years with an occasional 8-5 or 11-2.

It's tough to say how you would have felt with that. I mean, Carr was forced out after a 9-4 season, and RichRod was forced out after a much-improved 7-6 season. But certainly now it probably looks pretty nice.

Y

Yapp14

Because he's a terrible coach. I wouldn't want RR back in a million years. I wouldn't even reverse time and NOT fire him.
He is not a terrible coach. Granted he was not a fit at Michigan, but I would not call him a terrible coach

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, either way I think the "Michigan man" thing is all a bunch of bullshit. RR had a team ready to compete and then got fired. He had 3 seasons to try to revamp an entire offense? Brady has had 4 years and he can't figure it out. UM would be in a better spot with Dick Rod

Y

Yapp14

Wisconsin L 48-28
@ OSU L 37-7
Bowl Miss St L 52-14

Other notable loss:
MSU L 34-17

So where was this great offense at? IMO it was a gimmick that is hot and cold. Either it's rolling and your winning games 67-65 ( the Illinois game that year) or you are losing by 3 TD's and barely moving the ball. That is why RR was fired in AA.

And still lose 6 games in the process. Scoring points on bad teams is not that big a deal IMO.
The spread offense is a gimmick? Hmmm seems like a few teams out there run this gimmick and do pretty well with it

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THREE-AND-OUT-thumb-250x362-89978.jpg

Required reading for anyone interested in getting the behind the scenes look at Rich Rod's 3 years at Michigan, and the "Michigan Men" who did everything they could to undermine him from the start. Simply because he wasn't a Michigan man himself, and didn't play Michigan style football.

Y

Yapp14

Well, either way I think the "Michigan man" thing is all a bunch of bullshit. RR had a team ready to compete and then got fired. He had 3 seasons to try to revamp an entire offense? Brady has had 4 years and he can't figure it out. UM would be in a better spot with Dick Rod
I agree with you on the "Michigan Man" thing. Its archaic and does not apply in this day and age. Presently, UM has 2 Michigan Men running the Athletic Dept and the football team and things are kinda not so good.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a sad day in Columbus when RMFR left Ann Arbor. Thankfully, Michigan proceeded to hire an even more inept coach in his place. :yahoo:

Y

Yapp14

THREE-AND-OUT-thumb-250x362-89978.jpg

Required reading for anyone interested in getting the behind the scenes look at Rich Rod's 3 years at Michigan, and the "Michigan Men" who did everything they could to undermine him from the start. Simply because he wasn't a Michigan man himself, and didn't play Michigan style football.
I read that and it is an excellent book, even if you are just a college football fan

Y

Yapp14

The midwest doesnt' have the athletes to run a rich rod offense, he's in a good fit where he can get those california kids to run it.
This is a very short sighted comment from you. Michigan had Denard Robinson from FL, before that the Forcier kid who was from CA

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discounting the bowl game (when he was really already out the door), those three teams were a combined 34-5, and had three of the best defenses in America. Did RichRod have a national-caliber type offense in Ann Arbor? No. Did he have an offense that would have won a lot of games with a good defense? Yes.

All the proof you need is the next year, where Borges' offense put up identical numbers to Rich Rod's of the last couple years, but the presence of an actual DC made you guys 11-2. That's what you would have been had RichRod gotten say, Matteson, to be his DC. You would have been 9-4 or 10-3 most years with an occasional 8-5 or 11-2.

It's tough to say how you would have felt with that. I mean, Carr was forced out after a 9-4 season, and RichRod was forced out after a much-improved 7-6 season. But certainly now it probably looks pretty nice.

So if a new coach comes to Michigan and wins 10-11 games will you give Hoke full credit for it?

To me the reason that Michigan went 11-2 was because of the weakness of their schedule that year, and the fact that the team gave up on RR in the middle of the year (after the MSU game IMO). The same scenario that Hoke is facing. RR couldn't win the big games. His defense was among the worst in all college football, and his offense was anemic against good teams.

He is way better than Hoke, but he still did nothing to give the people a reason to keep him as HC at Michigan.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Michigan on firing Lloyd Carr in retrospect:

gob_bluth_huge_mistake.jpg

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The premise of this thread is that Michigan foolishly let the next great coach walk away.
They did no such thing.
They fired a good but not great coach for god awful on field results.

Rich Rod is an alright coach.
But, he is not going to suddenly be considered elite because he beat Oregon.

Michigan was correct in firing him.

They might regret hiring Brady Hoke....but there should be ZERO regrets about losing Rich Rod.

Those are two different things.
They did not fire Rich Rod in order to get Brady Hoke. They probably though they were getting Miles.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15-22
6-18 in the Big Ten
0-6 against MSU/OSU
Defense was a joke
Offense crumbled anytime they played a defense with a pulse
Couldn't find/develop a reliable FG kicker
Noticeable downwards trend in recruiting (namely along the lines)

Great that he is finding success at Arizona, but that is a school/league that is a better fit for the style of play he wants to run. That shit just doesn't work in the Big Ten, and has never won a national title.

I think alot of it has to do with your strength and conditioning program.