• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why did Miami bother to draft Tua?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy hasnt even played a full season

13 career games

7-6
90 QB rating
18 TDs to 9 Ints
2700 yards

Of all the QBs drafted in rounds 1 or 2 the last 2 years the only 2 who are verifiably better than Tua are Burrow and Herbert

Tua is at least as good ( if not better ) than thd rest of them so far

Why bother to waste a top 5 pick on a guy you have no intention of legitimately giving a real shot to?

Plenty of other routes they couldve gone

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tua was fantastic in college, those numbers are decent. Not great, but decent. And the Dolphins were one of the least talented rosters in the NFL. They by far exceeded expectations last year and have regressed back to what people expected of them last year.

Tua is young and still developing. Josh Allen didn’t really start to come into his own until year 3. The jury is still out on Tua, and there’s certainly no reason to believe Miami made a bad move drafting him. Yet…

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tua was fantastic in college, those numbers are decent. Not great, but decent. And the Dolphins were one of the least talented rosters in the NFL. They by far exceeded expectations last year and have regressed back to what people expected of them last year.

Tua is young and still developing. Josh Allen didn’t really start to come into his own until year 3. The jury is still out on Tua, and there’s certainly no reason to believe Miami made a bad move drafting him. Yet…
Agreed. But they seem to think they did. My question was why a franchise would take a QB 5th overall, watch him perform better thsn most young QBs and then be looking to bail after less than a season of starts? Seems crazy to me

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And he looks much better this year than last year. His passes look like they have a lot more zip this year. Last year, I thought his arm was weak. What more do you want from the guy than to improve?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he looks much better this year than last year. His passes look like they have a lot more zip this year. Last year, I thought his arm was weak. What more do you want from the guy than to improve?
His advanced numbers are better this year than last. Hes definitely made some bad decisions but pretty much every young QB does

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But they seem to think they did. My question was why a franchise would take a QB 5th overall, watch him perform better thsn most young QBs and then be looking to bail after less than a season of starts? Seems crazy to me

I don’t think they’re trying to bail. All the talk of moving on from Tua is predicated on them getting Watson. Watson is an upgrade over 75% of the league’s starters (given that he doesn’t end up in deep legal trouble) so even if you have a young QB you believe in, if you have a chance to get a guaranteed upgrade, you do it.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think they’re trying to bail. All the talk of moving on from Tua is predicated on them getting Watson. Watson is an upgrade over 75% of the league’s starters (given that he doesn’t end up in deep legal trouble) so even if you have a young QB you believe in, if you have a chance to get a guaranteed upgrade, you do it.
Thats an awful lot to give considering youre pulling the plug on a guy you just took 5th too. Reeks of desperation to me

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats an awful lot to give considering youre pulling the plug on a guy you just took 5th too. Reeks of desperation to me

It happens… don’t call the NFL “Not For Long” for nothin’.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People said the same thing about AZ drafting Kyler Murray number 1 a year after drafting Josh Rosen.

Sometimes you have to make bold moves. Just better be right when you do.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be poor talent at Miami upper management level? Plus, with Watson out there and supposedly available, makes for a lot of people second guessing the choice of taking Tua. I do think is is to early to bail on him, team is not a QB away from being a top caliber team, they have many issues on that team that need to be addressed.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB may be the most important position in all of sports. They drafted one that had the chance to be a franchise QB. After Year 1 they may have felt that they missed, so they looked to upgrade with a top 5 QB (if the rumors are true). Not sure what's hard to understand, it all makes perfect sense to me.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking Tuesday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league does not have the necessary information to put Texans QB Deshaun Watson on the commissioner's exempt list.​

That confirms Watson is eligible to play if he were to be traded, as has been the rumor around the league over the past week (and past few months, to be frank). The league appears to want no part of the Watson investigation, and it's one of the strangest situations in recent memory with Goodell and the NFL refusing to take action. There is no end in sight for this saga.

The Houston Chronicle reported on Tuesday that the Dolphins and Texans have agreed to terms on a trade for QB Deshaun Watson, but the Dolphins want clarity on his legal issues before going through with it.​

That means there is no timeline on when Watson could be a Dolphin, as there is no end in sight for his legal issues. Regardless, it's interesting to confirm that there have been talks and potentially even an agreement between the two sides on a deal to send Watson to Miami, even if nothing is imminent on account of the accusations levied toward the quarterback.

just cause your looking dont mean your buying:suds:

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards took Rosen at 10 and moved on after 1 year because they felt Murray was light years better and they had the #1 pick to get him. In addition, they were able to salvage a #2 pick in a trade for Rosen which was more Kiem genius. If there was a Murray caliber QB in the draft next year, I might understand the idea of moving on from Tua, but there is not.

I agree with you. To give up on Tua for Watson who has a ton of unsettled legal issues is just stupid. Tua is developing, however his injury history is more of a concern to me.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly this is more about Watson than Tua. If Watson somehow gets cleared then you have a top 5 to top 10 QB for the next decade or so. A potential MVP candidate year in and year out.

Tua looks okay atm but he is coming off playing the Jaguars and Falcons. His overall package of being 7.1 YPA 22 TDs in 13 games. 200 YPG counting the air and ground. Not terrible and he might be improving but its not hard to see why a GM would take Watson.

Of course, I have no idea why anyone would want the media s-storm that is going to follow Watson.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly this is more about Watson than Tua. If Watson somehow gets cleared then you have a top 5 to top 10 QB for the next decade or so. A potential MVP candidate year in and year out.

Tua looks okay atm but he is coming off playing the Jaguars and Falcons. His overall package of being 7.1 YPA 22 TDs in 13 games. 200 YPG counting the air and ground. Not terrible and he might be improving but its not hard to see why a GM would take Watson.

Of course, I have no idea why anyone would want the media s-storm that is going to follow Watson.
I mean if its just Watson and Tua then obviously its Watson

But its not

Its a top 5 pick ( Tua ), a shit load of other picks and 30M plus per year

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where Miami really screwed up was playing Fitz last year and winning games early. They then tried to hedge their rebuild and put Tua in, while also trying to win/compete. They completely abandoned their rebuild plan in year 1. Monumental mistake.

Tua may, or may not, be the long-term answer at QB - but anyone is going to struggle in this offense with that OL. Use the picks, build around him - and if he's not the guy in 2-3 years when the rest of the team is ready to compete at a high(er) level, then you either draft a new QB or sign a good F/A (a la Fitz) and start that process.

To do what is being suggested is simply organizational suicide. Lost 2 years of a rebuild because they screwed up by winning, and then trying to win, in year 1 - and then to give up the assets they received for a QB who isn't likely to win them much more with how the current team is constructed, and now a lack of top-end draft picks is...Well, even the Bengals haven't managed to get this screwed up.....lol

Ol School

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincy fan, well said. Clearly MIAs problems start at the top. Perhaps a 2 week training course with a certain baseball team in my neck of the woods...the Rayz.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People said the same thing about AZ drafting Kyler Murray number 1 a year after drafting Josh Rosen.

Sometimes you have to make bold moves. Just better be right when you do.
You can’t compare Tua to Rosen. Rosen should’ve been a UDFA.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where Miami really screwed up was playing Fitz last year and winning games early. They then tried to hedge their rebuild and put Tua in, while also trying to win/compete. They completely abandoned their rebuild plan in year 1. Monumental mistake.

Tua may, or may not, be the long-term answer at QB - but anyone is going to struggle in this offense with that OL. Use the picks, build around him - and if he's not the guy in 2-3 years when the rest of the team is ready to compete at a high(er) level, then you either draft a new QB or sign a good F/A (a la Fitz) and start that process.

To do what is being suggested is simply organizational suicide. Lost 2 years of a rebuild because they screwed up by winning, and then trying to win, in year 1 - and then to give up the assets they received for a QB who isn't likely to win them much more with how the current team is constructed, and now a lack of top-end draft picks is...Well, even the Bengals haven't managed to get this screwed up.....lol

Tua was coming off a major injury and wasn't ready to play at the start of the year. Many expected him to sit the whole year. It wasn't a mistake at all tostart Fitz. But yeahits very confusing that they drafted an injured guy in the top 5 and haven't shown any patience at all. I mean I guess they seem him in practice and with his teammates and in meetings every day, so they may know more than us. But on the surface it's baffling.