• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's your pick for the four playoff teams?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said they didn't have an advantage. I've said that the top recruits go to places that give them the best opportunity. And I showed you the big difference in Alabama recruiting.

You have to take what I say to the extreme because you know you ain't really got shit to say.

What did you show me? If you want to show me -- show me all the 5 star recruits from Alabama that left the state.

And you've been arguing with me for the past day because I said schools have an advantage in recruiting for in state recruits, especially blue blood schools. You've been arguing it doesn't saying no look at Bama's classes before Saban. So there must have been a long list of 5 star recruits signing out of state.

And all I've been saying is what everyone CFB already knows -- you seem to think Saban is turning water to wine. Fact is, he has, BY FAR, the most talent on his roster. He is a tremendous recruiter and when you put him in the SEC footprint, it almost isn't fair. Hence the reason I've said -- very good coach. In the SEC, he is a great coach because he has vastly more talented teams than the rest of the country.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like USC's schedule so I put them in.
Bama will be in, well bc they are Bama. If you don't get in after having 8 in a row #1 recruiting classes you aren't doing it right. So they will be in.
I have a homer pick. I say J.T. improves a little. They need WR's to step up though and that is what I most worried about. I mean he was shit other than running the ball and they got there last year. They do have to play Oklahoma again which is always tough.
My last pick is between Louisville and Florida St but I think the future looks good for both teams, I take FSU, I am not forgetting about Clemson but they got their ship. Mainly for the fact FSU plays Bama, if they have a close game and can takedown Louisville and Clemson they would make it in the final four for sure.

The Final Four:

Alabama
USC
Ohio State
Florida State

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did you show me? If you want to show me -- show me all the 5 star recruits from Alabama that left the state.

And you've been arguing with me for the past day because I said schools have an advantage in recruiting for in state recruits, especially blue blood schools. You've been arguing it doesn't saying no look at Bama's classes before Saban. So there must have been a long list of 5 star recruits signing out of state.

And all I've been saying is what everyone CFB already knows -- you seem to think Saban is turning water to wine. Fact is, he has, BY FAR, the most talent on his roster. He is a tremendous recruiter and when you put him in the SEC footprint, it almost isn't fair. Hence the reason I've said -- very good coach. In the SEC, he is a great coach because he has vastly more talented teams than the rest of the country.

So are you saying Saban's only a very good coach because he has a complete CFB coaching resume but Jimmy Jam's a great CFB coach because he hasn't beaten his rival or won a conference crown or has multiple big time bowl W's & no Natty's? And try not to bring up what Jimmy Jam did in the NFL to validate his CFB coaching career. The NFL & CFB aren't the same.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So Alabama didn't start having 5 stars until Saban came to Alabama.

Ok.

I don't see much argument here. All I see is you trying to make excuses for Harbaugh.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Alabama didn't start having 5 stars until Saban came to Alabama.

Ok.

I don't see much argument here. All I see is you trying to make excuses for Harbaugh.

I'm not making any excuses. I'm stating facts. UM gets 5 star recruits, but getting a player like Donovan Peoples Jones is a once a decade type a thing because the state of Michigan very rarely produces 5 star recruits.

As I stated -- Alabama signed more 5 star recruits over 3 years from the state of Alabama than the state of Michigan has produced since they instituted the star rankings. To you, that isn't an advantage though. :scratch:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not making any excuses. I'm stating facts. UM gets 5 star recruits, but getting a player like Donovan Peoples Jones is a once a decade type a thing because the state of Michigan very rarely produces 5 star recruits.

As I stated -- Alabama signed more 5 star recruits over 3 years from the state of Alabama than the state of Michigan has produced since they instituted the star rankings. To you, that isn't an advantage though. :scratch:

The reason Alabama signed those recruits isn't because they lived in the state of Alabama and you are just making these claims to excuse Harbaugh.

Ask Texas fans how much advantage they have right now in getting 5-star talent in their state. Then ask them how much easier it was 10 years ago. Now figure out what changed, because the school is still in Austin Texas - google it if you don't believe me.

In 2009, they played in the BCS NCG.

2010 - 5
2011 - 2
2012 - 2
2013 - 1
2014 - 0
2015 - 1
2016 - 0
2017 - 0

So in the past 5 recruiting classes, they have had a total of 2 5 stars. This while being a blue blood in what may be the state with the biggest recruits in the nation. Where is this huge advantage for them now?

Where do they go? A good bit of them have been coming to Alabama, LSU and other schools that have what? Success and a reputation for developing NFL quality talent. Otherwise, when they aren't playing well the recruits ain't coming, the same as it was for Alabama before Saban.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason Alabama signed those recruits isn't because they lived in the state of Alabama and you are just making these claims to excuse Harbaugh.

Ask Texas fans how much advantage they have right now in getting 5-star talent in their state. Then ask them how much easier it was 10 years ago. Now figure out what changed, because the school is still in Austin Texas - google it if you don't believe me.

In 2009, they played in the BCS NCG.

2010 - 5
2011 - 2
2012 - 2
2013 - 1
2014 - 0
2015 - 1
2016 - 0
2017 - 0

So in the past 5 recruiting classes, they have had a total of 2 5 stars. This while being a blue blood in what may be the state with the biggest recruits in the nation. Where is this huge advantage for them now?

Where do they go? A good bit of them have been coming to Alabama, LSU and other schools that have what? Success and a reputation for developing NFL quality talent. Otherwise, when they aren't playing well the recruits ain't coming, the same as it was for Alabama before Saban.

Of course -- Texas has been a disaster. They aren't going to go to the school just to go to the school, but blue bloods don't stay down for long, as they have too much money to let it continue. They will do exactly what Michigan did and USC did, etc. -- keep throwing money at coaches until you get the right one.

The difference is -- you hire the right coach and all those recruits are there for the taking in Texas. That will never be the case at Michigan and WHY I said Saban could never do at MSU what Dantonio has -- because he'd NEVER bring in recruiting classes like he can in the SEC.

Also, Texas is HUMONGOUS. So just because you live in the state of Texas doesn't mean you grew up a Texas fan -- they have Baylor, Texas A&M, Texas, TCU, Houston, etc. It is almost 1000 miles from one end of Texas to the other. It is the same with California -- just because you grew up in California doesn't mean you are a USC fan. Or Florida. The reason these states pump out recruits is the sheer number and size of the states.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course -- Texas has been a disaster. They aren't going to go to the school just to go to the school, but blue bloods don't stay down for long, as they have too much money to let it continue. They will do exactly what Michigan did and USC did, etc. -- keep throwing money at coaches until you get the right one.

The difference is -- you hire the right coach and all those recruits are there for the taking in Texas. That will never be the case at Michigan and WHY I said Saban could never do at MSU what Dantonio has -- because he'd NEVER bring in recruiting classes like he can in the SEC.

Also, Texas is HUMONGOUS. So just because you live in the state of Texas doesn't mean you grew up a Texas fan -- they have Baylor, Texas A&M, Texas, TCU, Houston, etc. It is almost 1000 miles from one end of Texas to the other. It is the same with California -- just because you grew up in California doesn't mean you are a USC fan. Or Florida. The reason these states pump out recruits is the sheer number and size of the states.

But Alabama/Saban just happens to get them because he is in the SEC territory? No, it's because of what Saban has built that we get recruits from across the nation. Simply being in a recruiting area doesn't guarantee you anything.

Of course if Texas gets back to being a major program in the running every year they will get many more big recruits, that's the point.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban would be able to pull recruits to any Blue Blood program he is at. It's a cache that he just brings with winning. Outside of Urbam Meyer, no one comes close. They both are the only active college head coaches that have won multiple titles and both have done one at multiple schools. Saban could bring a top ten class to Rutgers year one if he had a breakdown and wanted to throw himself off a building but instead choose to do the coaching equivalent.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I've seen highlights from our first spring practice today.

1) Washington
2) Washington
3) Washington
4) Washington

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Alabama/Saban just happens to get them because he is in the SEC territory? No, it's because of what Saban has built that we get recruits from across the nation. Simply being in a recruiting area doesn't guarantee you anything.

Of course if Texas gets back to being a major program in the running every year they will get many more big recruits, that's the point.

What is so difficult to understand for you? Do you think SEC coaches are the best recruiters? Or does the SEC have the most 5 star recruits, by a landslide, because.........wait for it -- they grew up watching SEC football or as a fan of an SEC team?

And I will explain this in terms you will understand. You could put Saban as HC at Michigan, he could win a NC and you know how many in state 5 star recruits itd get him? Next to none, because the state of Michigan very rarely produces 5 star recruits.

You can say the same about Nebraska. That is called an advantage. And I'm still waiting on the list of 5 star recruits left the state of Alabama.

Last edited:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the 5 years before Saban took over this is how Bama did with in state recruiting:

2002 - Out of the six 4/5 stars Bama signed 1(National recruiting rank of 47)
2003 - Out of the nine 4/5 stars Bama signed 3(National recruiting rank of 41)
2004 - Out of the four 4/5 stars Bama signed 1(National recruiting rank of 30)
2005 - Out of the four 4/5 stars Bama signed 1(National recruiting rank of 21)
2006 - Out of the seven 4/5 stars Bama signed 1(National recruiting rank of 15)

So to sum up there were a combined thirty 4/5 stars and Bama signed 7 of them.

By the time 2008 rolled around and Saban had the opportunity to recruit for a full year, out of the twelve 4/5 stars Bama signed NINE of them. Which is two more than the entire classes signed between 2002-2006. Kids weren't going to Bama.

Bama wasn't getting good recruits before Saban, and the location of the university hasn't changed.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 5 years before Saban took over this is how Bama did with in state recruiting:

2002 - Out of the six 4/5 stars Bama signed 1(National recruiting rank of 47)
2003 - Out of the nine 4/5 stars Bama signed 3(National recruiting rank of 41)
2004 - Out of the four 4/5 stars Bama signed 1(National recruiting rank of 30)
2005 - Out of the four 4/5 stars Bama signed 1(National recruiting rank of 21)
2006 - Out of the seven 4/5 stars Bama signed 1(National recruiting rank of 15)

So to sum up there were a combined thirty 4/5 stars and Bama signed 7 of them.

By the time 2008 rolled around and Saban had the opportunity to recruit for a full year, out of the twelve 4/5 stars Bama signed NINE of them. Which is two more than the entire classes signed between 2002-2006. Kids weren't going to Bama.

Bama wasn't getting good recruits before Saban, and the location of the university hasn't changed.

Feel free to list all the 5 star recruits that left the state, since you want to join in. It was a simple question and I've yet to hear a response.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel free to list all the 5 star recruits that left the state, since you want to join in. It was a simple question and I've yet to hear a response.

37% of the 4/5 star kids left the state. 33% of the 5 star recruits left the state.

But the point remains Bama wasn't getting the in state kids. Between 2002-2006 Bama signed 23% of the 4/5 kids. Since Saban's first recruiting cycle Bama has signed 57% of 4/5 star kids in state, and those %'s have been declining because he isn't focusing on kids that are low level 4 stars in the state.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
37% of the 4/5 star kids left the state. 33% of the 5 star recruits left the state.

But the point remains Bama wasn't getting the in state kids. Between 2002-2006 Bama signed 23% of the 4/5 kids. Since Saban's first recruiting cycle Bama has signed 57% of 4/5 star kids in state, and those %'s have been declining because he isn't focusing on kids that are low level 4 stars in the state.

The reason I keep asking for the 5 star names -- because the quality of recruits in the south has continued to rise as the population has shifted to the warmer climates.

The reason I didn't ask about 4 star recruits is they are not must have players if they don't fit the program so you may not even offer some of them or may put out an offer but don't spend any time recruiting them. That will never happen with an in state 5 star recruit.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also. I agree schools must get their top in state recruits. I don't know much about Shula's recruiting, but he could have been like DickRod at Michigan. He recruited next to no one fromMichigan and Ohio. Hoke did much more and Harbaugh made it a point to get the top recruits in state (This last year signing the top 7 guys from the state).

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I keep asking for the 5 star names -- because the quality of recruits in the south has continued to rise as the population has shifted to the warmer climates.

The reason I didn't ask about 4 star recruits is they are not must have players if they don't fit the program so you may not even offer some of them or may put out an offer but don't spend any time recruiting them. That will never happen with an in state 5 star recruit.

Between 2002-2006 Alabama signed 33% of the 5 star kids. Between 2008-2017 Alabama has signed 80% of the 5 star kids in the state. That's a pretty significant % increase. Do you think Alabama would have had the success they had if they continued to get 33% of the 5 stars and/or 23% of the 4/5 stars like they were prior to Saban? Hell no. My guess is Florida, LSU and Auburn would have dominated college football if Bama made a shitty hire instead of Saban.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between 2002-2006 Alabama signed 33% of the 5 star kids. Between 2008-2017 Alabama has signed 80% of the 5 star kids in the state. That's a pretty significant % increase. Do you think Alabama would have had the success they had if they continued to get 33% of the 5 stars and/or 23% of the 4/5 stars like they were prior to Saban? Hell no. My guess is Florida, LSU and Auburn would have dominated college football if Bama made a shitty hire instead of Saban.

You seem to have info you are pulling the stats from. How many 5 star recruits were from Alabama from 2002-2006? And how many has the state had over the last decade?