• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's your pick for the four playoff teams?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dantonio was able to pull in multiple top 25 classes at Michigan State and Saban left for Michigan State tomorrow, I would bet he'd be able to land top 10/15 classes. Plus some of the best years Dantonio had were when the B1G was historically awful. 2010, 2013 and 2014 being prime examples. And I don't say that to take anything away from Dantonio, I think he's great.

I don't think you're giving him enough respect for coaching ability. In just his second year he had Bama at #1 in the country, playing in the SECCG. And these would have been the ranking of classes on that team:

2008 - #3
2007 - #13
2006 - #15
2005 - #21

So he either did it with a bunch of talented true freshman or upperclassmen that weren't that talented according to the recruiting rankings. Those aren't the type of rankings that should merit a team being 12-0 and ranked #1 in the country, unless they are being coached up.

This is the part you are missing. Michigan State has a ceiling. Samurai will tell you himself, MSU territory in the state of Michigan is few and far between. Even Detroit King, a school in Detroit that has been a feeder for MSU has had big time recruits shun MSU and sign with UM (Lavert Hill, Ambry Thomas) since Harbaugh signed on. With Urban Meyer at OSU, it has shrunk the opportunities in that state as well, which hurts UM too, as Ohio is a state both schools try to bring in recruits.

MSU had a tremendous run for a handful of years -- Dantonio is going to have a tough time sustaining success because Harbaugh has made securing the recruits in state a priority when there are quality recruits to be had and if OSU wants a recruit in Ohio, he will sign him.

I don't doubt Saban's ability to recruit. But he isn't a miracle worker. MSU doesn't have the academics of UM, they don't have the type of facilities UM and OSU have (not putting down MSU but UM and OSU spend an absurd amount on football). They are not one of the blue bloods. On top of that -- football plays second fiddle to basketball at the school.

If you think Saban could pull in consistent top 10-15 classes. He'd have to open up the checkbook and put recruits on the payroll.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the part you are missing. Michigan State has a ceiling. Samurai will tell you himself, MSU territory in the state of Michigan is few and far between. Even Detroit King, a school in Detroit that has been a feeder for MSU has had big time recruits shun MSU and sign with UM (Lavert Hill, Ambry Thomas) since Harbaugh signed on. With Urban Meyer at OSU, it has shrunk the opportunities in that state as well, which hurts UM too, as Ohio is a state both schools try to bring in recruits.

MSU had a tremendous run for a handful of years -- Dantonio is going to have a tough time sustaining success because Harbaugh has made securing the recruits in state a priority when there are quality recruits to be had and if OSU wants a recruit in Ohio, he will sign him.

I don't doubt Saban's ability to recruit. But he isn't a miracle worker. MSU doesn't have the academics of UM, they don't have the type of facilities UM and OSU have (not putting down MSU but UM and OSU spend an absurd amount on football). They are not one of the blue bloods. On top of that -- football plays second fiddle to basketball at the school.

If you think Saban could pull in consistent top 10-15 classes. He'd have to open up the checkbook and put recruits on the payroll.

So you're telling me that Saban couldn't manage to get top 15 classes when Dantonio was able to sign a class that ranked 17? That's a bunch of bull shit, or you don't think Saban is a good recruiter all the sudden.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're telling me that Saban couldn't manage to get top 15 classes when Dantonio was able to sign a class that ranked 17? That's a bunch of bull shit, or you don't think Saban is a good recruiter all the sudden.

Getting one class and continually bringing in top classes is two completely different things. What has made MSU and Dantonio really good recently is developing low level talent into NFL draft picks.

What makes Saban great is recruiting the best of the best and getting them all in the same page and convincing them to join Bama and be a backup til it is their time to play. It is actually amazing to see him pull this off.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mv5a_f-maxage-0.gif

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Saban went to MSU today he would bring in #1 classes there, provided Michigan St supported him the way Alabama does.

It's funny that you can't seem to grasp coaches get better over time.

You are truly delusional and this comment alone tells me you arent a CFB fan, you are solely a Bama fan.

Not only would he be at a school, where basketball is the #1 sport. He'd be at a school which is #2 in its own state. On top of that -- he'd be in a state with marginal HS recruits and if he wants to recruit in the South and West, he'd have to sell them on going from sunny all year to winter and fall half the year. Oh yeah, he'd also have to convince them to go to MSU over OSU and UM, who spend roughly 50 million more a year on their programs, have better facilities and are blue blood programs.

I honestly can't stop laughing at this comment from you.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Saban went to MSU today he would bring in #1 classes there, provided Michigan St supported him the way Alabama does.

It's funny that you can't seem to grasp coaches get better over time.
I wouldn't say #1 but definitely a top 10, probably top 5.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say #1 but definitely a top 10, probably top 5.

Would depend on the amount of support Saban got. If they did everything he requested the way Alabama has, I have no doubt he'd be pulling in #1 classes.

And within a few years I could see Michigan St doing exactly what Alabama has been doing. It didn't start out #1 classes all the time, it happened after a few years of building.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are truly delusional and this comment alone tells me you arent a CFB fan, you are solely a Bama fan.

Not only would he be at a school, where basketball is the #1 sport. He'd be at a school which is #2 in its own state. On top of that -- he'd be in a state with marginal HS recruits and if he wants to recruit in the South and West, he'd have to sell them on going from sunny all year to winter and fall half the year. Oh yeah, he'd also have to convince them to go to MSU over OSU and UM, who spend roughly 50 million more a year on their programs, have better facilities and are blue blood programs.

I honestly can't stop laughing at this comment from you.

If Richrod had come to Alabama instead of Michigan, we'd probably still be looking at classes ranked in the 20's and 30's.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Richrod had come to Alabama instead of Michigan, we'd probably still be looking at classes ranked in the 20's and 30's.

You are delusional if you think Saban would go to a basketball school, in a state with limited recruits, is the #2 school in the state in terms of academics, facilities, stadium etc. and he'd bring in #1 recruiting classes.

It is laughable you'd even say this. Michigan State fans aren't even foolish enough to make that comment.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are delusional if you think Saban would go to a basketball school, in a state with limited recruits, is the #2 school in the state in terms of academics, facilities, stadium etc. and he'd bring in #1 recruiting classes.

It is laughable you'd even say this. Michigan State fans aren't even foolish enough to make that comment.

You should check out LSU and how LSU became what it is today.

A coach like Saban would create a culture change and an extreme level of hype.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would depend on the amount of support Saban got. If they did everything he requested the way Alabama has, I have no doubt he'd be pulling in #1 classes.

And within a few years I could see Michigan St doing exactly what Alabama has been doing. It didn't start out #1 classes all the time, it happened after a few years of building.

Hmmmm -- Saban has signed, what, 17 in state 5 star recruits from 2007-2016. The state of Michigan has had 2 total over that time period.

I'm sure Saban will definitely convince those southern 5 star recruits to come to MSU to play in the cold and cheer on the basketball team. :pound:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should check out LSU and how LSU became what it is today.

A coach like Saban would create a culture change and an extreme level of hype.

Newsflash -- Louisiana is one of the most talent rich states for HS recruits AND LSU is the only major D-1 program in the state. It is also in the South, where it is warm all year round.

Michigan State is a basketball school, who had a great run under Dantonio developing low level talent into NFL draft picks. The state has had TWO five star recruits from 2007-2016. Not two a year. Two TOTAL.

So you can keep up your pipe dream, but it would NEVER happen and it is why I've said REPEATEDLY. Saban will never leave the SEC.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newsflash -- Louisiana is one of the most talent rich states for HS recruits AND LSU is the only major D-1 program in the state. It is also in the South, where it is warm all year round.

Michigan State is a basketball school, who had a great run under Dantonio developing low level talent into NFL draft picks. The state has had TWO five star recruits from 2007-2016. Not two a year. Two TOTAL.

So you can keep up your pipe dream, but it would NEVER happen and it is why I've said REPEATEDLY. Saban will never leave the SEC.
So Saban, with his multiple national titles, could not bring highly rated classes into Michigan State because of the talent in this area? So how exactly could Brady Freaking Hoke do it for Michigan recruiting the same area?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Saban, with his multiple national titles, could not bring highly rated classes into Michigan State because of the talent in this area? So how exactly could Brady Freaking Hoke do it for Michigan recruiting the same area?

You do realize there is a big difference between Michigan and Michigan State, right?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmmmm -- Saban has signed, what, 17 in state 5 star recruits from 2007-2016. The state of Michigan has had 2 total over that time period.

I'm sure Saban will definitely convince those southern 5 star recruits to come to MSU to play in the cold and cheer on the basketball team. :pound:

You have to be about the worst I've ever meet when it comes to not understanding correlation doesn't imply causation.

I'm surprised you haven't claimed it's the Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies he eats that is responsible for his success and that's why he'll keep on eating them until he dies. Then you'll constantly repeat how he eats them and that it must be the reason for the success.

I'm sure if Harbaugh for some reason couldn't eat them you would.

Repeat after me: Correlation does not imply causation.

Just because 2 things happen, it does not imply 1 is responsible for the other.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize there is a big difference between Michigan and Michigan State, right?
So if Saban went back to Michigan State, he would have a hard time recruiting nationally, but Hoke (who had done nothing) had no problem?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to be about the worst I've ever meet when it comes to not understanding correlation doesn't imply causation.

I'm surprised you haven't claimed it's the Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies he eats that is responsible for his success and that's why he'll keep on eating them until he dies. Then you'll constantly repeat how he eats them and that it must be the reason for the success.

I'm sure if Harbaugh for some reason couldn't eat them you would.

Repeat after me: Correlation does not imply causation.

Just because 2 things happen, it does not imply 1 is responsible for the other.

You can repeat your little saying all you'd like, but it honestly just confirms even further you aren't a CFB fan, and I understand further why you are called a bandwagon fan by a few on here.

Here is your top 10 recruiting classes this past year (not in order) -- tell me what you see:
Alabama
OSU
Georgia
Michigan
USC
FSU
LSU
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Florida

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Saban went back to Michigan State, he would have a hard time recruiting nationally, but Hoke (who had done nothing) had no problem?

Michigan is a national brand and blue blood program. They are one of the best public universities in the US for academics.

They also spend about 50 million more a year on football than MSU. Have the largest football stadium in CFB. And some of the best football facilities in CFB, which includes 100,000+ square foot practice facility. Hell, they just approved $25 million to build a new 32,000 square foot weight room.

There is a reason why MSU has had the success they did and it barely changed their recruiting. There is a reason, Brady Freaking Hoke can bring in top 10 recruiting classes while getting fired in 4 years at UM.