• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Who was the best team in 2017?

Who was the best team in 2017?

• Total voters

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still say Oklahoma would have been a better match against Alabama than Georgia but, we will never know. Georgia won it fair and square and deserved their shot.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still say Oklahoma would have been a better match against Alabama than Georgia but, we will never know. Georgia won it fair and square and deserved their shot.
Probably...because Tua would never have gotten in the game against the Mikey Stoops defense. :lol:

But, a bunch of Bama defensive subs may have gotten in the game. It'd have been fun to watch the OU offense against Bama's defense.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably...because Tua would never have gotten in the game against the Mikey Stoops defense. :lol:

But, a bunch of Bama defensive subs may have gotten in the game. It'd have been fun to watch the OU offense against Bama's defense.

I agree Oklahoma would have been a tougher matchup for Alabama. Even Stoops was 3-0 vs them. I wish we could have seen it.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama - They won the official National Championship Game, but they failed to reach the SEC Conference Championship. They had 0 wins vs Top 15 heading into the bowl season and lost their only game vs Top 10. However, they did dominate top seed Clemson and did win over SEC Champion Georgia.

Ohio State - Had wins over 2 Top 10 teams and 4 vs Top 15 in the Final AP Poll. USC's loss to them bumped them out of Top 10 and MSU's dominating win over Washington State brought them up to Top 15. However, they had two losses, one was a blowout loss to some sexy looking team. But their resume is a great resume.

UCF - They did not lose and correct me if I am wrong here but UCF's biggest win was to the same team that gave Alabama their loss. Okay, I know I am stretching here, but I don't care.

Inlcuding Ohio State as an option here is a joke if you're only including three teams.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You couldn't even beat the easier version of Alabama.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Oklahoma would have been a tougher matchup for Alabama. Even Stoops was 3-0 vs them. I wish we could have seen it.

Stoops played 2 of those games when Oklahoma was #1 and Alabama wasn't even ranked. The other game nobody cared about, but grats on reaching the same heights as Utah?

The only reason Oklahoma would have been a different game than Georgia is Alabama never would have needed to change QB's to beat Oklahoma with your Jerry's kids defense. Georgia actually played defense and shut our running QB down, Oklahoma wouldn't be able to stop it.

I wish I could have seen it too. Oklahoma fans talk about that Sugar Bowl win more than any opponent in Alabama history even years later. Worse playoff record than Oregon, "but remember that time we beat Alabama in that meaningless bowl game". Is it the highlight of your program lately or something?

But I guess losing to Iowa St means you can beat Alabama.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoops played 2 of those games when Oklahoma was #1 and Alabama wasn't even ranked. The other game nobody cared about, but grats on reaching the same heights as Utah?

The only reason Oklahoma would have been a different game than Georgia is Alabama never would have needed to change QB's to beat Oklahoma with your Jerry's kids defense. Georgia actually played defense and shut our running QB down, Oklahoma wouldn't be able to stop it.

I wish I could have seen it too. Oklahoma fans talk about that Sugar Bowl win more than any opponent in Alabama history even years later. Worse playoff record than Oregon, "but remember that time we beat Alabama in that meaningless bowl game". Is it the highlight of your program lately or something?

But I guess losing to Iowa St means you can beat Alabama.

Your weakness was the back end of your defense. Look what Auburn did to you with a Big 12 reject quarterback. Baker would have lit that shit up worse than Trevor Knight did.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your weakness was the back end of your defense. Look what Auburn did to you with a Big 12 reject quarterback. Baker would have lit that shit up worse than Trevor Knight did.

Our secondary was the strength of our defense this year because our pass rush was no where near what it was last year and we lost like 4 or 5 linebackers who just barely made it back in time for the Auburn game but weren't 100%.

Which is probably why Auburn found success ON THE GROUND against Alabama, especially when it came to converting 3rd downs. Not in the passing game as you seem to claim as they threw for 0 TD's in the game(unless you count the one their RB threw).

So I really don't know what you are talking about, and I don't think you do either.

Alabama had a better defense than Georgia, and Georgia pretty much shut Mayfield down after making a few adjustments.

This wasn't 2013 when our secondary was suspect due to kicking a bunch of defenders off the team, nor was it a game that nobody cared about. Oklahoma fans bringing that game up would be like Iowa St fans trying to claim they are better than Oklahoma.

But I guess it's all you got.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our secondary was the strength of our defense this year because our pass rush was no where near what it was last year and we lost like 4 or 5 linebackers who just barely made it back in time for the Auburn game but weren't 100%.

Which is probably why Auburn found success ON THE GROUND against Alabama, especially when it came to converting 3rd downs. Not in the passing game as you seem to claim as they threw for 0 TD's in the game(unless you count the one their RB threw).

So I really don't know what you are talking about, and I don't think you do either.

Alabama had a better defense than Georgia, and Georgia pretty much shut Mayfield down after making a few adjustments.

This wasn't 2013 when our secondary was suspect due to kicking a bunch of defenders off the team, nor was it a game that nobody cared about. Oklahoma fans bringing that game up would be like Iowa St fans trying to claim they are better than Oklahoma.

But I guess it's all you got.

OU scored 48 points on Georgia so if that's "shutting Baker down" then so be it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU scored 48 points on Georgia so if that's "shutting Baker down" then so be it.

Like I said, 2nd half - 14 pts. 17 if you count OT.

They adjusted, or you choked, take your pick.

Georgia scored 54 on you, only 23 against Alabama.

Oklahoma just isn't as good as Oklahoma fans seem to think they are.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bolded the part that matters.

Fair enough. Does not mean that Oklahoma would not have been a better match up. A lot of these games are about mach ups after all.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. Does not mean that Oklahoma would not have been a better match up. A lot of these games are about mach ups after all.

I agree, it was good defenses that gave Alabama problems this year, and Oklahoma lacked that. Hurts could tear a poor D apart, especially one that had trouble stopping the run. It took good defenses to shut him down.

Meanwhile, Alabama's secondary is better than you guys seem to think. Oklahoma fans seem to think 2013 is the norm and it's not. And no offense, but Mayfield is not Watson or even close to that level.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it was good defenses that gave Alabama problems this year, and Oklahoma lacked that. Hurts could tear a poor D apart, especially one that had trouble stopping the run. It took good defenses to shut him down.

I freely admit that Oklahoma did not have a decent defense. This is not in dispute.

Meanwhile, Alabama's secondary is better than you guys seem to think

Not saying their pass defense was bad but, Oklahoma had a good run game too. If I had to guess Oklahoma ran the ball better on Georgia than Alabama did. A more balanced attack would have opened up the pass game. From watcing the game all Georgia had was a good run game and a short passing game, easier for Alabama to shut down.

Oklahoma fans seem to think 2013 is the norm and it's not.

I never mentioned the Sugar Bowl in 2013. Funny how the SEC folks seem to think all the Big 12 in general and Oklahoma in particular does is pass.

but Mayfield is not Watson or even close to that level.

That is a matter of opinion. Either way, apples and oranges.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I freely admit that Oklahoma did not have a decent defense. This is not in dispute.

Not saying their pass defense was bad but, Oklahoma had a good run game too. If I had to guess Oklahoma ran the ball better on Georgia than Alabama did. A more balanced attack would have opened up the pass game. From watcing the game all Georgia had was a good run game and a short passing game, easier for Alabama to shut down.

I never mentioned the Sugar Bowl in 2013. Funny how the SEC folks seem to think all the Big 12 in general and Oklahoma in particular does is pass.

By the time the playoffs arrived, Alabama's linebackers were healthy again and we weren't so weak on the run. It was towards the end of the regular season that we were hurting badly there. We got a few guys back for Auburn but they clearly weren't 100%.

And it's not that I think all Oklahoma does is pass, it's just that it's what I hear from your fans in what they expect Oklahoma would do to Alabama. Go back and read comments from other fans and that's what they talk about.

That is a matter of opinion. Either way, apples and oranges.

Sorry but Watson was on another level.