• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who here wants to see a Toronto/Houston finals???

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With how global the game has become, I don’t know how important specific tv markets are to ratings anyway. It’s all about matchups.

Matchups & marquee players & the latter is what will make having the Raptors in the Finals problematic for TV ratings. Having said that personally I have no issue with them being there & I wish for the best two teams to be in Finals & sure how about perhaps seeing two different teams (or at least one) for the first time in ages.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be a good series. Still think the Warriors come through the West though.

Darth Dawkins

kffl trev
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but won’t they all be watching that weird Canadian version of ESPN? TSN or something?

Plus everything I’m looking at still has Chicago 3rd.

Just checked again (its been years since this happened), Toronto Metro population is now larger than Chicago Metro population. The Greater Toronto pop is about 6.5 mill, The Chicagoland pop is about 11.5 million but it's also four times the geographical size. If you extend the GTA out to similar zones (the golden Horseshoe) it's about even. The difference is the GH is rapidly growing while Chicagoland is shrinking dramatically. Sorry for the boring story.

Toronto vs Chicago: Is Toronto really bigger than Chicago? Sort of

Keep in mind this story is from five years ago. The GTA has probably grown by a million since then.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me in. It would be a TV ratings nightmare, but I'm not one to ever give a shit about TV ratings.

In fact, I'll take it a step further and say that those who actually care about TV ratings are the ones that are watering our league down...
If Golden State loses in any round, then I'll be happy.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all do except Warriors fans
It's weird how the Warriors have turned into the Yankees/Patriots/Blue Devils of the NBA. The team you root against if you aren't a fan. These are the guys whose best player was Corey Maggette once. Also David Lee. Also Monta Ellis. Also Donyell Marshall. Ugh.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think as a Toronto fan, you should be ecstatic winning the East. That should be their NBA championship.

It'd be nice to see them win that. Their fan base is really strong.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird how the Warriors have turned into the Yankees/Patriots/Blue Devils of the NBA. The team you root against if you aren't a fan. These are the guys whose best player was Corey Maggette once. Also David Lee. Also Monta Ellis. Also Donyell Marshall. Ugh.

If you looked up the word "collusion" in the dictionary and are a fan of that sort of thing, then yes, Golden State is in fact your team.

You say that people that aren't fans root against Golden State. Well basketball is in fact my favorite sport to follow, yet I still root against them. Go figure.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say that people that aren't fans root against Golden State. Well basketball is in fact my favorite sport to follow, yet I still root against them. Go figure.

Think you totally misunderstood his post. I think what he was trying to say is that they have now become like the Yankees, Patriots, and Duke CBB team where you root against them once you're not a fan of them which is how it is for those other 3 teams from the other spots that he mentioned. I'm pretty certain that his post had nothing to with people who are not basketball fans.

Long story short, @msgkings322 pretty much is saying that only Warriors fans are rooting for them. Fans of the other 29 teams are rooting against them which is dead on

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you looked up the word "collusion" in the dictionary and are a fan of that sort of thing, then yes, Golden State is in fact your team.

Man are you dumb, I meant the team you root against if you are not a fan OF THEM. Like the Yankees or Patriots, you either love em or hate em. And what the hell does 'collusion' mean here?

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man are you dumb, I meant the team you root against if you are not a fan OF THEM. Like the Yankees or Patriots, you either love em or hate em. And what the hell does 'collusion' mean here?

dumb = don't root for msgkings' team. Got it.

For the record, I don't hate the Yankees. Try speaking for yourself once in awhile. It makes you look less egotistical.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dumb = don't root for msgkings' team. Got it.

For the record, I don't hate the Yankees. Try speaking for yourself once in awhile. It makes you look less egotistical.

Dude that is some next level dumb right there. Do you even English?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think you totally misunderstood his post. I think what he was trying to say is that they have now become like the Yankees, Patriots, and Duke CBB team where you root against them once you're not a fan of them which is how it is for those other 3 teams from the other spots that he mentioned. I'm pretty certain that his post had nothing to with people who are not basketball fans.

Long story short, @msgkings322 pretty much is saying that only Warriors fans are rooting for them. Fans of the other 29 teams are rooting against them which is dead on

@HurricaneDij39 misunderstanding things?

Shocker.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is interesting.

Had they not gotten KD, I think most NBA fans would still like them, or at least be okay with them winning. But, they kind of became the Yankees when they signed KD. Franchise history prior to 2015 is almost completely irrelevant. Fans of other teams want to see the Warriors lose because it makes them feel like their team has a chance.

As for me? I know my Wizards aren't winning a ring this year, so I am rooting for the Dubs to get healthy and the Rockets to advance/not choke so we can see an epic West Finals.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checked again (its been years since this happened), Toronto Metro population is now larger than Chicago Metro population. The Greater Toronto pop is about 6.5 mill, The Chicagoland pop is about 11.5 million but it's also four times the geographical size. If you extend the GTA out to similar zones (the golden Horseshoe) it's about even. The difference is the GH is rapidly growing while Chicagoland is shrinking dramatically. Sorry for the boring story.

Toronto vs Chicago: Is Toronto really bigger than Chicago? Sort of

Keep in mind this story is from five years ago. The GTA has probably grown by a million since then.
Toronto is not only bigger than Chicago by pretty much every metric now but is also growing faster as a region.

The only problem here for the NBA is even if the Raptors made the Finals I don't think you'd see ratings much higher than a typical Leafs Saturday night broadcast nationally. The Raptors are huge in Toronto. Young people are, things I never thought I'd say, turning to basketball more than hockey these days, for a shit ton of reasons (more diverse population, prohibitive cost of hockey, Raptors doing well, spiking maple syrup with HGH, etc.) and that trend probably isn’t going to slow down anytime soon.

But that’s in Toronto/GTA. Outside of it, this is very much hockey land with a sprinkling of baseball (the Jays would probably draw as many Canadian viewers for the World Series as the American channels would). The TV ratings would probably still be pretty strong in the States solely because NBA has become such a behemoth of a brand there but here I would be surprised if it got anywhere near those heights.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what the hell does 'collusion' mean here?

Collusion, per dictionary.com - "An understanding between two or more individuals to gain something or defraud another of his or her rights."

Hope that covered it (or at least it should have)...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collusion, per dictionary.com - "An understanding between two or more individuals to gain something or defraud another of his or her rights."

Hope that covered it (or at least it should have)...
Why did you use that word in a post about basketball?