• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who had the easiest Title run during the BCS?

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. He does that a lot. I remember the same decision vs TExas in NC game (that led to Texas beign down 1 score late in the 4th) and how can anyone forget the LSU game prior to the NC game? Some reason Saban loves the long FG, which seems to be completely against everything else he does.

3 or 4 single plays over 7 years I would consider rare, but I see how you can see it the opposite way.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many conferences didn't have title games, a good bit of the time, during the BCS era? But that's ok? You can word it any way you want but the two best teams played in 2011 and it wasn't an easy path! They still had to win that game. At the time LSU was being called maybe one of the best teams of all time. It showed the truth!!! 21-0 :yahoo:

Bama only got there because of how well LSU played all season. They did well but they only had to get up for 2 games all year.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Splitting hairs because your assertion about Auburn is completely incorrect. The coaches make ALL the difference no matter the people on the roster from the previous year. Auburn of 2013, FSU of 2010(went 7-6 3 of the previous 4years before Jimbo took over and got 10 wins), tOSU of 2012 vs 2011, and so on. Too many examples to give that teams are not the same or even remotely the same with a complete coaching staff change. I will split those hairs every day of the week and twice on Sunday because the evidence corroborates my point.

And of those two plays. Only 1 was luck the catch against UGA. The kick return was not luck. Just piss poor management and decision by Saban which is rare. He should have had a SAFE FG package out there in case of a short kick(faster people on the edges). Especially considering the guy who kicked it is NOT the normal kicker.

Its completely correct.

The main assertion about Auburn here is that they were one of the weaker title game participants in the BCS era. Having > 60% of the same players from a 3 - 9 team a year prior, plays into that and describes that team to some extent whether you want to admit it or not.

I'll ask again. How many times has a 3 - 9 team gone to the championship game the very next year? There is a reason it hasn't happened before.

Just piss poor management and decision by Saban which is rare.

They were lucky that Saban had a rare lapse in judgement.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your AD doesn't ND has turned down offers from Auburn for a home and home multiple times so I guess he doesn't feel we are worthy enough to kick your ass.

Auburn would honestly just be a waste of time for Notre Dame, sorry, but it's true.

We have no time for Alabama's little sister.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama only got there because of how well LSU played all season. They did well but they only had to get up for 2 games all year.

That did help. However,the problem with your statement is always acting like Ole Miss or Tennessee or Arkansas or Penn St. or any other team's, that have been down lately, can't beat an Alabama (were all on 2011 schedule) when it's these type teams that upset the top teams all the time to end their hopes. As Gene Stalling's use to say " You don't think a team is very good or counts? Try losing to them!"

Almost all teams only play 2 to 4 teams that on paper could beat them. Oregon loses to Arizona? Texas loses to Ole Miss? Stanford loses to Utah? Baylor crushes Oklahoma? That's just a few from last year. This list could go on and on and on. How many teams were undefeated last year with a few weeks remaining? How many ended up that way?

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its completely correct.

The main assertion about Auburn here is that they were one of the weaker title game participants in the BCS era. Having > 60% of the same players from a 3 - 9 team a year prior, plays into that and describes that team to some extent whether you want to admit it or not.

I'll ask again. How many times has a 3 - 9 team gone to the championship game the very next year? There is a reason it hasn't happened before.

They were lucky that Saban had a rare lapse in judgement.

Still missing my point about how they were a completely different team. Not going to argue about it because EVERY team is different each year. They have different attitudes and mentalities among the upper and lower classmen.

What you do not get is that it matters not what they did the previous year or that what you are describing may not have happened before. They won the games to get into the NCG plain and simple. And that means beating the then undisputed #1 team in the country by ramming the ball down their throat.

Not going to continue to go in circles when you are not comprehending what I am saying. I'm out man.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with last years FSU. That being said winning a championship with 2 losses doesnt set the bar very high either so LSU has to be in the talks somewhere.
^^^^^^^
This takes guts. And quite frankly without roughing too many feathers, this was truly a down year for the SEC. Kudos for them for winning the NC that year, BUT they lost to two I believe 8-5 teams in their league.

I personally do not believe any team should be in a NC game under those circumstances. No two loss teams. Period. And I don't care what "league" you're from.

Back in the day (before the BCS), over two decades ago, BYU won the NC. And let me be perfectly clear, I did NOT like

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^^
This takes guts. And quite frankly without roughing too many feathers, this was truly a down year for the SEC. Kudos for them for winning the NC that year, BUT they lost to two I believe 8-5 teams in their league.

I personally do not believe any team should be in a NC game under those circumstances. No two loss teams. Period. And I don't care what "league" you're from.

Back in the day (before the BCS), over two decades ago, BYU won the NC. And let me be perfectly clear, I did NOT like
-------
For some reason, I got "cut off". As I was saying I did not like BYU but I respected their NC because they were the "last man standing" Everybody and their dog that year had stupid or unexplained losses. And while BYU may have not been from a quality conference or had many quality wins, THEY RAN THE TABLE. And in this day and age, no one seems to want to take this into account.

What it comes down to (for LSU) is that they lost to not one but two teams in their conference that were 8-5 and as such I don't think they had any business in the NCG.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still missing my point about how they were a completely different team. Not going to argue about it because EVERY team is different each year. They have different attitudes and mentalities among the upper and lower classmen.

What you do not get is that it matters not what they did the previous year or that what you are describing may not have happened before. They won the games to get into the NCG plain and simple. And that means beating the then undisputed #1 team in the country by ramming the ball down their throat.

Not going to continue to go in circles when you are not comprehending what I am saying. I'm out man.

They were a different team. Just Not completely different because they had a lot of the same players.

That is simple logic.

You can't say that them going 3 - 9 the previous year does not play a factor in describing that team.

Remember the premise that you agreed with? Playing Auburn in the title game factors into that premise.

They won the games to get into the title game in very unconventional fashion. You tack on the fact that they were 3 - 9 the year before and it all goes into how good or bad that team was compared to other title making teams.

Bottom line. FSU had the easiest path to win a title last year. Playing Auburn in the title game factored into that easiest path moniker. Describing Auburn as a team that was 3 - 9 the previous year is not a false statement and does factor into why they are not considered one the better teams to play in a title game whether you like it or not. Its fact.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^^^

I don't recall completely but I think everyone had two losses that year.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To FSU Manager:

How would you rank Auburn last year in terms of BCS title game making teams based on everything that there is to know about that team and the results of their wins and losses and how they achieved those wins and losses? Keep in mind you can't just use their good wins. You have to factor in everything.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't think that a previous 7 - 5 type of year or even a .500 type of year would be worth mentioning but a 3 - 9 year where not a single win was against a BCS school is relevant regardless of a new coaching staff coming in. Especially when we are talking about a team that is playing in the national championship game.

A team full of players that was capable of that type of lackluster performance just a year prior cant be equally compared to other title game making teams.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were a different team. Just Not completely different because they had a lot of the same players.

That is simple logic.

You can't say that them going 3 - 9 the previous year does not play a factor in describing that team.

Remember the premise that you agreed with? Playing Auburn in the title game factors into that premise.

They won the games to get into the title game in very unconventional fashion. You tack on the fact that they were 3 - 9 the year before and it all goes into how good or bad that team was compared to other title making teams.

Bottom line. FSU had the easiest path to win a title last year. Playing Auburn in the title game factored into that easiest path moniker. Describing Auburn as a team that was 3 - 9 the previous year is not a false statement and does factor into why they are not considered one the better teams to play in a title game whether you like it or not. Its fact.

No fact, but your opinion which is fine. And you still are not understanding how and WHY they were a completely different team. No matter the players on said team that were thee previously. I am going to have to assume you never played any organized sports at any level.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To FSU Manager:

How would you rank Auburn last year in terms of BCS title game making teams based on everything that there is to know about that team and the results of their wins and losses and how they achieved those wins and losses? Keep in mind you can't just use their good wins. You have to factor in everything.

At the beginning of the year this year the same as every other FBS team out there. Best example I can give for you to understand this is tOSU the year BEFORE meyer showed up. Would you have thought they would go undefeated the 1st season under Meyer? Hell no. They were a completely different team with Meyer as their coach as compared to when Fickell was. Correct? Again going in circles and tired. I'm out.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No fact, but your opinion which is fine. And you still are not understanding how and WHY they were a completely different team. No matter the players on said team that were thee previously. I am going to have to assume you never played any organized sports at any level.

You can't be a "Completely" different team when you have the same players.

Its impossible.

I have played organized sports at some of the highest level.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the beginning of the year this year the same as every other FBS team out there. Best example I can give for you to understand this is tOSU the year BEFORE meyer showed up. Would you have thought they would go undefeated the 1st season under Meyer? Hell no. They were a completely different team with Meyer as their coach as compared to when Fickell was. Correct? Again going in circles and tired. I'm out.

They were different and better but not "Completely" different and certainly but not the best. That's the point you are not grasping.

You seem to not understand the word "completely"

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If an addict has become sober are they completely different or do they still have some issues inside that will always be there.

You are wrong in this argument.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 2011 Ohio State was pretty much the same as 2012 Ohio State so then if OSU was eligible should not have been playing for the BCS title because 2011 Alabama was the National Champions and were pretty much the same team as the 2012 one?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That did help. However,the problem with your statement is always acting like Ole Miss or Tennessee or Arkansas or Penn St. or any other team's, that have been down lately, can't beat an Alabama (were all on 2011 schedule) when it's these type teams that upset the top teams all the time to end their hopes. ...
Last lost to Ole Miss in 2003, Saban was not the HC. La-Monroe beat Bama in 2007, something that Ole Miss, Tenn. and Ark were unable to do.
Last lost to Tennessee in 2006, Saban was not the HC.
Last lost to Arkansas in 2006, Saban was not the HC.
These are hardly competitive programs with Saban.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last lost to Ole Miss in 2003, Saban was not the HC. La-Monroe beat Bama in 2007, something that Ole Miss, Tenn. and Ark were unable to do.
Last lost to Tennessee in 2006, Saban was not the HC.
Last lost to Arkansas in 2006, Saban was not the HC.
These are hardly competitive programs with Saban.

Yea and Auburn was 3-8 in 2012 and made it to the National Championship game in 2013! What's your point?

You really just don't get it, do you? Of course none of these type teams win often but they can win. That was my point. Texas last lost to Ole Miss in 2013! Most every top team lost to an unexpected team in 2013 except FSU and Auburn. :noidea: READ! READ! READ! More importantly comprehend! I must be confusing you with another Texas poster because I use to think you were sharper than this! :doh: