• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Whigh two players would you use as your keepers?

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty, I could keep 2 bats, draft Kershaw and I could draft Harvey if I really wanted in the 3rd.

Kershaw, Harvey and what bats? The thought of Harvey and Kershaw with two big bats blows my mind.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carlos Correa is my one locked in keeper. Now I'm leaning toward Seager as my keeper, as he could be used as a huge trade piece, as SS is such a weak spot offensively -- plus whoever traded for him would get three years with him.
The three guys in front of me in the draft already announced their picks (Harper, Goldschmidt, Trout) so Kershaw will be my pick.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kershaw, Harvey and what bats? The thought of Harvey and Kershaw with two big bats blows my mind.

Chef, i am debating between Duane Underwood and Erick Fedde

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chef, i am debating between Duane Underwood and Erick Fedde

Well...I think I like Fedde better than Underwood, but they're both crapshoots at this point. The Nats do odd things with their young pitchers and I don't know what to make of Underwood. Honestly, I'd look hard at Jepsen or maybe Joe Smith. Jepsen might be in a really sweet position and he's already looking good for holds. Still some starters with potental out there. You could use some pitching depth still, yes?

And sorry @TrustMeIamRight , don't mean to hijack your thread. We just go off on tangents every once in awhile.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...I think I like Fedde better than Underwood, but they're both crapshoots at this point. The Nats do odd things with their young pitchers and I don't know what to make of Underwood. Honestly, I'd look hard at Jepsen or maybe Joe Smith. Jepsen might be in a really sweet position and he's already looking good for holds. Still some starters with potental out there. You could use some pitching depth still, yes?

And sorry @TrustMeIamRight , don't mean to hijack your thread. We just go off on tangents every once in awhile.

I meant to hijack... i am a pirate after all...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do plan on another SP, but not a BP... Went with Fedde, but i dislike my pick already...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No problem. I don't mind at all. I'm just trying to convince myself what the right move is. I appreciate all the responses thus far.
I do think I'm going to go with Seager though as he'd cost me the minimum draft pick and has huge upside.
If nothing else. I can use him as trade bait, as SS that can produce are in high demand. With 2nd base being deep, the value at MI isn't as great.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem. I don't mind at all. I'm just trying to convince myself what the right move is. I appreciate all the responses thus far.
I do think I'm going to go with Seager though as he'd cost me the minimum draft pick and has huge upside.
If nothing else. I can use him as trade bait, as SS that can produce are in high demand. With 2nd base being deep, the value at MI isn't as great.

Depending upon whom you have at 2nd, if you have stash room, Devon Travis is a nice crapshoot with some HR and avg. potential. He just won't be around for the first month or so. I'm pretty sure Milk disagrees with me on this, so be prepared. ;)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending upon whom you have at 2nd, if you have stash room, Devon Travis is a nice crapshoot with some HR and avg. potential. He just won't be around for the first month or so. I'm pretty sure Milk disagrees with me on this, so be prepared. ;)

only disagree because what is Travis' role?? Right now he is hurt, and Goins is considered the starter... I feel like Goins and travis will be fighting for that spot until one player owns it or until Troy tulowitzki gets hurt... whichever one happens first... But that is very unreliable...

If I am going to wait on travis, I would rather wait longer and get one of these 3 players. Brett lawrie, Brad miller, or Jonathan Schoop...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only disagree because what is Travis' role?? Right now he is hurt, and Goins is considered the starter... I feel like Goins and travis will be fighting for that spot until one player owns it or until Troy tulowitzki gets hurt... whichever one happens first... But that is very unreliable...

If I am going to wait on travis, I would rather wait longer and get one of these 3 players. Brett lawrie, Brad miller, or Jonathan Schoop...
Is Lawrie being used at 2B? He was 3B in Toronto. He will be a guy I will look at for sure. He had flashes of the potential so many talked about when he was coming up. Just has completely put it together.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Lawrie being used at 2B? He was 3B in Toronto. He will be a guy I will look at for sure. He had flashes of the potential so many talked about when he was coming up. Just has completely put it together.

He right now is the Whitesox starting second base...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I know Devon Travis well. He was in the Tigers farm system until we traded him for Anthony Gose.
Was surprised to see the power he had last year. He has flew up the minors since hitting .350 his first full season in the minors after being drafted.
I wouldn't bank on the power he showed last year, but he is a guy who will give you solid numbers. .

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lawrie might finally come around and the White sox are looking like a good hitting lineup. I like Schoop for the HR potential, and again, a good (at home possibly awesome) hitting lineup. Miller's gotta prove it to me. Good eligibilty, tho.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually now leaning with the rest of the gang and keeping the 2 SS or Franco instead of Seager.... Since we are all in agreement that Kershaw is the clear pick if available, I would be drafting at least 2 pitchers in the first 6 rounds anyway... and i don't mind my second pitcher to be a step below Harvey...

who cares about the future, this is not a future keeper league, just worry about draft value, and it seems like Seager, Franco and Harvey all have similar ADP. in a redraft... But Seager and Franco are 6 rounds better value than harvey

Yes, but Harvey is a third round talent. Seager and Franco are somewhere between 6-8. If you do a simple subtraction problem, it looks like Seager and Franco make better targets, but the reality is that there is a greater talent gap between round 3-6 than there is between 6-13.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but Harvey is a third round talent. Seager and Franco are somewhere between 6-8. If you do a simple subtraction problem, it looks like Seager and Franco make better targets, but the reality is that there is a greater talent gap between round 3-6 than there is between 6-13.

Harvey has 2-5(ADP 32 on fantrax) round value Seager as 3-6 (ADP 52 on Fantrax)round value... this is a points league, so small uptick on pitcher value... although, i don't think the value advantage for pitchers is that much higher than offensive in the first few rounds... the biggest difference though, is that the 2-6 round pitchers are all very similar... for example is Harvey that much of an upgrade over noah sindergaard who also has an ADP of 50 or Carlos Carrasco who has ADP of 53??

If you can guarantee Kershaw, then shouldn't any pitcher in 3-5 round suffice?? and be of similar value??

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvey has 2-5(ADP 32 on fantrax) round value Seager as 3-6 (ADP 52 on Fantrax)round value... this is a points league, so small uptick on pitcher value... although, i don't think the value advantage for pitchers is that much higher than offensive in the first few rounds... the biggest difference though, is that the 2-6 round pitchers are all very similar... for example is Harvey that much of an upgrade over noah sindergaard who also has an ADP of 50 or Carlos Carrasco who has ADP of 53??

If you can guarantee Kershaw, then shouldn't any pitcher in 3-5 round suffice?? and be of similar value??

Kershaw is locked in. They already announced the 1st 3 picks, barring an injury, it will be Kershaw I take at #4.

I did get an interesting trade offer. Outside of SS, which has the shallowest pool of players, OF is the position toughest to fill, as you have to start 5 of them.

One team has JD Martinez and really no one else to use as a keeper (his other choice is Jose Abreu but he'd lose his 2nd round pick)

He offered me JD Martinez for Harvey and Seager. I'm going to lose one or the other on draft day. Martinez would really only be a keeper for one year as I would lose either my 5th or 6th round pick.

Or do I stick with Seager and hope he picks up where he left off last year.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kershaw is locked in. They already announced the 1st 3 picks, barring an injury, it will be Kershaw I take at #4.

I did get an interesting trade offer. Outside of SS, which has the shallowest pool of players, OF is the position toughest to fill, as you have to start 5 of them.

One team has JD Martinez and really no one else to use as a keeper (his other choice is Jose Abreu but he'd lose his 2nd round pick)

He offered me JD Martinez for Harvey and Seager. I'm going to lose one or the other on draft day. Martinez would really only be a keeper for one year as I would lose either my 5th or 6th round pick.

Or do I stick with Seager and hope he picks up where he left off last year.

you need much better than JD Martinez... OF is interesting, it is top heavy, but it is also the deepest position...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Once you get by the Kershaw, the rest of the elite group are clustered together and the guy who finishes with the most points is a crap shoot. Kershaw has a 3 year average of 540 points a season. The 2nd thru 20th ranked pitchers are projected to score between 440 and 340. Wins are huge, so you want pitchers on a good teams. Complete games and shutouts are bonus points so those help a ton.

It honestly turns into a crap shoot though on who finishes with more. Kluber had comparable numbers to many elite pitchers last year, but he hardly won any games, so it killed his value.

Arrieta had a monster season and even with that monster season, he finished with slightly less points than Kershaw, who struggled out of the gate.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you need much better than JD Martinez... OF is interesting, it is top heavy, but it is also the deepest position...

Yeah -- I figured I would throw it out there. I'm nervous about getting burned with 2 2nd year players as my keepers, as sophomore slumps are very common.