• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which Team Falls On Their Face In 2017

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. That is why i said, it was possible for UM to struggle at times. In college football though -- it is all about talent. UM has done a good job collecting it the last two years and they should be able to overcome inexperience with talent.

It also will help that UM rotated players so much last year, so while guys weren't starters -- they had a chance to get on the field and know what to expect.
I think they'll be able to out-talent most of the teams on the schedule, but those 4 big ones - Florida, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Ohio State - are far from slam dunks. That's why I'm saying I wouldn't expect to win any of those if I'm a michigan fan, not with a mediocre QB at this point. If you were starting Peters it might make a difference, as I think he has a MUCH higher ceiling than Speight, but it's not looking like he's going to be able to beat him out yet.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they'll be able to out-talent most of the teams on the schedule, but those 4 big ones - Florida, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Ohio State - are far from slam dunks. That's why I'm saying I wouldn't expect to win any of those if I'm a michigan fan, not with a mediocre QB at this point. If you were starting Peters it might make a difference, as I think he has a MUCH higher ceiling than Speight, but it's not looking like he's going to be able to beat him out yet.

Vegas has UM as an 7.5 to 8 point favorite in the game against Florida. As far as PSU and Wisconsin -- we will see. The only game out of the Big 4 I think UM is in trouble is OSU, but even then, it will only be if OSU finds a passing game. I think the Wisconsin and PSU game will be tough, but only because it is on the road.

With Speight -- I'm taking a wait and see approach. The monumental jump he had from year 1 with Harbaugh, if he has another jump like that. I think he will be a very good QB for UM. It is all about consistency and getting rid of the bad mistakes. If he is beat out by Peters -- even better for UM. I'm just happy UM has choices now. When Harbaugh got here -- they had none. Shame Morris was the only option and that would have been an absolute disaster.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas has UM as an 7.5 to 8 point favorite in the game against Florida. As far as PSU and Wisconsin -- we will see. The only game out of the Big 4 I think UM is in trouble is OSU, but even then, it will only be if OSU finds a passing game. I think the Wisconsin and PSU game will be tough, but only because it is on the road.

With Speight -- I'm taking a wait and see approach. The monumental jump he had from year 1 with Harbaugh, if he has another jump like that. I think he will be a very good QB for UM. It is all about consistency and getting rid of the bad mistakes. If he is beat out by Peters -- even better for UM. I'm just happy UM has choices now. When Harbaugh got here -- they had none. Shame Morris was the only option and that would have been an absolute disaster.
That Florida line is a huge surprise, unless I'm underestimating their personnel losses. They looked great against Iowa.

You're going to need to hope for a lot more than a flat passing game against OSU. I don't see how it can be worse than it was this last year, and even with all of your experience we still won. Kevin Wilson has made a career on creating explosive passing games at each stop so I'm not even slightly concerned. That was a HUGE upgrade over Tim Beck. Besides, with not only JT as a running threat and our OL largely intact, you're going to need to worry about our running game quit a bit. Weber looked pedestrian at times last year, but it's amazing what a potent passing game can do for your rushing game. I wouldn't plan on our attack looking anything like it did last year.

PSU will be favored over you unless they suffer some catastrophic injuries or somehow fall flat on their face. They're the #2 team in the conference going into the year. Playing at PSU will only make it worse, especially because I'd bet it's a night game.

Wisconsin should be a slugfest, but again, you never know with games at Madison, also likely at night. It's hard to hate on Wiscy, they just keep chugging along, winning every year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Florida line is a huge surprise, unless I'm underestimating their personnel losses. They looked great against Iowa.

You're going to need to hope for a lot more than a flat passing game against OSU. I don't see how it can be worse than it was this last year, and even with all of your experience we still won. Kevin Wilson has made a career on creating explosive passing games at each stop so I'm not even slightly concerned. That was a HUGE upgrade over Tim Beck. Besides, with not only JT as a running threat and our OL largely intact, you're going to need to worry about our running game quit a bit. Weber looked pedestrian at times last year, but it's amazing what a potent passing game can do for your rushing game. I wouldn't plan on our attack looking anything like it did last year.

PSU will be favored over you unless they suffer some catastrophic injuries or somehow fall flat on their face. They're the #2 team in the conference going into the year. Playing at PSU will only make it worse, especially because I'd bet it's a night game.

Wisconsin should be a slugfest, but again, you never know with games at Madison, also likely at night. It's hard to hate on Wiscy, they just keep chugging along, winning every year.

OSU only scored 3 points on offense last year in regulation against UM (I think -- could be more, but I only remember 3). With Curtis Samuel gone -- I think OSU is going to have a rough time scoring against quality defenses. Their WR's get no separation and they didn't have a deep threat. Weber is a solid back, but I'd wager he will be exactly what I said he'd be. He will get you the tough yards, but he isn't an explosive back -- the type which makes OSU almost impossible to stop.

I'm interested to see a few of the guy OSU brought in on the defensive side of the ball. Okudah, Wade and Browning could all be starters for OSU. They are 3 guys I was most impressed with watching many HS games this past year.

I will be interested to watch how OSU's offense looks next year. I have no doubt OSU can beat up teams who don't play defense. I'd like to see how they will fare against the quality defenses. If OSU finds a deep threat and a WR to get separation on routes. UM is in serious trouble. If they are the same as last year, minus Samuel -- I think it will be a really good game again.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU only scored 3 points on offense last year in regulation against UM (I think -- could be more, but I only remember 3). With Curtis Samuel gone -- I think OSU is going to have a rough time scoring against quality defenses. Their WR's get no separation and they didn't have a deep threat. Weber is a solid back, but I'd wager he will be exactly what I said he'd be. He will get you the tough yards, but he isn't an explosive back -- the type which makes OSU almost impossible to stop.

I'm interested to see a few of the guy OSU brought in on the defensive side of the ball. Okudah, Wade and Browning could all be starters for OSU. They are 3 guys I was most impressed with watching many HS games this past year.

I will be interested to watch how OSU's offense looks next year. I have no doubt OSU can beat up teams who don't play defense. I'd like to see how they will fare against the quality defenses. If OSU finds a deep threat and a WR to get separation on routes. UM is in serious trouble. If they are the same as last year, minus Samuel -- I think it will be a really good game again.
Again, if you're expecting OSU to be the same passing the ball as last year, you're going to be very unpleasantly surprised. Several folks around the team said Bin Victor should've been starting all year but Beck didn't like to start freshmen. He'll be a terror this year. Also, Samuel is gone, but just wait til you have to deal with Demario McCall. He doesn't lose any explosiveness, that's for sure. We have plenty of firepower, but when your OC doesn't know how to use it, then you see what happened last year. As I've said, Wilson is a completely different animal altogether. I'm more excited about our WRs this year than I have been since 2014. Again, you're going to be upset if you're expecting a repeat of 2016.

Okudah, from what I'm hearing, is the most ready to step in and start among the crew, and has even been called a true generational talent. Wade will play, as will Browning, who could also find a way to a starting spot. The defense is going to be loaded, even with the personnel losses in the secondary. Meyer has yet to have back-to-back years with the same top 2 CBs and we're still one of the top pass defenses in the nation, which is shocking considering how many games we've blown people out. There's plenty of talent to go around in the secondary, that's for sure.

Samuel was a big hit, but we have many young players who can take his spot effectively. Plugging in Kevin Wilson cannot possibly be understated. He's more accomplished than Tom Herman ever was, and we saw how our offense looked under him. With michigan's inexperienced secondary, I have to imagine he will try and attack them. Another name to not overlook is Marcus Baugh. He's a freakish athlete who hasn't bloomed yet because of, yet again, Tim Beck. Wilson gets his TEs involved though, so he will create mismatches at 6'5", 255.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you need to consider Texas A&M

They don't have a QB, lose nearly all starters on the OL, lose most of the playmakers on the DL for a unit that wasn't that great to begin with.

Now, they weren't flying high.......but the potential for them to fall to the gutter is there if not for the ridiculously easy front loaded schedule they have, kind of like what Baylor used to do.

I'm just gonna be safe with them and assume they'll hop off to another 5-0, 6-0 start before their late season collapse

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, if you're expecting OSU to be the same passing the ball as last year, you're going to be very unpleasantly surprised. Several folks around the team said Bin Victor should've been starting all year but Beck didn't like to start freshmen. He'll be a terror this year. Also, Samuel is gone, but just wait til you have to deal with Demario McCall. He doesn't lose any explosiveness, that's for sure. We have plenty of firepower, but when your OC doesn't know how to use it, then you see what happened last year. As I've said, Wilson is a completely different animal altogether. I'm more excited about our WRs this year than I have been since 2014. Again, you're going to be upset if you're expecting a repeat of 2016.

Okudah, from what I'm hearing, is the most ready to step in and start among the crew, and has even been called a true generational talent. Wade will play, as will Browning, who could also find a way to a starting spot. The defense is going to be loaded, even with the personnel losses in the secondary. Meyer has yet to have back-to-back years with the same top 2 CBs and we're still one of the top pass defenses in the nation, which is shocking considering how many games we've blown people out. There's plenty of talent to go around in the secondary, that's for sure.

Samuel was a big hit, but we have many young players who can take his spot effectively. Plugging in Kevin Wilson cannot possibly be understated. He's more accomplished than Tom Herman ever was, and we saw how our offense looked under him. With michigan's inexperienced secondary, I have to imagine he will try and attack them. Another name to not overlook is Marcus Baugh. He's a freakish athlete who hasn't bloomed yet because of, yet again, Tim Beck. Wilson gets his TEs involved though, so he will create mismatches at 6'5", 255.

With your offense - not to take away from Tom Herman. It was the freakish talent you had at skill positions that made OSU so good. You had Zeke, who could take the ball to the house at any time. You had Devin Smith, who averaged like 30 yards a catch to take the top off the defense. And you had Michael Thomas, who could run the whole route tree and catch anything thrown his way.

Last year -- your WR's just didn't get any separation and you didn't have anyone to throw the deep ball too. That is why Barrett's numbers have went backwards. He isn't a different QB -- he just doesn't have the talent around like he did in year one.

The whole offense seemed to be Curtis Samuel.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it won't be my Miners. You can't fall flat on your face when you are already laying on the ground.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With your offense - not to take away from Tom Herman. It was the freakish talent you had at skill positions that made OSU so good. You had Zeke, who could take the ball to the house at any time. You had Devin Smith, who averaged like 30 yards a catch to take the top off the defense. And you had Michael Thomas, who could run the whole route tree and catch anything thrown his way.

Last year -- your WR's just didn't get any separation and you didn't have anyone to throw the deep ball too. That is why Barrett's numbers have went backwards. He isn't a different QB -- he just doesn't have the talent around like he did in year one.

The whole offense seemed to be Curtis Samuel.
Just wait. If you think Meyer somehow just forgot how to recruit talented WRs and skill position guys, then I guess you'll just have to think that until The Game gets here and it's a repeat of 2015.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missouri still has a school?

Yes.

th

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait. If you think Meyer somehow just forgot how to recruit talented WRs and skill position guys, then I guess you'll just have to think that until The Game gets here and it's a repeat of 2015.

I have no doubt Meyer can recruit. Only Saban is better at it.

All I am saying is -- OSU is going to need their skill position guys to take a giant leap this year. OSU will overwhelm 99% of CFB on talent alone. It is the teams who can match talent that gave OSU problems. When was the last time OSU finished a season by scoring 3 points and 0 points in regulation in their last two games?

IMO, the biggest issue was at WR. Outside of Curtis Samuel -- no one could get separation against CB's who could match their athleticism.

The scary part as a UM fan is -- I think OSU's defense could be one of their better defenses and they have had some really good defenses. Shaun Wade and Jeffrey Okudah are going to be a heck of set of CB's.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt Meyer can recruit. Only Saban is better at it.

All I am saying is -- OSU is going to need their skill position guys to take a giant leap this year. OSU will overwhelm 99% of CFB on talent alone. It is the teams who can match talent that gave OSU problems. When was the last time OSU finished a season by scoring 3 points and 0 points in regulation in their last two games?

IMO, the biggest issue was at WR. Outside of Curtis Samuel -- no one could get separation against CB's who could match their athleticism.

The scary part as a UM fan is -- I think OSU's defense could be one of their better defenses and they have had some really good defenses. Shaun Wade and Jeffrey Okudah are going to be a heck of set of CB's.
You know enough to know what a monumental difference coaching can make though. Kevin Wilson took the worst offense in the B1G and in 3 years time made them top 3. He was piling up points with guys like Shane Wynn, Kodi Latimer and Kofi Hughes. Do you honestly think he won't make a huge difference with the studs OSU has?

Yes their defense is going to be extremely stout. I'm actually looking for Jordan Fuller to make the Malik Hooker jump this year. They're very similar players. The defensive backfield is going to be one of the nation's best for several years to come, as will the LB corp. I'm still not high on our defensive tackles, but we're going to have the best DE unit in the B1G and one of the best in the country. I've seen mocks for 2018 with both Tyquan Lewis and Sam Hubbard going first round, and Nick Bosa is already a monster. Chase Young, speaking of freshmen, may be the best pass rusher on the team by the year is over.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know enough to know what a monumental difference coaching can make though. Kevin Wilson took the worst offense in the B1G and in 3 years time made them top 3. He was piling up points with guys like Shane Wynn, Kodi Latimer and Kofi Hughes. Do you honestly think he won't make a huge difference with the studs OSU has?

Yes their defense is going to be extremely stout. I'm actually looking for Jordan Fuller to make the Malik Hooker jump this year. They're very similar players. The defensive backfield is going to be one of the nation's best for several years to come, as will the LB corp. I'm still not high on our defensive tackles, but we're going to have the best DE unit in the B1G and one of the best in the country. I've seen mocks for 2018 with both Tyquan Lewis and Sam Hubbard going first round, and Nick Bosa is already a monster. Chase Young, speaking of freshmen, may be the best pass rusher on the team by the year is over.

I have no doubt coaching can make a huge difference. It is why I really only mentioned the WR's. Not getting separation on their routes is why JT Barrett struggled at times last year. It is also why he ran so much and was sacked as much as he was.

The route tree and running precise routes, hand fighting, getting off the line, etc. Many extremely talented players struggle because they don't pick up on these things. Watching OSU -- it wasn't Barrett missing wide open WR -- it was him having to pull the ball down and run or throw it away against the better defenses.

The perfect example on UM is Drake Harris. 6'4". Runs a 4.4. Had 2100 yards receiving as a Junior in HS, including over 200 yards in the state championship game. Everyone wanted him for football and basketball (he can jump out of the gym). He signed with UM and has been pretty useless as he struggles to get separation and the only route he basically runs is a fly.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we do any kind of face planting. I could see us possibly losing 4 games next year at most. Does that qualify as face planting? I could also see us making a run at a NY6 game too if a QB steps up. We are fine everywhere else.

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Boise st. ill drop 3+ this year.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt coaching can make a huge difference. It is why I really only mentioned the WR's. Not getting separation on their routes is why JT Barrett struggled at times last year. It is also why he ran so much and was sacked as much as he was.

The route tree and running precise routes, hand fighting, getting off the line, etc. Many extremely talented players struggle because they don't pick up on these things. Watching OSU -- it wasn't Barrett missing wide open WR -- it was him having to pull the ball down and run or throw it away against the better defenses.

The perfect example on UM is Drake Harris. 6'4". Runs a 4.4. Had 2100 yards receiving as a Junior in HS, including over 200 yards in the state championship game. Everyone wanted him for football and basketball (he can jump out of the gym). He signed with UM and has been pretty useless as he struggles to get separation and the only route he basically runs is a fly.
You didn't watch much OSU football last year. JT was creating as many problems as he was having to avoid. Overthrowing open WRs, not throwing the ball away creating poor field position, underthrowing guys. He had a really bad year on his own. However, when you don't have a coach that is able to put together a coherent game plan that shows off your WRs talents, that is what happens.

Also, those WRs from last year aren't here anymore. Noah Brown (overrated) is gone, thankfully. Bin Victor, as I mentioned earlier, should've been starting over him as many other people around the program felt. Not being able to create separation isn't necessarily even a product of bad WR talent, as much as it is a product of just weak coaching that doesn't work to figure it out.