• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which Team Falls On Their Face In 2017

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn't watch much OSU football last year. JT was creating as many problems as he was having to avoid. Overthrowing open WRs, not throwing the ball away creating poor field position, underthrowing guys. He had a really bad year on his own. However, when you don't have a coach that is able to put together a coherent game plan that shows off your WRs talents, that is what happens.

Also, those WRs from last year aren't here anymore. Noah Brown (overrated) is gone, thankfully. Bin Victor, as I mentioned earlier, should've been starting over him as many other people around the program felt. Not being able to create separation isn't necessarily even a product of bad WR talent, as much as it is a product of just weak coaching that doesn't work to figure it out.

Route running isn't a product of bad coaching. Players, especially in today's age of advanced camps, online videos, private coaching, etc. already have and know what is needed to be polished route runner. Some players get it and others just don't.

And while I'd like to agree with the blame going to the OC -- Urban Meyer is right there with your OC -- the same way Harbaugh is there with UM.

Many of these players dominated HS based on talent alone. The players who can perfect technique to pair with the talent are the guys who succeed. UM signed a huge class of WR's, but it is the smallest one that I'm most excited about. Oliver Martin. He runs great routes and the reason he shot up the rankings -- when facing the best of the best at the opening -- no one could cover him. (I must add -- DPJ is tied with Martin as my favorite signing). I think both have a great shot to start as freshman.

It will be interesting to see what OSU's WRs look like this year and how the offense is without Samuel. Defensively -- I think OSU will be better this year. Offensively, I think they have trouble with teams with quality defenses. (Only my opinion)

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Route running isn't a product of bad coaching. Players, especially in today's age of advanced camps, online videos, private coaching, etc. already have and know what is needed to be polished route runner. Some players get it and others just don't.

And while I'd like to agree with the blame going to the OC -- Urban Meyer is right there with your OC -- the same way Harbaugh is there with UM.

Many of these players dominated HS based on talent alone. The players who can perfect technique to pair with the talent are the guys who succeed. UM signed a huge class of WR's, but it is the smallest one that I'm most excited about. Oliver Martin. He runs great routes and the reason he shot up the rankings -- when facing the best of the best at the opening -- no one could cover him. (I must add -- DPJ is tied with Martin as my favorite signing). I think both have a great shot to start as freshman.

It will be interesting to see what OSU's WRs look like this year and how the offense is without Samuel. Defensively -- I think OSU will be better this year. Offensively, I think they have trouble with teams with quality defenses. (Only my opinion)
Fair enough. I refuse to believe that we can churn out the most WRs in the draft over the last 3 years in the country and somehow not be able to develop good WRs. It was coaching, and you'll see it this year.

The defense will be better along the line but the back 7 will be interesting. There is more than enough talent, that's for sure, but it's young. I'm not going to worry about the defensive backs since we've proven we can deal with turnover well, but I still don't like our DTs and our LB spot has a huge hole to fill with Raekwon gone. Teams may be able to run up the gut on us this year if they have that sort of running game.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame was the 2016 poster child so who is up?

If you say Auburn...fuck off.

I have a couple teams in mind but most likely...Awburn

I guess I need to fuck off

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I refuse to believe that we can churn out the most WRs in the draft over the last 3 years in the country and somehow not be able to develop good WRs. It was coaching, and you'll see it this year.

The defense will be better along the line but the back 7 will be interesting. There is more than enough talent, that's for sure, but it's young. I'm not going to worry about the defensive backs since we've proven we can deal with turnover well, but I still don't like our DTs and our LB spot has a huge hole to fill with Raekwon gone. Teams may be able to run up the gut on us this year if they have that sort of running game.

I'm not saying you can't churn out WR's. I am just saying the last batch of talent weren't in the same ballpark talent wise as the WR's who helped OSU win a NC.

OSU is going to get yards on the ground. The passing game is what made them so hard to defend in years past. When you can't stretch the field with your passing game -- it shrinks the field for the defense and a good defense will capitalize on that.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying you can't churn out WR's. I am just saying the last batch of talent weren't in the same ballpark talent wise as the WR's who helped OSU win a NC.

OSU is going to get yards on the ground. The passing game is what made them so hard to defend in years past. When you can't stretch the field with your passing game -- it shrinks the field for the defense and a good defense will capitalize on that.
Couldn't agree with you more. That's what made last year such an annoyance. Beck knows nothing of a passing offense, but Kevin Wilson is arguably the best OC in the nation when it comes to that. As I said before, look what he did with those no-names at Indiana. He's going to have a field day with the studs we have here.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree with you more. That's what made last year such an annoyance. Beck knows nothing of a passing offense, but Kevin Wilson is arguably the best OC in the nation when it comes to that. As I said before, look what he did with those no-names at Indiana. He's going to have a field day with the studs we have here.

FWIW, Indiana was fucking atrocious on offense last year.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd in the conference in yards/game with no discernable talent on offense whatsoever, but okay.

So which team wasn't better than them offensively last year? Penn State, Michigan or Ohio State?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you would take Indiana's offense over Penn State's last year?
No, but I'm also not as dim to say the team with the 3rd most YPG in the conference was "atrocious".

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but I'm also not as dim to say the team with the 3rd most YPG in the conference was "atrocious".

They were tied for 8th in PPG in the conference, which ranks 88th nationally. And they were 11th in offensive efficiency, which ranks 83rd in the country. Yes, atrocious.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington and Michigan
CommentPhotos.com_1392062814.jpg

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were tied for 8th in PPG in the conference, which ranks 88th nationally. And they were 11th in offensive efficiency, which ranks 83rd in the country. Yes, atrocious.
I know you delight so much in contradicting me, but if your point here is to try and say Kevin Wilson doesn't have an amazing resume as an offensive mind and turned Indiana around night and day from when he first started, you're losing this one by a mile.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you delight so much in contradicting me, but if your point here is to try and say Kevin Wilson doesn't have an amazing resume as an offensive mind and turned Indiana around night and day from when he first started, you're losing this one by a mile.

In 2010 Indiana avg. 27 ppg and was 47th in offensive efficiency
In 2016 Indiana avg. 25.8 ppg and was 83rd in offensive efficiency

By the end of his tenure they were awful offensively. Averaging the last 3 years, their offensive efficiency wasn't even top 60 in the country. If you average out his 6 years, it doesn't add up to a top 50 offense in college football. Failing as a head coach doesn't mean he won't be a good OC though. But he didn't do shit at IU.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By the end of his tenure they were awful offensively. Averaging the last 3 years, their offensive efficiency wasn't even top 60 in the country. If you average out his 6 years, it doesn't add up to a top 50 offense in college football. Failing as a head coach doesn't mean he won't be a good OC though. But he didn't do shit at IU.
Arguing about Indiana offense is like farting in the wind. So always make sure you are down wind and don't mess with the air quality of others.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Way to cherry pick two seasons that don't prove your point. I prefer to look at the entire body of work:
Indiana's scoring offense ranking in the B1G:
2005: 13th
2006: 9th
2007: 5th
2008: 12th
2009: 11th
2010: 9th
2011: 12th (KW's first season)
2012: 4th
2013: 2nd
2014: 10th
2015: 1st
2016: 8th

In the 6 years before he got there, they were on average ranked 10th out of 14 (includes Rutgers and Maryland). In his 6 years, they averaged 6th out of 14. He also led them to bad-to-back bowl births for the first time in 25 years. More importantly, IU's passing game was routinely among the best in the conference, ranking 1st overall in 3 years and 3rd in another, which is more to my point here. Again, you're just wrong.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way to cherry pick two seasons that don't prove your point. I prefer to look at the entire body of work:
Indiana's scoring offense ranking in the B1G:
2005: 13th
2006: 9th
2007: 5th
2008: 12th
2009: 11th
2010: 9th
2011: 12th (KW's first season)
2012: 4th
2013: 2nd
2014: 10th
2015: 1st
2016: 8th

In the 6 years before he got there, they were on average ranked 10th out of 14 (includes Rutgers and Maryland). In his 6 years, they averaged 6th out of 14. He also led them to bad-to-back bowl births for the first time in 25 years. More importantly, IU's passing game was routinely among the best in the conference, ranking 1st overall in 3 years and 3rd in another, which is more to my point here. Again, you're just wrong.

I didn't cherry pick anything. I said over his 6 year tenure they didn't average out to a top 50 offense in the country. Which is a fact. I was just using those years because he left them in a worse position than when he took over.