• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to do with Nick Markakis?

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's as cut-and-dried decision as some might think. I don't think he's going to ask for a contract that rivals that of his last one (especially this last year at $17 mil), but I'm wondering if he's willing to take the cliché 'hometown discount' to stay in Baltimore. He's not a prototypical leadoff man, as he's not a speed threat. But he does have some OBP ability. Looking at all the sabremetric stats, there is some good and some bad to having him lead off.

And, honestly, I can't fault him for doing what the team needs, when it's been asked of him. Does anyone else here remember when he was hitting 3rd in the lineup? It wasn't all that long ago. The team asked him to bat leadoff because, well, there really weren't any other options. Once it became apparent that Roberts wasn't returning, he'd already been put in the leadoff or 2nd slot on a fairly routine basis. There's something to be said for a player who will do what the team needs. I have to laud him for that.

Still.. he's getting paid 17 mill for his services this year. $17 million. That's some bigtime moola. Of course, at the time, there wasn't much hope for it getting much better. Gotta believe some of the feeling in the agreement in that contract was Angelos saying "Please, Nick, have some fans still coming to the park. We don't have anyone else! Please?"

Nick's been coming on in recent weeks (it was looking kinda shaky there early on).. and my stance has softened a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love a trooper who will stick with a team through thick-and-thin.. and that's what Markakis represents for me.

And the last thing I wanna see is him signing a contract with some team like the Yankees, be their #2 hitter, and kill us when crunch time comes around on some late July day when we're tied 5-5 in the bottom of the 11th.

What do you think?

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should've made this a poll.

As of right now, I honestly have no clue as to how much money the O's would offer would be considered lowballing him. Is it 8 mil? 10 mil? 12 mil? 6 mil? I really have no idea. The whole situation is as close to inscrutable as far as contracts and loyalty go.

Do you want to hold on to him? Or are you okay to see him go?

I can't remember the last time I've had as tough a dilemma with O's personnel as I've had with this. Maybe it was with Bedard. (And, to be truthful, at the time I wanted us to hold on to him. Thanks heavens I'm not the O's GM.)

Mr. Oriole

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot is going to depend on Markakis. Who do the Yankees and Red Sox have to play RF next year? Just like with Hardy, those teams are going to offer a lot more than the O's will. If they follow the money, they will both be gone.

From all the info I see, Markakis is getting $15,350,000 this year. The O's have a $17.5M option for 2015 or a $2M buyout. So the O's could keep Markakis for $17.5M. Would you do that?

Also need to make decisions on Cruz and Reimold. A lot for the O's to work out in the OF for next year.

btw - I would shop Hardy this season for starting pitching. Move Machado to SS, Schoop to 3B, and decide on Lombardozzi or Weeks at 2B.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot is going to depend on Markakis. Who do the Yankees and Red Sox have to play RF next year? Just like with Hardy, those teams are going to offer a lot more than the O's will. If they follow the money, they will both be gone.

From all the info I see, Markakis is getting $15,350,000 this year. The O's have a $17.5M option for 2015 or a $2M buyout. So the O's could keep Markakis for $17.5M. Would you do that?

Also need to make decisions on Cruz and Reimold. A lot for the O's to work out in the OF for next year.

btw - I would shop Hardy this season for starting pitching. Move Machado to SS, Schoop to 3B, and decide on Lombardozzi or Weeks at 2B.

Thanks for clarifying that.. I got my point a little screwed up with the numbers. 17.5.. no. I can't see that for just about anybody, unless you're a total game changer like Pedro Martinez or someone of that caliber.

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HELLLLLLLL NOOOOOOO ive seen enough of him at 3rd to see i dont wanna see that again