• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What should the Brownies do about Hoyer and Manziel?

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say let Johnny learn the system before you start him.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're looking at a potential Brees vs. Rivers situation. The Chargers had to make a choice and decided to go with the unproven Rivers over the veteran Brees.

Are you saying that Hoyer is a placeholder quarterback? Are you really going invest starter money on Manziel and allow him to ride the bench? Teams might be looking to trade for Hoyer or Manziel, depending on the QB class of 2015.

That's a good thing, right?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafted in 2005, sat behind Favre 2005-2007.

Became starter in 2008.

No reason why the Browns would treat Manziel differently as long as Hoyer is healthy and the team is competitive.

Give Johnny a few years to learn the system, pacing of the league, work ethic needed to succeed, etc. before turning the reigns over to him if he has progressed to the point where he is the better QB. If not, stick with Hoyer.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You try to extend Hoyer, but you're not going to overpay to keep him.

If you can extend him, that gives Johnny a lot of time to really learn the game and get the most out of his talents, whatever they are at the NFL level.

If Hoyer walks, then at least you still have Johnny, and he'll have to adjust a bit more quickly, but either way, the Browns are covered.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're looking at a potential Brees vs. Rivers situation. The Chargers had to make a choice and decided to go with the unproven Rivers over the veteran Brees.

Wasn't Brees coming off a torn labrum injury?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason why the Browns would treat Manziel differently as long as Hoyer is healthy and the team is competitive.

Give Johnny a few years to learn the system, pacing of the league, work ethic needed to succeed, etc. before turning the reigns over to him if he has progressed to the point where he is the better QB. If not, stick with Hoyer.

The Packers drafted Rodgers because Favre was in his mid-30s and approaching so called retirement. Hoyer is 29 years old. He's not anywhere close to retirement.

So your view is that Hoyer is a placeholder QB, right?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good thing, right?

Yes, it's a good thing. The team has leverage and can get good players, if the organization decides they can't afford to keep both on roster.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers drafted Rodgers because Favre was in his mid-30s and approaching so called retirement. Hoyer is 29 years old. He's not anywhere close to retirement.

So your view is that Hoyer is a placeholder QB, right?

Currently, no, he's playing well and I have a lot of confidence in him. My caution is that the sample size with him is very small. I want to see how the rest of the season pans out before making any long term decisions regarding Hoyer.

As for Manziel, I'm mainly speaking from an on-paper standpoint. On paper, he is the QB of the future. Thats why he was drafted in the first round. That works well and good on paper.

On the field, I want the QB playing that gives me the best chance to win. I don't care if it's Hoyer or Johnny. To be honest, I like Hoyer a lot more than Manziel, and want him to succeed. He's a Cleveland guy playing for his hometown team. If he's the QB for the next 7 years, so be it. I think Cleveland will be in good hands if that's the case.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO he's always been a better option than JM and obviously with talent around him you can win games, but can you win playoff games with him?

I don't think he'll break the bank on the open market so I let the season play out and see what the market is for him and match it...see what the trade value is for JM and if I could get a 2nd rounder, I pull the trigger...otherwise JM is the back up until his rookie deal is up or Hoyer falters or gets hurt.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The correct answer is: Nothing right now.

The guy is a 29 year old undrafted journeyman QB who has now strung together his first five pretty solid starts of his career. The odds are stacked against him playing this well for the remainder of the season but if he does the team is just going to slap a franchise tag on him and see what he does next season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The correct answer is: Nothing right now.

The guy is a 29 year old undrafted journeyman QB who has now strung together his first five pretty solid starts of his career. The odds are stacked against him playing this well for the remainder of the season but if he does the team is just going to slap a franchise tag on him and see what he does next season.

Stacked against...agreed...long season ahead still.

I'm not sure if I would franchise him...lot of coin for a journeyman...I'm not thinking he'll get a huge deal because the sample size has been so small...match and if you can get a 2nd for JM, do it....there will be a handful of talents coming out that they can get as the heir apparent that imo will be as good or better than JM.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stacked against...agreed...long season ahead still.

I'm not sure if I would franchise him...lot of coin for a journeyman...I'm not thinking he'll get a huge deal because the sample size has been so small...match and if you can get a 2nd for JM, do it....there will be a handful of talents coming out that they can get as the heir apparent that imo will be as good or better than JM.

I wouldn't franchise him either but I don't think he's going to be a top QB at seasons end. My point was just that there's no sense in doing anything on October 17th. Josh McCown was another journeyman who looked great in 5 games last season.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While this is true, what do the Cowboys have to offer? Nothing that would be worth the trade...unless they threw in their #1 and a few other picks. Even Jerry isn't that stupid (i think).

No reason to dump Manziel. He is learning and developing. Why rush the process when you don't have to?:noidea:

Dez Bryant for Johnny Finger!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't franchise him either but I don't think he's going to be a top QB at seasons end. My point was just that there's no sense in doing anything on October 17th. Josh McCown was another journeyman who looked great in 5 games last season.

Browns have some really good pieces and played some good games...imo (and unfortunately) last week was the best I've seen them play in a long time...that said...the next 3 weeks will be interesting...if they are indeed for real, they should win the next 3, but I'm actually picking Jax this week. Then it gets a lot tougher...9-7 is what I'm thinking top side and the glitter will fade a bit for Hoyer.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gordon can get it together. Dez and Gordon! :shocked: With Jordan Cameron

Add in Benjamin and Austin. :omg:

In reality, there aren't enough footballs to go around with both Dez and Gordon on the same team. I like the way the offense is set up now. Ball control, tough running...the way an AFC north team should play.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gordon can get it together. Dez and Gordon! :shocked: With Jordan Cameron

Hey if the Browns can't trade Johnny Finger for Dez get Demarco Murray instead!