• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What has Howie Done?

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers are astounding. The Eagles this off-season have handed out 280 million in guarantee this offseason...more than twice any other team. They have not only spent the 2016 cap but are 11 million over the 2017 cap as well as 10 million more than the Cowboys. For 2018 they have 32 million more committed than any other team. And in 2019 they have another 12 million more.committed than any other team.
Don't matter; cap is going up again and we'll cut a lot of dead weight this offseason.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't matter; cap is going up again and we'll cut a lot of dead weight this offseason.

Let's look at the deadwood. There are three players that will salve them more than 2 million in cap if they cut them in tbe offseason.

Bradford. 13 million. 9.5 in dead money.
Peters. 9.2 million. 2 million dead
Matthew's. 4 million. 1 million dead
M smith. 1.5 million
Barbre. 1.8 million
Gardner 1.1 million

So a little over 30 million you can save. But Peters and Matthew's are starters. The Bradford contract was just signed this year and is horrible no matter how you look at it. So really only about 4m in dead wood in barbre smith and gardner.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Matthews will be around for awhile, and people are way too hard on him. The guy is a good RB and all we need is a scatback to go along with him and we are golden at RB for years.

Yes, we are spending money - and if we had done this during the first half of the Reid era - we would have a SB ring if not multiple ones. The "ONE" year we did it getting TO and Kearse - we went to the SB. If we had spent money on a true WR and rusher earlier - we wouldn't be ringless still. Now the real question is - are we leaving ourselves enough maneuverability to get the 'missing links' when we get better. I think things will be fine. We will not be caring a lot of the contracts that we have right now, then. The overall money we are spending at QB this year is ridiculous, but everyone knows Bradford won't be here much longer. We did overspend on Chase. It's not just the dead money to look at, but the contract money saved in future years AFTER the dead money year. That should bring things down a bit.. plus the cap constantly goes up. We are just in a building year. The FO is in a 5 year plan and budget right now and just like the start of the Reid era - they are doing what they feel they must to build and get a ring within 5 years. That should be the time frame for the QB to get thru growing pains and come into his own - along with a few other positions, like WR, RB and OL. Key will be keeping the defense strong. I think we are sitting in a good place for a rebuild.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Matthews will be around for awhile, and people are way too hard on him. The guy is a good RB and all we need is a scatback to go along with him and we are golden at RB for years.

Yes, we are spending money - and if we had done this during the first half of the Reid era - we would have a SB ring if not multiple ones. The "ONE" year we did it getting TO and Kearse - we went to the SB. If we had spent money on a true WR and rusher earlier - we wouldn't be ringless still. Now the real question is - are we leaving ourselves enough maneuverability to get the 'missing links' when we get better. I think things will be fine. We will not be caring a lot of the contracts that we have right now, then. The overall money we are spending at QB this year is ridiculous, but everyone knows Bradford won't be here much longer. We did overspend on Chase. It's not just the dead money to look at, but the contract money saved in future years AFTER the dead money year. That should bring things down a bit.. plus the cap constantly goes up. We are just in a building year. The FO is in a 5 year plan and budget right now and just like the start of the Reid era - they are doing what they feel they must to build and get a ring within 5 years. That should be the time frame for the QB to get thru growing pains and come into his own - along with a few other positions, like WR, RB and OL. Key will be keeping the defense strong. I think we are sitting in a good place for a rebuild.

I don't think this sort of spending lines up with your concepts of rebuilding and a 5 year plan. This is normally the sort of spending profile you see with a championship team trying to extend the streak a few years.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this sort of spending lines up with your concepts of rebuilding and a 5 year plan. This is normally the sort of spending profile you see with a championship team trying to extend the streak a few years.

Cox is a franchise player that you can build a great defense around. In our new scheme Cox is going to be a beast!! Between Banner and Howie we have always done well with the cap. I am not worried because the Eagles understand the cap better than any of us.

The cost of players is going up so I am sure the cap will follow.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mathews will be 29 in October, Spoles turned 33 on Monday.

Good luck with that plan.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers are astounding. The Eagles this off-season have handed out 280 million in guarantee this offseason...more than twice any other team. They have not only spent the 2016 cap but are 11 million over the 2017 cap as well as 10 million more than the Cowboys. For 2018 they have 32 million more committed than any other team. And in 2019 they have another 12 million more.committed than any other team.

This is a spending spree unlike any other in league history. And what are they really getting?

Given your history for prognostication you'd be better served just sitting, watching and hoping for disaster.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given your history for prognostication you'd be better served just sitting, watching and hoping for disaster.

I have no history. Vegas has the Eagles at 65 to 1 to win the Super Bowl and an estimated 7 or 7 and a half wins. How does a team go out and spend twice as much as any other team and be projected to finish in the bottom half of the league? Normally the teams that are forward spending on cap and have almost every starter locked in for several years are winning teams in the past or projected to be winning teams in the future.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no history. Vegas has the Eagles at 65 to 1 to win the Super Bowl and an estimated 7 or 7 and a half wins. How does a team go out and spend twice as much as any other team and be projected to finish in the bottom half of the league? Normally the teams that are forward spending on cap and have almost every starter locked in for several years are winning teams in the past or projected to be winning teams in the future.

Maybe because we are just recovering from a change of guard at coach, who overspent and makes up some of those figures, and a new regime who is spending money to turn the franchise around as fast as possible?? Those teams that have cap they pass into future years, are they in the midst of a regime change? And we have been there, passing over 10mil a year into future years, and it didn't net us any championships either. I think your massively overblowing the stats. NO ONE is epecting the eagles to go out and win this season. We just got our future Qb, we are in the 1st year of a rebuild after a coach got rid of some of our top talent and wasted a lot of money. I think most realize we are 3 years out from beginning to be a real threat, and open a new window of opportunity. And I think you will find we will be spending less in those future years, because we spent so much now to get it started.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dpd reemerges as premium. a big snore.

Vegas, the final authority.:rolleyes2:

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that would be his 3rd or 4th nickname?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is the new DPD sockpuppet?

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Panther were like 60 to 1 at one point before last season started. We haven't but a product out for anyone to see so how can anyone really have a clue?

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is the new DPD sockpuppet?

yeah.....if he was smart he would not have put the Niners and Eagles both on his avatar.....made it easy to figure out who he was.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a mixed bag. MORE than impressed with his moves not just to get out from under the Chip Kelly additions but get draft picks returned.

I think they really took Andy Reid's method to a new level. Andy always overpaid a bit for guys who had yet to really show they were good or great. Some times it really worked out well, some times it didn't. But he was pushing for getting guys happy, locked up long term based on his own view of their potential.

Not too worried about the cap, 22 mil free'd up next season just if they move on from Peters and Bradford which this off-season looks like they are setting up to do. No real key FA departures. Not good for sure, but not where they are needing to release positive players to fit. This locks the corps that Roseman wants up. Eagles have the fewest free agents leaving to worry about over the next couple years as well now.

It is like I said a mixed bag, this and next year no real flexibility in FA (by 2018 only Cox and Wentz are guys that couldn't be parted with to clear up lots of cap space).

In 2 years when the cap flexibility returns they should know what they have in Wentz and then can make the choices of where to go from there. If you are a GM that trusts in your abilities, makes sense for a long term idea. Keep the potential FA's you are high on locked up and happy for the next couple years. Don't make immediate big FA moves until you know where your QB/Coaching situation is and where your guys fit in a completely different system. Then a couple years down the line, have the flexibility to adjust to what you know you have on the field with Pederson and co rather than going off what you saw with Kelly and hope you will have with Pederson.

In the end it depends on how Roseman is at scouting his guys. If he wins on those contracts more than he loses, great, then can go on to the 2nd half of his plan on bringing in new players that fit what he's seen the team do and need under Pederson. If not, he'll get replaced and restart.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a mixed bag. MORE than impressed with his moves not just to get out from under the Chip Kelly additions but get draft picks returned.

I think they really took Andy Reid's method to a new level. Andy always overpaid a bit for guys who had yet to really show they were great. Lots of times it really worked out well, some times it didn't. But he was pushing for getting guys happy, locked up long term based on his own view of their potential.

Not too worried about the cap, 22 mil free'd up next season if they move on from Peters and Bradford which this off-season looks like they are setting up to do. I didn't like our cap situation anyways unless we would plan on keeping the Kelly guys. This at least locks the corps that Roseman wants up. Eagles have the fewest free agents leaving to worry about over the next couple years but won't have much to make additions in free agency.

It is like I said a mixed bag, this and next year no real flexibility (by 2018 only Cox and Wentz are guys that couldn't be parted with to clear up lots of cap space). I'm ok with that. By then they should know what they have in Wentz and then can make the choices of where to go.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So even Chip's worst signing (Murray) was tradeable a year later and the contract was structured as such that the cost against the cap was only about $4M in dead money. You expect to pay a premium for the league's leading rusher. You don't expect to pay a premium for a 29 year old backup with 2 career starts.

There's 3 RBs with a contract not financially tradeable (outside of rookies) after year 1 cap wise in the entire league. Signing a RB to a deal that is tradeable after year 1 isn't really a surprise I would think to commend someone on.

As for the paying a backup with no starts big money, I think you are talking about Daniels. Which is kinda funny as nearly 20 years ago the big talk was about the monster deal (at the time) for a backup that Philly spent on Pederson who Andy Reid brought in because he knew the system.

At the time of that move Bradford was our QB, Sanchez was being shopped and not part of the plans. No problem signing him then. Sure if you can go back in time and know the trade for the #2 overall happens maybe you don't add him.

But paying 6.5 mil in cap space a year for him the next two years if he is a guy Pederson likes and thinks that he can be a potential starter or good sideline guy to lean on. Even with adding Wentz, I am for spending spending more try and help him learn the NFL game.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top 100.list is out the Eagles placed one player on it. Cox.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good thing teams win titles.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good thing teams win titles.

I would love to see the Eagles do.well. But there really is lititle reason to believe they will. They are more committed to their current roster than any team in the NFL..by far. And this group has never won a title. It has one proven star player. It's got a rookie coach and journeyman coordinators. Anyway you measure it, it's a huge risk.