• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What has Howie Done?

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty funny that you can call Howie's moves wasting money before the fact and not call Chip's moves wasting money after it was already proven. Well not "funny," more like "asinine." You are simply engaging in "emotional computing" here. Although I use the term "computing" lightly as it overstates the analysis you've pretended to do here.

So even Chip's worst signing (Murray) was tradeable a year later and the contract was structured as such that the cost against the cap was only about $4M in dead money. You expect to pay a premium for the league's leading rusher. You don't expect to pay a premium for a 29 year old backup with 2 career starts.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Howie is doing is going back to the Joe Banner moneyball style of cap management. He is locking up the ascending talent on the roster before the players hit free agency. He is signing younger free agents who are still getting better as opposed to guys soon to be past their prime. He is acquiring better draft assets. He is trying to use free agency to fill out a roster and provide solid depth rather than trying to go for broke and remake the team in one off-season. He's spent a lot, but on younger players in their mid-20s in most cases. Now, he is free to go into the draft with more of a free hand to draft the best player available.

Chip by contrast:

* Trades draft picks for mediocre injury prone QBs
* Trades his best offensive player for an injured LB
* Signs not one but two veteran RBs to huge contracts
* Lets his best WR walk instead instead of using the $ on him
* Drafts no offensive linemen for several years

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Murray, Maxwell and Alonso were tradeable is somewhat reflective of the fact that Kelly was not horrible as a GM.

This is why you have zero credibility here and why no one takes you seriously. You make completely incorrect comments like this because either you refuse or are not capable of verifying anything. The reason those three players were tradeable was because of Howie and not Kelly.

Howie's job was the contracts and he worked out the deals for the player that Kelly chose. Kelly had nothing to do with negotiations or contracts. I am not a Howie fan but have to say he has done a great job so far. I still do not think he should be completely in charge of personnel.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So even Chip's worst signing (Murray) was tradeable a year later and the contract was structured as such that the cost against the cap was only about $4M in dead money. You expect to pay a premium for the league's leading rusher. You don't expect to pay a premium for a 29 year old backup with 2 career starts.

Chase Daniel, just taking practice snaps, is of more use to the Eagles than Murray's 2015 year was.

There are reasons Pederson wanted Daniel and was willing to pay for him. You are incapable of acknowledging those reasons. Your analysis lacks integrity, it's emotionally based.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase Daniel, just taking practice snaps, is of more use to the Eagles than Murray's 2015 year was.

There are reasons Pederson wanted Daniel and was willing to pay for him. You are incapable of acknowledging those reasons. Your analysis lacks integrity, it's emotionally based.

Don't get me wrong, I think Murray was one of the all time worst signings...arguably enough in and of itself enough to warrant firing Kelly. But in retrospect he was not overpaid as the contract turned out to be tradeable a year later even after a horrible performance year. We can only hope the same is true of these new contracts.

Paying Daniels $12M guaranteed though? Who were they bidding against? Okay, so he is a coach on the field, I get that, but from that perspective he is making more than Doug Pederson.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L. Johnson. $35M Guarantee, $10M SB, No Pro Bowls
V. Curry, $23M G, $10M SB, No Starts
Z. Ertz, $21M G, $8M SB, No Pro Bowls
B. Brooks, $21M G, $11M SB, No Pro Bowls
M. Jenkins, $21M G, $7.5M SB, 1 Pro Bowl (7th alternate)
S. Bradford, $22M G, $11M SB, No Pro Bowls
R. McLeod, $17M G, $8M SB, No Pro Bowls.
C. Daniels, $12M G, $6M SB, 2 career starts in 7 years (who was he bidding against?)
B. Celek, $6M G, $3M SB, No Pro Bowls
L. McKelvin, No Pro Bowls,
N. Bradham, No Pro Bowls

Totals, $178M in Guarantees, $74.5M in Signing Bonus. 1 Pro Bowl.

While I admire Lurie for willing to spend the money, this is a heck of an investment in one off season for 11 players with fairly thin resumes. Making the Pro Bowl is not necessarily a great measure, but its also not a real high standard...Derek Carr made the Pro Bowl. Chris Ivory made the Pro Bowl.
Troll thread!

Doc Green

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Murray, Maxwell and Alonso were tradeable is somewhat reflective of the fact that Kelly was not horrible as a GM.

Maxwell + Alonso + Murray = #68 (250 draft points) + #153 (30 draft points)

"Tradeable"... yes
"Assets"... arguable

Getting something instead of just cutting them... that's the real value here

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You add nothing here. Welcome to my ignore list.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L. Johnson. $35M Guarantee, $10M SB, No Pro Bowls
V. Curry, $23M G, $10M SB, No Starts
Z. Ertz, $21M G, $8M SB, No Pro Bowls
B. Brooks, $21M G, $11M SB, No Pro Bowls
M. Jenkins, $21M G, $7.5M SB, 1 Pro Bowl (7th alternate)
S. Bradford, $22M G, $11M SB, No Pro Bowls
R. McLeod, $17M G, $8M SB, No Pro Bowls.
C. Daniels, $12M G, $6M SB, 2 career starts in 7 years (who was he bidding against?)
B. Celek, $6M G, $3M SB, No Pro Bowls
L. McKelvin, No Pro Bowls,
N. Bradham, No Pro Bowls

Totals, $178M in Guarantees, $74.5M in Signing Bonus. 1 Pro Bowl.

While I admire Lurie for willing to spend the money, this is a heck of an investment in one off season for 11 players with fairly thin resumes. Making the Pro Bowl is not necessarily a great measure, but its also not a real high standard...Derek Carr made the Pro Bowl. Chris Ivory made the Pro Bowl.
97f900f515064aca28f82179576ca3e4.jpg

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. You guys crack me up. No one is willing to defend Howie logically, but you all seem more than willing to slobber all over him. This is all emotional responses.
Why don't you tell everybody what you really think?????

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that we can have a normal discussion here, I'd say Howie has done a pretty credible job. Only quibble I have is I wouldn't have gone so high on Brooks, and if that were the going rate for OGs, punted on free agency there and looked at the draft class where there are a lot of good mid round guys.

Houston fans not really a big fan of the guy and think they got an upgrade in Allen.

I don't even mind the Daniel contract because if he lights it up in preseason he's got some future trade value.

He got McLeod at a really solid number, and I like all of the depth/open competition signings. Getting up to 8 trading that dead weight (although I really liked Alonso when healthy) is highway robbery.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had to get one of the guards in FA. We still need another one in the draft. That's the disaster chip left us at Oline.

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had to get one of the guards in FA. We still need another one in the draft. That's the disaster chip left us at Oline.

Agreed. I don't think we could have come out of FA without a guard. We can fill one spot in the draft, but not both. We did probably overpay a little but that's how it goes with free agents.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers are astounding. The Eagles this off-season have handed out 280 million in guarantee this offseason...more than twice any other team. They have not only spent the 2016 cap but are 11 million over the 2017 cap as well as 10 million more than the Cowboys. For 2018 they have 32 million more committed than any other team. And in 2019 they have another 12 million more.committed than any other team.

This is a spending spree unlike any other in league history. And what are they really getting?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers are astounding. The Eagles this off-season have handed out 280 million in guarantee this offseason...more than twice any other team. They have not only spent the 2016 cap but are 11 million over the 2017 cap as well as 10 million more than the Cowboys. For 2018 they have 32 million more committed than any other team. And in 2019 they have another 12 million more.committed than any other team.

This is a spending spree unlike any other in league history. And what are they really getting?

Over the next 5 years they know they are getting a beastly Dlinemen and they think they are getting a top LT, a top TE, top safety play, and good QB play.