• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do you do with Purdy if you are the 49ers?

What would you do with Purdy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I would take Purdy's smarts and calmness over Fields athletic gifts 100 times out of 100. Fields just hasn't got it between the ears, imo.

When you add in the fact that Purdy is going to be cheaper, for at least 2 more seasons, on top of being a better QB right now, it just doesn't make sense. Maybe Fields will find a team that can build around him better than Chicago, but there just isn't anything that Fields does consistently good right now, in my opinion. I hope he succeeds wherever he goes (accept when he plays the Lions), but I just don't see anything yet that makes me think he will.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you add in the fact that Purdy is going to be cheaper, for at least 2 more seasons, on top of being a better QB right now, it just doesn't make sense. Maybe Fields will find a team that can build around him better than Chicago, but there just isn't anything that Fields does consistently good right now, in my opinion. I hope he succeeds wherever he goes (accept when he plays the Lions), but I just don't see anything yet that makes me think he will.
I honestly can't see it either. Fields reminds me of Colin Kaepernick in 2013 before his political stuff. Can run like the win and if the first read is open, has enough arm talent to hit it but is absolutely lost if he actually has to adapt or go through progressions and can't escape.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good call too. Fields could get stuck in a spot like Baker found himself. He may have to take significantly less money for a season or two to prove himself. He just hasn't done anything worthy of being paid even in the top 15 QB's, in my opinion. Maybe he'll find the right team and show everyone that he has plenty of talent to be a top 10 QB though. I imagine he is certainly available to any team...probably at a decent trade price too as most people know that he is not needed in Chicago any longer.

The cost depends on who decides they need a better answer than drafting Spencer Rattler if there are more QB needy teams than the top 5-6 QB prospects this year. Baker seems destined to say in Tampa. Cousins is the only other desirable FA QB. If Chicago is taking Caleb and moving Fields, the QB needy teams are Chicago, Washington, New England, Atlanta and Minnesota, with possibilities for the Giants, Seattle, Vegas, Jets (to develop to replace Rogers), Rams (to develop to replace Stafford).

If enough teams are pursuing a trade for Fields, that price goes up. I still think it takes a 2nd and an additional pick.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It‘s amazing the amount of criticism Purdy gets - last night’s loss was not on him whatsoever. I would happily take him on the Falcons if Niners fans don’t want him, as a Falcons fan I saw actual shitty QB play this season, Purdy is a very good QB.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cost depends on who decides they need a better answer than drafting Spencer Rattler if there are more QB needy teams than the top 5-6 QB prospects this year. Baker seems destined to say in Tampa. Cousins is the only other desirable FA QB. If Chicago is taking Caleb and moving Fields, the QB needy teams are Chicago, Washington, New England, Atlanta and Minnesota, with possibilities for the Giants, Seattle, Vegas, Jets (to develop to replace Rogers), Rams (to develop to replace Stafford).

If enough teams are pursuing a trade for Fields, that price goes up. I still think it takes a 2nd and an additional pick.
Add to that the likelihood that Russell Wilson is out there for a couple of those teams on the fringe of the top 10-12 picks who may or may not have the guy they want at that draft position like Atl and Vegas. And, of course, Denver then drafting a QB. That wouldn't surprise me at all. Fwiw, I kinda think Cousins re-ups with Minny and I agree with you on Baker. I think he earned a spot in Tampa this year for the immediate future. I can see the Seahawks and Jets thinking about developing a QB but that should be a mid rounder, I think. Who knows what the Giants will do. They have a ton of needs but they aren't going anywhere with Daniel Jones and are locked into him for next year anyway.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add to that the likelihood that Russell Wilson is out there for a couple of those teams on the fringe of the top 10-12 picks who may or may not have the guy they want at that draft position like Atl and Vegas. And, of course, Denver then drafting a QB. That wouldn't surprise me at all. Fwiw, I kinda think Cousins re-ups with Minny and I agree with you on Baker. I think he earned a spot in Tampa this year for the immediate future. I can see the Seahawks and Jets thinking about developing a QB but that should be a mid rounder, I think. Who knows what the Giants will do. They have a ton of needs but they aren't going anywhere with Daniel Jones and are locked into him for next year anyway.

I knew I forgot one (Denver), but DangerRuss also adds a name into the available pool of starting QBs.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I see at least 5 of those teams pursing a QB answer in the draft, rather than trying to trade for Fields. After that, there could be 3-4 teams looking for a guy like Fields, but then again if Cousins is available, he will get most the focus at first.

Also, what's really the difference between Fields and Gardner Minshew? Even Sam Darnold? If you could get those guys for free, why give up draft capital for Fields? Could Russell Wilson become available too?

Again, I probably undervalue Fields, and do wish him the best...he seems like a nice guy stuck in a bad system, but I just haven't seen much to make me think he will be a legit starter in the NFL.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade him to the raiders for a 5th rounder

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It‘s amazing the amount of criticism Purdy gets - last night’s loss was not on him whatsoever. I would happily take him on the Falcons if Niners fans don’t want him, as a Falcons fan I saw actual shitty QB play this season, Purdy is a very good QB.

But would you trade a couple of first round picks or maybe a 1st and 2nd round pick for him?

I too think Purdy is over criticized, and had a fantastic year. I wonder what they think of him long term though? Shanahan has done an amazing job at creating a system that has made QB's look REALLY good! Is it the QB, or is it mostly the system? That is my question.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But would you trade a couple of first round picks or maybe a 1st and 2nd round pick for him?

I too think Purdy is over criticized, and had a fantastic year. I wonder what they think of him long term though? Shanahan has done an amazing job at creating a system that has made QB's look REALLY good! Is it the QB or is it mostly the system is my question.
I would definitely trade high draft picks for him. Finding a franchise QB is very hard.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would definitely trade high draft picks for him. Finding a franchise QB is very hard.
Again, no shot at Purdy, but labeling him a "franchise QB" seems a little premature. He has had some amazing success so far though in his 20 something games he has started.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy is still not that great of a QB IMO. He can't make sideline throws, a lot of his yards came from YAC (San Fran led the league by a decent amount), he has the best RB in the NFL.... an elite defense. Not to mention he plays in a cupcake division at the moment with Arizona being one of the worst teams in the league, Carroll who had a coaching philosophy that 2 down lineman, 5-6 CBs/Safeties on the field, and an offense that resembled Tecmo Bowl's playbook was somehow the correct thing to do, and the Rams who are cap strapped.

Biggest mistake the 9ers could do right now is sign Purdy to a huge contract. Hell I'd trade him for a couple first rounders. The 9ers are still stacked at the moment. You can bring in quite a few QBs and succeed with it. Lance would've been fine, he just couldn't stay healthy.
Totally agree......

but.......

The only thing I disagree with is he could fetch 2 1st rounders.....I dont hell if you n I figure hes not that great of a qb and he is just surrounded by major talent,then I tend to think scouts,gms and coaches would all feel the same.......

I think he is living on borrowed time......

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, no shot at Purdy, but labeling him a "franchise QB" seems a little premature. He has had some amazing success so far though in his 20 something games he has started.
He led the team to the Super Bowl in his first full year as a starter, and to the NFC Title after taking over at the halfway point last year. What more do you want from him?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He led the team to the Super Bowl in his first full year as a starter, and to the NFC Title after taking over at the halfway point last year. What more do you want from him?

Well for starters, I'd like to see what he could do over a longer period of time. Again, it's not to be critical of him, but he has had an elite offensive line and the best RB in the league (maybe top 5 all time), along with some GREAT WR's. He's done an amazing job, but he had an amazing team surrounding him.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be worth it, but the fact of the matter is that Shanahan has taken 3 different QB's to the SB. I'd definitely want to know if it is the system or the QB before shelling out some serious draft capital for him. Again, Purdy has done great things, but just not for very long, and that would be my worry. He hasn't even been an NFL starter for more than one complete season.

raoul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that there isn't anything available right now. The only QB that might represent a significant upgrade would be Cousins...but he's coming off an injury...and is probably out of their price range. San Francisco might have to draft a QB.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well for starters, I'd like to see what he could do over a longer period of time. Again, it's not to be critical of him, but he has had an elite offensive line and the best RB in the league (maybe top 5 all time), along with some GREAT WR's. He's done an amazing job, but he had an amazing team surrounding him.
Sure, the Niners have the best RB in the NFL and above average WRs and a great TE, but an elite Oline? LOL. That tells me you don't know all that much about the Niners. Outside of Williams at LT, the Niner Oline is very average.

For comparison look at the Oline in Philly. Hurts has an elite Oline in Philly. No one would confuse the Niners Oline with theirs. Not to mention he has 2 1,000yd WRs and a 1,000yd RB and a good TE. Yet no one is saying "well, Hurts isn't a franchise QB yet imo b/c I need to see him over a longer period of time without all those weapons."