• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Are The Lakers Chances in Keeping Their Pick

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's under contract. It would likely require more than just the #3 to get him though.
It had have to be really good to give up a top three pick which I'm not really convinced is a good idea unless you get both Poetl and a really good player - We will have our team almost set with the rookies short of a good signing. Mitch Kupchak said today or yesterday that he thought the Lakers were in much better shape then last year or the year before and wants to keep Scott who said did as good as possible under the circumstances - I interpret that as he knows Scott was set up to lose. Getting another top three pick might not happen for another decade or two so we want to be sure we get this one right

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who first suggested it but either Mitch is stating things as they will be or this is a smokescreen but if it is true, it looks as thought the Lakers are willing to trade the pick if it is a top three. Says a lot about what the Lakers think of the top players this year.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who first suggested it but either Mitch is stating things as they will be or this is a smokescreen but if it is true, it looks as thought the Lakers are willing to trade the pick if it is a top three. Says a lot about what the Lakers think of the top players this year.

I think it just likely means that they are open for business and willing to listen to offers, as they should be. If a team is willing to part with the right assets to make it worth it, you take a good long look at trading that pick.

For example, and this is purely an example, if Russell Westbrook indicates to OKC that he has no intention of re-signing with them after next season, they may be willing to trade him for that top 3 pick so they get something for him.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it just likely means that they are open for business and willing to listen to offers, as they should be. If a team is willing to part with the right assets to make it worth it, you take a good long look at trading that pick.

For example, and this is purely an example, if Russell Westbrook indicates to OKC that he has no intention of re-signing with them after next season, they may be willing to trade him for that top 3 pick so they get something for him.

I'd sweeten the pot and throw in D'Angelo Russell and the pick for Westbrook.

Doubt it happens.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd much prefer KD over RW.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd sweeten the pot and throw in D'Angelo Russell and the pick for Westbrook.

Doubt it happens.

It won't. That's why I said purely an example. I have never heard a word about Westbrook being unhappy or wanting out of OKC. Just used him as the example because there have been past rumors of him eventually ending up with the Lakers because he's from LA.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't. That's why I said purely an example. I have never heard a word about Westbrook being unhappy or wanting out of OKC. Just used him as the example because there have been past rumors of him eventually ending up with the Lakers because he's from LA.

Being from LA is why I think there's a very slim chance it could happen......especially if KD bolts and RW doesn't want to stick around for the free fall.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being from LA is why I think there's a very slim chance it could happen......especially if KD bolts and RW doesn't want to stick around for the free fall.

I think it would be more likely that he would come as a free agent. If Durant leaves this off-season though, then it does get interesting though. Because then it's a question of whether or not he sticks around for one more year as the undisputed best player on the team, or decides he wants out and tries to force a trade. OKC could decide to agree to trade him so they don't lose both stars and have nothing to show for it.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Lakers are going to trade Russell for Westbrook. I think they have learned their lessons in the Dwightmare/Nash debacle.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Lakers are going to trade Russell for Westbrook. I think they have learned their lessons in the Dwightmare/Nash debacle.

Westbrook is 27. Nash was 10 years older when they traded for him. There's no comparison. You make that deal all day long if its on the table.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook is 27. Nash was 10 years older when they traded for him. There's no comparison. You make that deal all day long if its on the table.

D'Angelo is 20 and has barely shown us what he's capable of. I'll take my chances.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Angelo is 20 and has barely shown us what he's capable of. I'll take my chances.

Gotta disagree with you here. I like D'Angelo and love his potential. But it's just that...potential. Russell Westbrook still has plenty of years left and is a known quantity. He is just into his prime. Also, adding him to the Lakers would attract other top FA's.

If the basketball gods decided to smile on the Lakers and such a deal became possible, it could literally transform them into contenders over night.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta disagree with you here. I like D'Angelo and love his potential. But it's just that...potential. Russell Westbrook still has plenty of years left and is a known quantity. He is just into his prime. Also, adding him to the Lakers would attract other top FA's.

If the basketball gods decided to smile on the Lakers and such a deal became possible, it could literally transform them into contenders over night.
I agree. I would take RW over Russell any day of the week.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shockingly, KD signs with the Lakers this summer along with Horford. RW then forces a trade to the Lakers for some of their youth. Welcome back to contention Lakers!