• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 6: Virginia Tech @ North Carolina (Oct. 6, 2012)

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacked by a guy who was double teamed, fought through it, picked himself off the ground, and kept trucking..in lt3's defense, he usually has no one to pass or doesn't have time to let the play develop. And I've noticed now..our tight ends do suck in every way. Any team with a decent defensive line will give the offense trouble..a lot of it...frosh or not. Michael cole's open field tackling is fucking pathetic...and bonner's is no better..I'd expect both of these guys to be buried in the depth chart and I think that if fisher could play free safety, he could legitimately start next season...and I wouldn't call the dline even mediocre..gonna be a long season I think..think we CAN have a decent team but it would take a miracle to beat fsu or clemson and miami looks like a likely loss at this point...

Our offensive and defensive lines are playing pretty poorly..you're not gonna win many games til u get that fixed..

I'd expect Jarrett to slide over to FS if Fisher plays as a true freshman (which I wouldn't rule out), with Fisher at Rover. But that's asking a lot of a true freshman, and Bonner/Cole have the rest of this year and the spring to get better. Manning, Tookes, Riley, Frye, and Greene will also have had a year in the system. If there isn't significant improvement, though, they'd better watch out. Besides Fisher stepping in, Kyle or Exum could slide over to one of the safety spots and Kendall could start at corner. Or at least challenge for the nickle spot.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like the PI on Fuller that lead to the last UNC FG. He didn't seem to get touched. I did actually think that the UNC player recovered the ball in bounds on the Thomas fumble. If they would have reviewed that, it probably would have been UNC ball.

I don't know what they showed on TV, but I'm guessing the camera cut over to Fuller after he'd let go. I was at the game, and Fuller was definitely pulling him back by the jersey.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how did nobody here complain about the no-call when Tyrel Wilson blew by his man and then got taken down from behind, pushed in the back by the guy he'd beaten? This was late in their 1st drive that ended in a TD.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is just wildly inconsistent. There are alot of little problems that are compounding to make one huge problem. I am going to sound like Beams here, but if this team could put together a complete game (or just improve a little bit) on both sides of the ball, in every area, then we are 4-1 rather than 2-3. Either the offense shows up and the defense doesn't, or vice-versa. The ACC is still wide open and I honestly think this team still has a shot at an ACCCG berth. The conference and division is still wide open, FSU is not invincible, Miami got manhandled by a good ND team, GT and Clemson are pretty hot and cold (especially on defense), Duke and UVA are tough..but we are still better than those teams if we play like it. There is a ton of work to do in a short amount of time and zero room for error from here on out. But I think this team has as much talent as a whole as any of those teams. Players need to play better and coaches need to coach better.

I would have laughed right there if I could remember how...

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think we win Duke and UVA pretty easily. I think if we play the way we did the past weekend we will be fine. Just to clarify, UNC doesn't get any post season, right? And if they have the best record in the coastal division, do they win it? or are they disqualified from even winning the coastal division. My understanding is that they can't play in the ACCCG

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think we win Duke and UVA pretty easily. I think if we play the way we did the past weekend we will be fine. Just to clarify, UNC doesn't get any post season, right? And if they have the best record in the coastal division, do they win it? or are they disqualified from even winning the coastal division. My understanding is that they can't play in the ACCCG

I am much more worried about the Duke game than I am the UVA game. We should win them both. But Duke has a decent team this year, and we have not shown that we can beat a decent team.

no postseason for UNC. They can't win the coastal or go to the ACCCG, either, because of the postseason ban (because the ACCCG winner is guaranteed a BCS bowl slot, and they wouldn't be able to fill that).

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify, if, say they are 7-1 in ACC playing and we are 4-4 (yet second best in the coastal), we would still get the coastal title officially?

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke played us pretty close in 08, 09 and 11. It probably won't be an easy game especially with the struggles on both sides of the ball.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well I still like my idea about the O-line weakening the D-line. It's more comforting because the other scenario is that a bunch of players got worse and another position coach might be slacking.

I don't understand what Telvion did that was worse than Journell's incident. Face it, Beamer kept Journell because Beamer is still stuck in the 90's-early 2000's when special teams won games

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify, if, say they are 7-1 in ACC playing and we are 4-4 (yet second best in the coastal), we would still get the coastal title officially?

I think so. I'm not sure I've ever seen it spelled out perfectly clearly on that point.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I still like my idea about the O-line weakening the D-line. It's more comforting because the other scenario is that a bunch of players got worse and another position coach might be slacking.

I don't understand what Telvion did that was worse than Journell's incident. Face it, Beamer kept Journell because Beamer is still stuck in the 90's-early 2000's when special teams won games

yeah, go for what makes you comfortable, fooz. We wouldn't want you to be uncomfortable.

As for Clark-Journell, isn't it obvious? This has been explained time and again. Clark was repeatedly getting into trouble. He was not taking responsibility for his actions and making the efforts necessary to change things. You can't coach someone who won't listen, and they're a cancer to the rest of the team. What choice did they have but to let him go? On the other hand, Journell wasn't that way at all. He did one very bad thing. It has not been a continuous problem. And it may have been more or less bad depending on whether he knew that the other guy had a gun or not. I'm betting they gave him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't know, and gave him a second chance.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Y'all would be in the ACCCG and win the coastal title

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I thought the offense played alittle better Saturday, but still not near what we need. Some bad blocking and drops hurt the passing game, and the running game is still no where to be found. The fumble at mid field in the third quarter killed us. We were only down by one score and moving down the field. Instead, UNC gets the ball and scores quickly.

The defense was pounded on the ground yet again. Even taking out the 4th down sellout TD, we looked plain bad against the run. Two times now we've given up more rushing yards than we gave up to GT. That's weird, and it makes me wonder how much time we put into GT before the season. Not much good happens when you can't run or stop the other team from running.

I heard someone found scissors on the field during the game. WTF?

We might actually lose to Duke. I don't think I'd favor Duke at this point, but we still haven't proven anything on the field. The home crowd can help, and Duke defense is never scary. They ran the ball against Virginia, but otherwise they rely on the pass. We could hopefully get some turnovers to generate some points. We'll see what happens.

As an aside, we hung out with a lot of different Hokies Saturday, walking from tailgate to tailgate. Our fans are hurting, but there are a lot of Hokies still positive and proud. I think some UNC fans were a tad bit pissed we dared to have a good time after a loss. Keep the faith - GO HOKIES

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Beamer kept Journell because he's a consistent kicker, in spite of his off-field antics. I'm glad he gave Journell a second chance.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...The defense was pounded on the ground yet again. Even taking out the 4th down sellout TD, we looked plain bad against the run. Two times now we've given up more rushing yards than we gave up to GT. That's weird, and it makes me wonder how much time we put into GT before the season. Not much good happens when you can't run or stop the other team from running...

I don't think it's so much about extra prep for GT as about facing balanced opponents. We can either defend the run (with JGW or RVD) or the pass (with Cole... although this is weaker than our run-sellout mode), but not both with the same personnel. A balanced opponent can call a pass play when JGW or RVD is in, or a run when Cole is in, and have pretty good success. Missing Tariq is hurting us. Missing pass protection capability from our whip and a reliable 5th DB to bring in for nickle are hurting us even more.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The defense is also missing Telvion Clark who would've been a capable backup for Edwards unlike the slow, less than 100% Bruce Taylor