• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 5 @ Chargers

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-2 guys...it is what it is.

They played good enough to win last week imo...as much as I hate losing to the Ravens...it's water under the bridge now, time to move on.

Chargers are also 2-2 (losing both on the road) and I would imagine the team is boarding a plane this morning to make that long flight to Cali.

Injuries/Suspensions...I think everyone knows Martavious Bryant is back this week from his 4 gamer...supposedly he's been training but apparently not being able to practice with the team showed up this week...he was held out Wed I think for soreness (to be expected I guess) but is expected to go.

Shazier (shoulder) was apparently seen with his arm in a sling on Wed, but I heard he is expected to go, ...with this kid...we're best served to wait until the official report comes out later today...McCullers (knee) ...same thing. Wheaton (ankle) thinks he will play...Spaeth (hand)...maybe @FaCe-LeE-uS will have more on injuries.

On the Chargers...they get one of their big guns back...TE, Gates is also coming off a 4 gamer.

Steeler OFC...Vick's 1st game as the starter...Haley wisely employed a conservative game plan...in hindsight maybe it was too conservative...with so many 3 and outs, or 1 first down drives, the DEF was hung out the dry in the 2nd half. With a full 9-10 days to prepare, I think we can expect Vick to have a more aggressive game plan this week.

Of course he has the full assortment of weapons (assuming Wheaton plays) this time. They are facing a pretty average DEF in the Chargers...they have given up almost 28 pts per game and 5 QB sacks thru 4 games...Vick still has to step up his game and be better prepared vs the blitz that he will almost certainly see...I think the OFC plays better this week as a result.

Steeler DEF...They avg about 24 pts per game thus far, but more capable than that. Rivers is still a top flight QB and he has some good weapons in Allen, Gordon, Floyd, Gates, and you can't forget Woodhead. Aside from week 1, this week will be a stern test for the secondary and the DEF overall because they can run it with the rookie RB Gordon maybe better than in recent years.

Steelers have to control the run game and still get pressure to keep this score in a manageable range for a backup QB.

I'm not confident because I still don't know what to expect from Vick, but imo the Steelers DEF is better than the Chargers D...I like PIT in this one 24-20.

What say you?

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1uncle-rico.jpg

With the talent on this offense ^^^THIS GUY^^^^ could QB this to to a win. Haley needs to let Vick do his thing and utilize the talent on this offense. If we lose this game, I'm sorry, its on Haley!!!

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hqdefault.jpg

SteelerKing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a must win game out of the stretch of games that Ben will likely be on the sideline for and after giving one away to the Ravens. Rivers is certainly a top flight quarterback but he's also a less mobile pocket passer than any of the quarterbacks we've faced thus far and playing behind a depleted Oline. We're back to being one of the top pass rushing teams in the NFL again so it's up to the D to hit Rivers early and often and hopefully harass him into making mistakes.

On the flip side, the Chargers defense is currently 27th in the NFL against the run and surrendering a league high yards per carry (4.9). After the game Bell had against a superior Ravens run defense, I'd look for him to have another big game as well as open things up for some shots downfield. We need to take them more often this week; Vick is capable of doing so and I'd expect to see Bryant's number getting called at least a fair amount in his first game back.

No more coaching and play calling blunders this week, please. Get'r'done.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries... Back at relatively full strength on both sides of the ball. A few people are dealing with some pain, Wheaton (ankle), Spaeth (hand), Shazier (shoulder), but have all had drastic improvements this week. All are slated to play on Monday. Shazier's arm being in the sling on Wednesday was merely a precaution. He had been doing that all last week to aid the healing process. So there haven't been any setbacks, just "doctor's orders". There is a growing concern over Martavis. He has only practiced once this week. He's not listed on the injury report, but his status is uncertain at the moment. He hasn't even been rostered to the 53 yet.

O... Like it has been said, this offense did enough to win last week. But with the uncertainty of a new kicker, and the pressure of falling behind in the AFC, this game is going to be turned up a notch. I expect Haley to be much more aggressive with this gameplan. If everything goes to plan, I could see this offense dropping 40+ on SD. But with Vick behind center I'll temper that to 30ish. They have a terrible run defense so they need to expose that early and often. Don't get cute Haley... Make them stop the run! When the run is working well, then take some shots downfield to keep the defense from stacking the box. I don't foresee this offense having any problems moving the ball on Monday.

D... The pass rush is going to define this matchup. Like SteelerKing pointed out, Rivers is the least mobile QB that they've played to date. But don't underestimate him, he's a great QB with a fiery competitive edge. He has great timing on his throws and he could easily expose this secondary. The front 7 needs to make sure he doesn't get comfortable in the pocket. If the pressure can get to Rivers and rattle him then he'll make mistakes. Tuitt & Heyward have been doing a great job collapsing the pocket, so we need the OLB's to capitalize on that. The secondary needs to continue its opportunistic streak and they'll be in good shape.

Steelers have the opportunity to make a case for staying in the AFC race. This game is crucial for that.

Steelers 32 - Chargers 20

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we we will we see an improved vic this week just because he has had more time to practice with the first string

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries... Back at relatively full strength on both sides of the ball. A few people are dealing with some pain, Wheaton (ankle), Spaeth (hand), Shazier (shoulder), but have all had drastic improvements this week. All are slated to play on Monday. Shazier's arm being in the sling on Wednesday was merely a precaution. He had been doing that all last week to aid the healing process. So there haven't been any setbacks, just "doctor's orders".

O... Like it has been said, this offense did enough to win last week. But with the uncertainty of a new kicker, and the pressure of falling behind in the AFC, this game is going to be turned up a notch. I expect Haley to be much more aggressive with this gameplan. If everything goes to plan, I could see this offense dropping 40+ on SD. But with Vick behind center I'll temper that to 30ish. They have a terrible run defense so they need to expose that early and often. Don't get cute Haley... Make them stop the run! When the run is working well, then take some shots downfield to keep the defense from stacking the box. I don't foresee this offense having any problems moving the ball on Monday.

D... The pass rush is going to define this matchup. Like SteelerKing pointed out, Rivers is the least mobile QB that they've played to date. But don't underestimate him, he's a great QB with a fiery competitive edge. He has great timing on his throws and he could easily expose this secondary. The front 7 needs to make sure he doesn't get comfortable in the pocket. If the pressure can get to Rivers and rattle him then he'll make mistakes. Tuitt & Heyward have been doing a great job collapsing the pocket, so we need the OLB's to capitalize on that. The secondary needs to continue its opportunistic streak and they'll be in good shape.

Steelers have the opportunity to make a case for staying in the AFC race. This game is crucial for that.

Steelers 32 - Chargers 20

Thanks for the injury updates...looks like we'll have the whole squad minus Ben...I can work with that.

Chargers have been investing the OL lately...they have some young guys playing...I like the pass rush against Rivers as well and with the ability to come up the middle and off the edge, we should see at least 2 sacks, maybe more if SD falls behind, but you have to get him on the ground....just being in the area is not good vs Rivers.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we we will we see an improved vic this week just because he has had more time to practice with the first string

If Haley gives him a little more freedom, there could be good things to happen here!!!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the injury updates...looks like we'll have the whole squad minus Ben...I can work with that.

Chargers have been investing the OL lately...they have some young guys playing...I like the pass rush against Rivers as well and with the ability to come up the middle and off the edge, we should see at least 2 sacks, maybe more if SD falls behind, but you have to get him on the ground....just being in the area is not good vs Rivers.
I edited the post to include the mystery surrounding Martavis right now.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Shazier has been ruled out for the 3rd straight week. Pretty maddening considering all the "drastic improvements" that we've been hearing about. My guess is Tomlin doesn't feel like reaggravating the injury by pressing him into duty while not at 100%. If this was a playoff game he would probably be playing. With how well Spence has been playing he is allowed the luxury of letting Shazier heal fully.

Also sounds like Bryant's "soreness" has been upgraded to a "knee tweak" . :L . He will likely be out another week.

So much for the team being back to full strength.

SteelerKing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Haley gives him a little more freedom, there could be good things to happen here!!!

I think Haley kept Vick on a pretty tight leash.

(Sorry, couldn't resist) :becky:

Looks like Shazier has been ruled out for the 3rd straight week. Pretty maddening considering all the "drastic improvements" that we've been hearing about. My guess is Tomlin doesn't feel like reaggravating the injury by pressing him into duty while not at 100%. If this was a playoff game he would probably be playing. With how well Spence has been playing he is allowed the luxury of letting Shazier heal fully.

Also sounds like Bryant's "soreness" has been upgraded to a "knee tweak" . :L . He will likely be out another week.

So much for the team being back to full strength.

This really sucks. Shazier was playing like a man possessed and looking like he could be every bit as good as Mosley. I really wanted to see more of him on the field.

The Bryant injury is unfortunate as well, but with Ben out, and considering he's already missed the first four games along with DHB playing very well recently, I'm not sure how big of an impact his return would actually make.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really sucks. Shazier was playing like a man possessed and looking like he could be every bit as good as Mosley. I really wanted to see more of him on the field.

The Bryant injury is unfortunate as well, but with Ben out, and considering he's already missed the first four games along with DHB playing very well recently, I'm not sure how big of an impact his return would actually make.
I hear ya... Shazier's injury history is going to put him in the Steeler Nation Dog House if he doesn't get on the field ASAP!

I agree on Bryant. But he's a much more physical presence than DHB. Its hard for D's to not want to double Bryant because of his size & speed. He & Vick showed some good chemistry this preseason. So I'm hopeful that he can ignite this conservative offense.

3riverbabe

32 flavors & then some
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a must win game out of the stretch of games that Ben will likely be on the sideline for and after giving one away to the Ravens. Rivers is certainly a top flight quarterback but he's also a less mobile pocket passer than any of the quarterbacks we've faced thus far and playing behind a depleted Oline. We're back to being one of the top pass rushing teams in the NFL again so it's up to the D to hit Rivers early and often and hopefully harass him into making mistakes.

On the flip side, the Chargers defense is currently 27th in the NFL against the run and surrendering a league high yards per carry (4.9). After the game Bell had against a superior Ravens run defense, I'd look for him to have another big game as well as open things up for some shots downfield. We need to take them more often this week; Vick is capable of doing so and I'd expect to see Bryant's number getting called at least a fair amount in his first game back.

No more coaching and play calling blunders this week, please. Get'r'done.
27th against the run? Look for Bell & Williams (if he plays) to have big nights. I hope so, anyway!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya... Shazier's injury history is going to put him in the Steeler Nation Dog House if he doesn't get on the field ASAP!

I agree on Bryant. But he's a much more physical presence than DHB. Its hard for D's to not want to double Bryant because of his size & speed. He & Vick showed some good chemistry this preseason. So I'm hopeful that he can ignite this conservative offense.

Wow...Shazier...I'm not understanding...listed as full participant at practice on the last report I saw, but the fact they had him in a sling was a tip that they are going to treat him with kid gloves...with the depth @ ILB it's easier to err on the side of caution in week 5, but this kid has to stay on the field.

Bryant...somehow I expected he might try to do too much too soon coming off a 4 gamer...interesting to see if Coates is not more of a factor.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...Shazier...I'm not understanding...listed as full participant at practice on the last report I saw, but the fact they had him in a sling was a tip that they are going to treat him with kid gloves...with the depth @ ILB it's easier to err on the side of caution in week 5, but this kid has to stay on the field.

Bryant...somehow I expected he might try to do too much too soon coming off a 4 gamer...interesting to see if Coates is not more of a factor.
Like SteelerKing noted... Since DHB is playing so well we haven't needed Coates. We probably would have seen him this week if Wheaton were to be inactive, but he's going to play so back to the shelf Coates goes.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like SteelerKing noted... Since DHB is playing so well we haven't needed Coates. We probably would have seen him this week if Wheaton were to be inactive, but he's going to play so back to the shelf Coates goes.

Yeah...Vick probably has a fair amount of reps with him as well...looking, reaching for some RZ targets.