• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 1: Broncos vs Panthers

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just for those who might want to know tonight on NFL Network they are airing a couple of shows about the Broncos. I think one is about the Broncos season in general and another is about Kubiak. They both look pretty good.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna guess our 7 inactives here.

Bennie Fowler (injury)
Jeff Heuerman (injury and not many reps)
Austin Davis
Connor McGovern
Kyle Peko
Dekoda Watson (despite great PS might have to inactive a LB)

This is where it gets kind of tough.

Will Parks maybe? That puts us down to 3 S's.. I hate to put Lorenzo Doss in there after a great PS.

With Fowler out, we probably have the othe 5 Wr's active, so I would assumed Jordan Taylor will be active although we could go with 4 WR's.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys - If you don't mind I am going to jump in here because the Panther's board is non existent.

First, I throw out all the talk about revenge - no respect etc. These guys are professional and while emotions might be high initially, football will take over and players both teams will get down to doing their jobs. At the end of the day it is a non divisional opponent and there are much more important games on both calendars.

I think what is most worrisome for the Panthers is that there is no book on Siemian to prepare for. Kubiak and company are excellent coaches and there will be a game plan to address the Panther's pass rush. Whether it works or not is a separate story. You guys will test our young secondary and Sanders will be a tough cover for us. I think running against us will be tough for you but if you have the lead going into the fourth quarter I worry about our stamina at that altitude and your run game could indeed take over.

I think on the Panther's side it is important for us to establish the run. Even if there is little success early we need to stay with it. Our passing attack will look different than the SB with Benjamin in there and surely to God we will will address mitigating Von's pass Rush. Again whether we are successful or not is a separate story.

I think the X-Factor will be special team play and controlling field position. You guys have a lot of newbies on special teams so I like our odds here.

This should be a low scoring game but I have to go something like 15 - 10 Panthers.

BTW - As far as Sportshoopla goes you guys were class winners this year. Nothing at all like what I saw from the Seahawks and the Patriots.

Cheers and let's tee this sucker up

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things I thought Carolina would in SB is have Cam do more running . Carolina seemed to want Cam a pocket passer and got burned. I expect him to take off more tonight. I think Denver is the toughest matchup for Cam in the NFL. All teams have a few teams that gives them fits more then others. I just hope Siemian does well enough that we can take longer to develop Lynch and not switch to him for awhile.

I think the first 4 games are tough for an young QB. I also think it develops him faster if he faces good teams vs crappy ones. I have no expectations for first 4 games other than gaining exp and see how the ballis going to bounce for us this season all years are different and being a SB champ is tough.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is pissed plan on one black and blue game . We were very very .very physical with the rams and IMO out Physical them ! That says something because that is not said often about Fisher teams ..

This is a long season but as of now I like our chances of a Repeat ! They are hungry still and I am sure very pissed at the down play of what they did .

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys - If you don't mind I am going to jump in here because the Panther's board is non existent.

First, I throw out all the talk about revenge - no respect etc. These guys are professional and while emotions might be high initially, football will take over and players both teams will get down to doing their jobs. At the end of the day it is a non divisional opponent and there are much more important games on both calendars.

I think what is most worrisome for the Panthers is that there is no book on Siemian to prepare for. Kubiak and company are excellent coaches and there will be a game plan to address the Panther's pass rush. Whether it works or not is a separate story. You guys will test our young secondary and Sanders will be a tough cover for us. I think running against us will be tough for you but if you have the lead going into the fourth quarter I worry about our stamina at that altitude and your run game could indeed take over.

I think on the Panther's side it is important for us to establish the run. Even if there is little success early we need to stay with it. Our passing attack will look different than the SB with Benjamin in there and surely to God we will will address mitigating Von's pass Rush. Again whether we are successful or not is a separate story.

I think the X-Factor will be special team play and controlling field position. You guys have a lot of newbies on special teams so I like our odds here.

This should be a low scoring game but I have to go something like 15 - 10 Panthers.

BTW - As far as Sportshoopla goes you guys were class winners this year. Nothing at all like what I saw from the Seahawks and the Patriots.

Cheers and let's tee this sucker up

You are definitely welcome here any time and appreciate you coming here this week. A few questions if you don't mind and then maybe some comments on your thoughts. Love getting the perspective from the other fans of the game.

Questions...

I heard Kelvin Benjamin will be on a snap count...Any idea what that magical number is? And if he is on a snap count then is he not 100% at the moment?

What do you think of your new secondary? I've heard pretty good things but then again many of them haven't taken a meaningful snap in the NFL so I guess what are your expectations for that group?

Has there been any kind of switch in attitude this year? Last year it seemed like the Panthers were the fun loving team at least until they got beat in the Super Bowl. I remember there being a huge switch in our team's attitude after losing the Super Bowl. Just seemed like they were more tight and this is a business so we are going to act like we are at work and honestly I just was not happy to see such a switch.

Now a few comments. I agree that Siemian being such an unknown is huge. Another aspect though is just the offense we will be running. It will be nothing like what you saw in the Super Bowl. Manning could not run Kubiak's system so I am interested to see how that back side DE handles our ZBS and those outside zone runs where the backside DE has so much responsibility with the cut back lane but also making sure the QB doesn't get out of the pocket.

Defensively I agree I would run the heck out of the ball at this unit. They were strong against the run but if there is a weakness to this defense it can be the run defense especially now with Malik and Trevathan both gone. I still think we will be a strong unit against the defense but I would definitely attack them that way and make them win the one on one match ups.

For me the X-factor at least for the Broncos winning will be how our 3 interior OL guys hold up against the Panthers inside guys. I'm really liking our OT's this year and what they can do so not as worried but those inside guys for the Panthers can make life difficult for a lot of teams. If we can hold up in the run and pass game on the interior I think we stand a very good chance of our offense having some success.

The other X-Factor for me will be how much Mile High effects the Panthers. Cam has never played at Mile High in his career and we have seen MVP QB's come to town and look very human. The altitude is very real and the crowd should be going crazy. If he thought the Broncos were getting a great jump in the Super Bowl just wait until he has to do the silent count in Mile High. If Cam though can handle the Altitude and crowd the Broncos are definitely in trouble.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep going back and forth on this game of who I think will win. The Broncos honestly are one of the tougher teams to figure out because of such an unknown at the QB position and so many new faces especially on the offensive side of the ball.

The one thing I keep coming back to though is how many great QB's struggle in Denver. Aaron Rodgers has played the Broncos twice. Once in Green Bay where he lit up our team in 2011 and of course this last year where he maybe had his worst game as a pro. Brady is 2-7 in Denver at the 2 wins came against QB's that honestly shouldn't have even been in the league. When at home Brady is 4-2 against the broncos. Big Ben is 2-4 in Denver. Drew Brees is 0-5 in Denver.

So there is definitely a very nice boost home field wise for the Broncos against especially the top QB's in the league.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are definitely welcome here any time and appreciate you coming here this week. A few questions if you don't mind and then maybe some comments on your thoughts. Love getting the perspective from the other fans of the game.

Questions...

I heard Kelvin Benjamin will be on a snap count...Any idea what that magical number is? And if he is on a snap count then is he not 100% at the moment?

What do you think of your new secondary? I've heard pretty good things but then again many of them haven't taken a meaningful snap in the NFL so I guess what are your expectations for that group?

Has there been any kind of switch in attitude this year? Last year it seemed like the Panthers were the fun loving team at least until they got beat in the Super Bowl. I remember there being a huge switch in our team's attitude after losing the Super Bowl. Just seemed like they were more tight and this is a business so we are going to act like we are at work and honestly I just was not happy to see such a switch.

Now a few comments. I agree that Siemian being such an unknown is huge. Another aspect though is just the offense we will be running. It will be nothing like what you saw in the Super Bowl. Manning could not run Kubiak's system so I am interested to see how that back side DE handles our ZBS and those outside zone runs where the backside DE has so much responsibility with the cut back lane but also making sure the QB doesn't get out of the pocket.

Defensively I agree I would run the heck out of the ball at this unit. They were strong against the run but if there is a weakness to this defense it can be the run defense especially now with Malik and Trevathan both gone. I still think we will be a strong unit against the defense but I would definitely attack them that way and make them win the one on one match ups.

For me the X-factor at least for the Broncos winning will be how our 3 interior OL guys hold up against the Panthers inside guys. I'm really liking our OT's this year and what they can do so not as worried but those inside guys for the Panthers can make life difficult for a lot of teams. If we can hold up in the run and pass game on the interior I think we stand a very good chance of our offense having some success.

The other X-Factor for me will be how much Mile High effects the Panthers. Cam has never played at Mile High in his career and we have seen MVP QB's come to town and look very human. The altitude is very real and the crowd should be going crazy. If he thought the Broncos were getting a great jump in the Super Bowl just wait until he has to do the silent count in Mile High. If Cam though can handle the Altitude and crowd the Broncos are definitely in trouble.

At 6-4, I got to believe KB be playing in all red zone opportunities no matter snap count.

I have a little worry about McManus missing FGs in preseason and many more in TC. I personally saw 2 misses from inside 45.

Cam has been sacked something like 11 times in their two meetings.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 6-4, I got to believe KB be playing in all red zone opportunities no matter snap count.

I have a little worry about McManus missing FGs in preseason and many more in TC. I personally saw 2 misses from inside 45.

Yeah that definitely is a bit of a worry. I'm hoping that now only kicking with one holder instead of going back and forth that McManus and Dixon can get something figured out. Unfortunately that could mean some struggles earlier in the year and with us wanting to play close games a field goal missed in a game can be teh difference between victory and defeat. Honestly of this entire off season Colquitt is the one move above the others that I question that the Broncos did. He was willing to take a pay cut just not the level they were hoping. I thought from everything I read that he easily won the job as Dixon had his days he really struggled plus then the holding for the field goal. Hopefully that decision doesn't come back to bite us but will just have to see.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3

Questions...

The issue is conditioning. I don't think there is a snap count number but, particularly at mile high, he will probably get easily winded so it will be based more on what kind of route he runs as to whether he will be in on the next play.

I've heard and read good things but a rookie is a rookie. The good thing is our defense is a function of the front seven and disrupting the pocket which can cover up for some secondary shortcomings.

They are focused but loose. That is just Cam's nature and as Cam goes so goes the team. He wears his emotions on his sleeve and he wants to have fun playing. I don't foresee any changes from this group.

I got ya. I think it will be interesting. What Semian has going for him is a Head Coach that used to be a QB. I think his biggest challenge is our line backers. They play the short passing game as well as any group of LBs in the league.

Defensively I agree I would run the heck out of the ball at this unit. They were strong against the run but if there is a weakness to this defense it can be the run defense especially now with Malik and Trevathan both gone. I still think we will be a strong unit against the defense but I would definitely attack them that way and make them win the one on one match ups. Even if we don't have early success I think we have to run the ball at Von and give him something to worry about other than just the pass rush. What makes our run game so effective is Cam. Personally I like our running backs but they are by no means elite.

That will be interesting to watch. Our DTs are incredibly stout and they can disrupt the pocket. KK short had 10.5 sacks last year.

Mile High is a huge concern. It takes a few games to get into real football shape. Fortunately we have good depth except for our secondary so I assume we will sub regularly.
Another huge concern for me is your secondary. To me it's the best in the league and it let's your Front 7 go all out on pass rush. Our receivers are big and physical but not necessarily good at getting separation.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mile High is a huge concern. It takes a few games to get into real football shape. Fortunately we have good depth except for our secondary so I assume we will sub regularly.
Another huge concern for me is your secondary. To me it's the best in the league and it let's your Front 7 go all out on pass rush. Our receivers are big and physical but not necessarily good at getting separation.

I think last year one of the biggest reasons we were able to really smother that great Panthers offense is because our Corners were so physical with the Panthers. They were not used to a team trying to punch them in the mouth as they were the team that always punched others and watched them lay down to get destroyed. Benjamin being back could be huge since that is one more physical player the Broncos have to worry about. I do think the Broncos will play with a very similar game plan to the Super Bowl in have our Corners go one-on-one with maybe single safety over the top and then have the rest really work to contain Cam and the run game forcing Cam to try and beat us from the pocket.

Going to be a fun one tonight!

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that definitely is a bit of a worry. I'm hoping that now only kicking with one holder instead of going back and forth that McManus and Dixon can get something figured out. Unfortunately that could mean some struggles earlier in the year and with us wanting to play close games a field goal missed in a game can be teh difference between victory and defeat. Honestly of this entire off season Colquitt is the one move above the others that I question that the Broncos did. He was willing to take a pay cut just not the level they were hoping. I thought from everything I read that he easily won the job as Dixon had his days he really struggled plus then the holding for the field goal. Hopefully that decision doesn't come back to bite us but will just have to see.
Elway and Kubiak say they don't make roster moves based on money but in this case I don't believe them.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway and Kubiak say they don't make roster moves based on money but in this case I don't believe them.

Yeah I actually agree with you here. And honestly they have to make roster decisions based on money otherwise guys like Osweiler, Malik, and Trevathan would still be on the team. Money is part of the equation. Maybe they decided the need to get Sanders locked down long-term was worth the cost of a more known player at the punter position. At this point because he was willing to take such a pay cut I'm not thinking Dixon is worth the minimal savings that he gives us. Have to see how this plays out though. Obviously they saw Dixon everyday and feel comfortable enough to have moved on.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
X factor......... If Trevor plays better than Peyton Manning did vs Panthers, which was about 9 qbr, and this D gives Cam problems once again, which I think will happen, this game will be a Broncos blowout. They won by 14 last time. I say Denver doubles down tonite. :)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be pretty shocked if we blow out the Panthers tonight, but happy.

Like last year, I don't see us blowing out many teams. Especially a team with a very good defense and a solid offense. Hope I am wrong. Would love to blow them out but in the end I just want to win.