• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 1: Broncos vs Panthers

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preseason is over and last minute roster changes are taking place all over the league as players cut from one team are signed to fill holes by others. Very quickly this week the stories will shift from these roster moves to the goods stuff: pre-game analysis of actual regular season games! Allow me to get it started.

The Panthers will come into this one eager for revenge. I actually find that a bit silly because you can't exactly get revenge for a Super Bowl loss in a regular season game, but I digress. Both teams have some changes to key personnel but the changes are far more drastic for the Broncos. Gone is Peyton Manning. Before you go dismissing that as a big loss and cite his poor performances in 2015, consider Manning is the only QB in 2015 to have lead his team on a scoring drive in the opening possession against the Panthers. The Panthers were used to getting stops and the McManus FG that opened scoring in the Super Bowl were the first points scored on them to open a game. Right off the bat, Manning and the Broncos were in their heads, despite a great performance by that defense.

But speaking of defense...

I get the feeling the Broncos defense has quietly taken note of all the reports of them "taking a step back" and not being as good as last year. Granted, they set the bar pretty high, but tell that to the players themselves. I think where we may trade some stats this year is yards for scores. Maybe the Broncos allow a few more yards than last year, but I think this year's defense clamps down even tighter on scoring. I think they are going to come out in week one and after a long off season of hearing everyone dismiss their historic performance as fluky they are going to unleash on the Carolina offense.

Offensively this game is going to be won or lost on the arm of Trevor Siemian. Unless Kubiak knows something we don't, our run game doesn't look good enough to carry the team against a front like the Panthers. The team didn't run well in the preseason, though they did better when Siemian was passing well. That sounds a little backwards from the Kubiak style we know and love, but if it works it works. I look for the team to get TE Green involved up the seem and Anderson in the flat early in the passing game before taking bigger shots at the likes of Sanders and DT. One thing I am hoping for is a monster game from DT, because that will set the league on notice early, which will pay dividends in future weeks as teams will have to game plan for him. If the passing game can get going early, it may soften up the front late and allow the Broncos to grind the game away, but don't count on them being able to do that too early. It's going to be hard to run on the Panthers and if the game is close in the 4th, they are going to clamp down.

My prediction:

The defense takes this one over while the offense does its part. I don't even want to say "just enough" because I believe the offense will look serviceable in this game. I think the passing game is going to look better than the run game this week. Siemian will have his moments, passing for ~275 or so yards, 2 TDs, and likely an INT as well. Anderson leads rushing, with Booker close behind. Together they combine for about 80 or so yards, no TDs.

Final score: Broncos 24, Panthers 17. Defense seals it with a 4th down stop late in the game.

Let's hear yours.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know somebody is going to get after me for listening to Cecil Lamney too much on this one but I actually agree completely with him on this that the Broncos should do something early on to kind of shock the Panthers. Go 4-wide since we are so deep at WR and really test that young secondary of the Panthers. With the Panthers having one of the top-3 Front-7's and knowing we are a team that wants to run then might as well spread them out a bit and really questioning all of their game planning they did this week.

Also remember that our 1st drive in the Super Bowl it was the passing game that shocked the Panthers a bit with a couple of really big passes. They were trying to force the ball into Manning's hand and he made them pay on that opening drive. Unfortunately that was about the only drive that he did but to me that would be a good way to really get the Panthers questioning themselves and really see how much they are going to miss Norman this year.

Defensively not sure I change much of my game plan from the Super Bowl. I think the Panthers for the most part will keep trying to do what they did in the Super Bowl and just hope they execute better.

Broncos are 11-1 in the last 12 years of opening games of the season. In fact since Bowlen took over no team has a higher winning percentage in opening games than the Broncos at something like 22-4. The crowd will be going crazy honestly making our linebackers get an even better jump to get after Newton.

I have us winning this one...

24-13

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday can't come soon enough.

I am very very nervous about this game too.

Carolina has had it pegged as revenge for a long time.

At the same time.

They can NEVER!

take away that.....

We are Super Bowl 50 Champs!!!!!!!
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ That's right, DC. I think that makes this game very interesting for Broncos fans. No matter what happens in this game, the Broncos won the Super Bowl! And while I want to see the Broncos win every time I watch them, I feel there is no pressure for them to win this one. Sure, there's the "prove everyone wrong" dialogue. The Broncos are likely the single most written off and left for dead SB Champ in the modern era. But that dialogue will continue even if the Broncos rail the Panthers 28-0. It'll continue well into the season the same way it did last year. So it's not like the team is going to silence the doubters in one game.

No pressure. Really.

And I think in that setting the team is going to go out on defense and pin its ears back while on offense they may throw in a few surprises early to get that defense on its heels. I'd love to see Siemian to DT for 80 and a TD on the first play from scrimmage.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
24-14 Denver. Siemian throws for 2 TD's in the win.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how to handicap this game.

I like the Bronco's defense - I like at altitude in Denver - I like the Broncos are motivated by being underdogs at home. I think Von Miller has a big game. I also think the wraps come off Trevor Siemian -and the Broncos call to his strengths as a QB - some of which will be surprising. I think Siemian will have to throw over the defense in order for the Broncos running game to get going.

Denver 21
Carolina - 13

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam is afraid of Denver period. You see. Denver by 20

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Von gets up for cam and Brady !

We win because of Von and his alter Ego when he plays Cam he goes nuts !

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos offense struggles a bit with a new offensive line and quarterback against a very talented Carolina defense. The Broncos D keeps it close but has a harder time containing Newton this game, as Carolina finds ways to neutralize the pass rush that stymied them in Super Bowl 50. A late defensive takeaway for the Broncos seals the game and home field advantage holds serve.

Broncos 17
Panthers 14

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the pressure is on Denver to win at home with basically a rookie QB. Starting off slow will just add more pressure to Sieman to make something happen and mistakes are made with a QB that forces the action to make something happen. Elway loves Paxton because he will make mistakes but also will make plays off schedule. Need to see what Trevor brings. Carolina will be just fine with a loss on the road to the defending SB champs.

Kubiak seems to be behind Trevor and he has risen to the challenges so far.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the pressure is on Denver to win at home with basically a rookie QB. Starting off slow will just add more pressure to Sieman to make something happen and mistakes are made with a QB that forces the action to make something happen. Elway loves Paxton because he will make mistakes but also will make plays off schedule. Need to see what Trevor brings. Carolina will be just fine with a loss on the road to the defending SB champs.

Completely agree that the pressure is on the Broncos for this game. Carolina has a much easier division and they're on the road. If they lose, they still win the NFC South. Not so easy for the home team. On the bright side, IF the Broncos lose, it would move us one notch closer to the Paxton Lynch era. :dance:

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carolina was a fast starting team last year. Need to keep Carolina down . I expect Newton to run about 14-16 times instead of 9 from the Super Bowl. Don't let him break off a big run.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know somebody is going to get after me for listening to Cecil Lamney too much on this one but I actually agree completely with him on this that the Broncos should do something early on to kind of shock the Panthers. Go 4-wide since we are so deep at WR and really test that young secondary of the Panthers. With the Panthers having one of the top-3 Front-7's and knowing we are a team that wants to run then might as well spread them out a bit and really questioning all of their game planning they did this week.

Also remember that our 1st drive in the Super Bowl it was the passing game that shocked the Panthers a bit with a couple of really big passes. They were trying to force the ball into Manning's hand and he made them pay on that opening drive. Unfortunately that was about the only drive that he did but to me that would be a good way to really get the Panthers questioning themselves and really see how much they are going to miss Norman this year.

Defensively not sure I change much of my game plan from the Super Bowl. I think the Panthers for the most part will keep trying to do what they did in the Super Bowl and just hope they execute better.

Broncos are 11-1 in the last 12 years of opening games of the season. In fact since Bowlen took over no team has a higher winning percentage in opening games than the Broncos at something like 22-4. The crowd will be going crazy honestly making our linebackers get an even better jump to get after Newton.

I have us winning this one...

24-13
My thinking,which is way risky and maybe we don't have the rb to pull it off, is ... throw short out to Wr on first down and then on 2nd down, pitch it to Rb on roll out to left, have him pull up, throw back to Trevor who then finds wide open Green over middle for huge gain or td. I know, so many things can go wrong with that kind of play but if they execute it right and it works....they are fun to watch happen. :) Just a vision I formulated in my wishful demented head. :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS...If you were in an " Eliminator " contest this wknd, which team would you pick to win with the most confidence ? :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Seahawks or the Colts.
Yeah DC Seahawks are the big choice for sure and I like your Colt pm vs Detroit who might only win one game this year. I was thinking KC because how tough they are at home and not buying into SD being anything this year. PS buddy...Fowler prob not being available is making my prediction for Norwood having those 6 recpts vs Panthers a tad more feasible. :)

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I emphatically disagree. As far as pressure in a home opener goes, this is about as low pressure as I can remember. Suppose the Broncos lose.

1. They are still Super Bowl Champions.
2. Plenty of teams lose in week 1 and go on to have successful seasons. Week 1 is often very fluky anyway.
3. It would be a non-conference loss.
4. The Broncos themselves don't feel they have to "prove it" to anyone. They are 1/32 teams in the league that finished with a Lombardi Trophy last year.

Look, I hope they win as much as anyone, and I believe they will. But a loss is by no means the end of the world. I don't see the team resting on their laurels as champs, but I don't think they are under any more pressure than they otherwise would be as defending champs. Week 1 is just that: week 1. There are 15 games behind it, some of them far more important than this one.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I emphatically disagree. As far as pressure in a home opener goes, this is about as low pressure as I can remember. Suppose the Broncos lose.

1. They are still Super Bowl Champions.
2. Plenty of teams lose in week 1 and go on to have successful seasons. Week 1 is often very fluky anyway.
3. It would be a non-conference loss.
4. The Broncos themselves don't feel they have to "prove it" to anyone. They are 1/32 teams in the league that finished with a Lombardi Trophy last year.

Look, I hope they win as much as anyone, and I believe they will. But a loss is by no means the end of the world. I don't see the team resting on their laurels as champs, but I don't think they are under any more pressure than they otherwise would be as defending champs. Week 1 is just that: week 1. There are 15 games behind it, some of them far more important than this one.