• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 1 - Appalachian State

BdozerVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't see any thread to start talking about our first game (and its never to early to talk about the first game of the season). Basically I want to talk about our first opponent as well as just gameday traditions. I have already started planning out what I am going to do on 9/3/11.

My gamedays start with waking up like its Christmas morning (If I wake up at 6am, I am not falling back asleep). I generally go through my phone calling everyone I know yelling GAMEDAY BABY! and hanging up. I put on a tech shirt and go downstairs and start blasting enter sandman. I put on some of my fav tech youtube vids and take a shot of bourbon (bought a bottle for this season last weekend).

Next, its on to the grill. I will have had some ribs marinating overnight that I will get out of the fridge. The smoker gets prepped for a long slow smoke and I put a dry rub on the ribs. Once the ribs are in the smoker I prepare the mop which includes half a beer...this signifies its time to start drinking (the shot of bourbon is just my wakeup).

59279_940649174413_6207557_49752432_6696706_n.jpg

These are the ribs before the Boise game.

With the ribs on the grill and the fiance still asleep I fire up the PS3. I play a game of NCAA11 (12 when it comes out) against the computer to simulate the upcoming game. By the time the PS3 game is over, gameday is usually on TV.

59279_940649199363_6207557_49752437_6060415_n.jpg

As you can see in the pic, main game on big screen, laptop to the left of TV is for streaming espn3 to big TV. Netbook in front of couch is for checking box score stats. smaller tv to the right is for secondary game (usually another ACC game). Computer on far right is also for streaming another game from espn 3.

Fiance wakes up and I get out the cornhole sets. I have to recruit some neighbors to play (still trying to find a way to teach my dogs). Ribs come off the smoker once the games starts and once the ribs on consumed the phone comes out to text back and forth with my brother who is usually at the game (JR at Tech).

I Call my grandfather and then parents at halftime to talk about the first half...then for the 2nd half its tequila if we are behind, yuengling and bourbon if we are ahead.

BdozerVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As for App State. I know the transitive property doesnt apply but UF did blow them out...and UF was blown out by FSU...who was blown out by us. Its the first game of the season and we learned our lesson from JMU. App States D is said to be pretty weak, but I think LT will use the first half to get out some jitters. I see David Wilson stealing the show with two long runs for TDs. Won't be a complete blowout, but I am thinking 38 - 13.

So, what do you all think about the first game of the season and what are you going to be doing on gameday?

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Like JMU, there is no valid excuse for Tech losing this game. However, Appy State will play to win. Tech needs to focus on playing it's game plan, and the veterans need to play at full speed and intensity until the newbies get acclimated. Talent should not be an issue, but lack of focus and preparation can be.

I'd bet anything Appy State will try to run the vertical read option (like JMU's pistol, and GT's T.O. FullBack read). It will lessen Tech's aggressive play and speed advantage on defense. It also utilizes their senior laden offensive line and backfield to its maximum. Bud Foster will likely focus on their QB, who is easily their best player leading ASU in both passing and rushing last season.

Their defense isn't a monster, even at the FCS level, but will likely be prepared for what we're going to try to do. I suspect the offense will be alittle more aggressive over the course of this season, but it will start out with simple reads for LT, and a heavy dose of David Wilson and crew. The question for me is, will Tech go with the spread offense we've favored recently, or will we go back to more traditional power running game? That's one thing I hope to see mixed up for our OOC games.

BdozerVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wish we could get some App State fan perspective as well. The game thread on ESPN is dead.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmmm 12:30 game? Looks like this one will start with the pregame ritual of a 7am power hour, followed by 3 hours of tailgating leading up to the game. Get to the game in time for "Lets Go Hokies" and Enter Sandman, and hopefully watch a solid performance by our Hokies. Gotta love college.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have lived 3 years in Lee Hall with a short walk to Lane Stadium. Coming from Terrace View is going to be different. My gameday ritual is pretty much watch VT youtube videos (almost guaranteed to watch '09 Nebraska finish), listen to Enter the Sandman and All the Above and then walk to the stadium.

If its an away game or if I am out of town, its pretty much have my laptop on ESPN game thread and my TV on the game.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
12:30 KO

Wake up about 7. Watch a little youtube and listen to some music to get the blood flowing, in the shower by 8, gather up the tag alongs and get on the road by 8:30, hit the convenience store for beer and whatever else, pick up ribs and chicken 9-9:30, in the parking lot by 9:45. Eat and drink way to much, in my seats at least 45 minutes before KO. <----- i like to get in early and soak it all up, plenty of time for food and drink after the game. Besides our TG is pretty simple no tables etc just a trunk, tailgate, or the back of an suv, I know a ton of people who do big tailgates so i let them do all the work and i just stop bye to enjoy the spoils.haha. I usually do it up pretty good for road games (when i cant go) 5-10 friends over, food on the grill, keg on the deck, etc etc etc. the funny thing though is that unless it is at lane, i watch all VT games by myself, so when we have guest i leave them in the main part of the house and watch the game in my office. hahaha FWIW i am building a real nice set of cornhole boards for the upcoming season, prob wont take them to lane but will be a nice addition for road game festivities.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmmm 12:30 game? Looks like this one will start with the pregame ritual of a 7am power hour, followed by 3 hours of tailgating leading up to the game. Get to the game in time for "Lets Go Hokies" and Enter Sandman, and hopefully watch a solid performance by our Hokies. Gotta love college.

sounds about right. i used to love doing that every weekend....

much more tame these days...unless i can get a crowd over to watch the game, then we usually get a little rowdy

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game is the first of the year and likely will not be on TV. I will likely decide last minute and drive down and pay way too much for tickets ;).

as of right now, hokiesports says it will be on the ACC Network

BdozerVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I sure hope I get it. I was really lucky last year and got every game on TV. I live just north of miami so I am in ACC territory.

I dont know what I would do if I wasnt able to see the first game!

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I sure hope I get it. I was really lucky last year and got every game on TV. I live just north of miami so I am in ACC territory.

Yeah, but I live in Pittsburgh.... :frusty::frusty:

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
ACC Network is Jefferson Pilot / Raycom. Although it's an old link, Pittsburgh is not listed in the affiliates link below. Miami is BTW. It is possible for a local station to pick up this one game, and ESPN3.com has simulcast a small number of ACC Network football games in the past.

2010 ACC Football Match Center: Duke at Virginia Tech | ACC Information

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The game is the first of the year and likely will not be on TV. I will likely decide last minute and drive down and pay way too much for tickets ;).

if you ever come down and have to scalp tickets, go to the redlight just above where attitudes is. Wait until an hour or so before kick off and you can haggle for a good deal (wouldnt wait that late for a BIG game). I got a close friend who is a WVU fan but also pulls for VT (i know weird right?) he's got tickets there several times in the last 3 years and never had a prob. (one time even ended up with 40yl single letter tix.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC Network is Jefferson Pilot / Raycom. Although it's an old link, Pittsburgh is not listed in the affiliates link below. Miami is BTW. It is possible for a local station to pick up this one game, and ESPN3.com has simulcast a small number of ACC Network football games in the past.

2010 ACC Football Match Center: Duke at Virginia Tech | ACC Information

if you ever come down and have to scalp tickets, go to the redlight just above where attitudes is. Wait until an hour or so before kick off and you can haggle for a good deal (wouldnt wait that late for a BIG game). I got a close friend who is a WVU fan but also pulls for VT (i know weird right?) he's got tickets there several times in the last 3 years and never had a prob. (one time even ended up with 40yl single letter tix.

Thanks guys!!

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Remind me the week of gameday. We'll find you a live stream as a backup.

BdozerVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Remind me the week of gameday. We'll find you a live stream as a backup.

Awesome. I can usually look ahead about a week with digital cable and should hopefully know for sure well before gameday.

A good little writeup on app state from Blogsburg, Va:

(o9.o3) Appy.State is a handsome 10 win D-1aa football program in its own right, although their lower-shelf airplane bottle sized version of Mike Vick is long gone and VT will indeed be playing J.M.U. twice. As much as I like Red Dawn, that’s just not good news if you are an Boone North Carolina University fan, because playing Virginia Tech on their home turf in Lane Stadium is not code for the previously domesticated species otherwise known as the Michigan Wolverines. Yes senior Qb DeAndre Presley is a slick little (5`10“ 169 lb.) huckster both running and passing the football. Yes Appy.State and their 17,222 students are getting a brand spanking new state of the art playing field installed at Kidd Brewer Stadium in what suggests a march towards an eventual D-1 deceleration in my book. No, Appy.State and their formerly 82nd best D-1aa run-stopping unit will not be beating Virginia Tech on the day that witnesses the dawing of the O&M L.T. era in Blacksburg VA. Virginia Tech=42, Appy.State=13

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have lived 3 years in Lee Hall with a short walk to Lane Stadium. Coming from Terrace View is going to be different. My gameday ritual is pretty much watch VT youtube videos (almost guaranteed to watch '09 Nebraska finish), listen to Enter the Sandman and All the Above and then walk to the stadium.

If its an away game or if I am out of town, its pretty much have my laptop on ESPN game thread and my TV on the game.

I lived in Sunridge two years ago and its not bad to get the games. Not sure which part of Terrace View you are in but I would ride Tom's Creek A and hop off by the drill field if traffic was bad. Riding the bus on gameday is always fun. The ride home takes forever because there are 10,000 people trying to get on the buses. I would leave 1-1.5 hours before the game and get there in plenty of time.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

ESPN3 might carry it, or justin.tv, or possibly some other online free sports network. I guess we'll know more as we get closer to game-time.