• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We dropped to 8th in the Coaches Poll

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC is overhyped and always get a pass for losing games in conference but every other good league gets shitted on when a team from their conference loses a conference game.

If that is what you need to tell yourself, then have at it. I just wish I could be your bookie.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should ND be in the Top 10? The Stanford win at the last second is turning out to be not that impressive and after that they don't have a win with a team with an over .500 record.

They should be in the 20s. ASU and Arizona have better resumes SO FAR>

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND hasn't beat anyone of value. Weak schedule in hindsight.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do we not have a team board mod?

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually 4down, I welcome your presence here.

You're a good poster

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND hasn't beat anyone of value. Weak schedule in hindsight.

Not really. Sagrin has them with the 34th best schedule currently, which is not weak in comparison to other teams.

Their schedule was looking much tougher to start the year, but it's far from being weak.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to come and have a legitimate discussion about college football, then you're more than welcome.

But to come here once or twice, just to bash ND or our schedule, that's pretty annoying.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Sagrin has them with the 34th best schedule currently, which is not weak in comparison to other teams.

Their schedule was looking much tougher to start the year, but it's far from being weak.

The schedule isn't what you would call weak, I agree.

But with Michigan being a bad team, and Stanford struggling, it has taken a big hit.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wut?

No they don't. Alabama beat WVU, who just beat the #4 team in the country and against the team who beat TCU. K-State lost to Auburn, a SEC West team - who Alabama will have to beat in order to be considered.

The playoffs doesn't start today, Alabama will have plenty of quality wins if that is the case. But if Alabama doesn't win those games, then another SEC West team will be in the hunt instead.

Yeah, like you thinking Alabama was going to start last year 0-2.

All you do is prove you know nothing about football over and over. The SEC West has 4 of the top 5 spots in the polls right now. I'm sure you'll blame ESPN, but that just highlights your ignorance and your excuses to keep living in that fantasy. I have no idea if Alabama will be in the mix at the end of the year, but if you can't recognize the strength of the SEC West, then it says more about you than you apparently realize.

1) I agree that if Bama makes the playoffs it would be well deserved as IMO they would need to run the table and go 12-1 which would mean they beat Mississippi State, Auburn, & Georgia.

2) Just because they're ranked in 4 of the top 5 spots in a poll doesn't mean everyone agrees. I wouldn't have Bama in the top 5 because there are other teams with 1 L who has beaten a better opponent. Oregon, TCU, MSU, & Kstate all beat teams ranked higher than West Virginia.

I will never change my opinion that the SEC always get a free pass when they lose a conference game and there is favoritism in the polls towards SEC schools. The fact that Georgia is in front of TCU & K-State in both polls just show their bias. There is not one single reason why Georgia deserves to be ranked ahead of any of those schools.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is what you need to tell yourself, then have at it. I just wish I could be your bookie.

The SEC West in the strongest Division in any conference in College football, however that doesn't mean it isn't a little over hyped. Mississippi State went from unranked to #14 and #16 in the polls for beating LSU who are an average team (LSU overrated at #8) win should have moved them into the top 25 but not as high as it did. Then they beat an A&M team that was only ranked that high due to beating an average South Carolina team (I feel I'm being generous by calling South Carolina average) once again not a great win that probably should have moved them to the 14-16 range (I'll call it an SEC bump for beating average team). Then they beat Auburn who seem like a really good team with the best non-conference win in the SEC (if you watched the game KSU outplayed them and really gave them a win so not as impressive but a quality win is a quality win). Ole Miss have played one really good game in Alabama and came away with a close win at home (I think they lose in Tuscaloosa). After the Alabama game the rest of their wins are against average to below average teams so it's hard to be super impressed by them but they also benefited from beating an averaged over hyped A&M team. Alabama have lost a close game and won a close game against their best opponents (Ole Miss and West Virginia) remember I hold A&M with very little regard. So realistically they are the best but that doesn't mean they haven't been over hyped because Mississippi State shouldn't have jumped FSU because they never should have been close enough to do so by beating Auburn.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC West in the strongest Division in any conference in College football, however that doesn't mean it isn't a little over hyped. Mississippi State went from unranked to #14 and #16 in the polls for beating LSU who are an average team (LSU overrated at #8) win should have moved them into the top 25 but not as high as it did. Then they beat an A&M team that was only ranked that high due to beating an average South Carolina team (I feel I'm being generous by calling South Carolina average) once again not a great win that probably should have moved them to the 14-16 range (I'll call it an SEC bump for beating average team). Then they beat Auburn who seem like a really good team with the best non-conference win in the SEC (if you watched the game KSU outplayed them and really gave them a win so not as impressive but a quality win is a quality win). Ole Miss have played one really good game in Alabama and came away with a close win at home (I think they lose in Tuscaloosa). After the Alabama game the rest of their wins are against average to below average teams so it's hard to be super impressed by them but they also benefited from beating an averaged over hyped A&M team. Alabama have lost a close game and won a close game against their best opponents (Ole Miss and West Virginia) remember I hold A&M with very little regard. So realistically they are the best but that doesn't mean they haven't been over hyped because Mississippi State shouldn't have jumped FSU because they never should have been close enough to do so by beating Auburn.

I'm not going to bother with the whole "haven't played anyone" crap. Because that's all it is. You can do the same things with basically all teams in college football, including Notre Dame. No team is playing top5 teams every week. There are 128 teams in FBS and only about 10-15 of them would be deemed as "quality" among someone trying to make such an argument. It's always easy to poke at teams in college football, so long as you aren't trying to present an alternative - which such discussions rarely do.

On that topic of the SEC West specifically, I'll just say this - any team in college football would flaunt such a schedule big team, especially if they won. And no team would be all that confident about the outcome if they were playing in the SEC West.

But continuing on.

The SEC West teams will eventually drop in the rankings as they play themselves. I don't want to get into a big long post about how rankings work, but the high current rankings is a result of people not knowing exactly how the SEC West is going to play out. Is Alabama going to win out? Who is going to win Ole Miss vs Miss St? Will Auburn win out? These are all big questions that will have the biggest impact on the rankings in all of college football right now.

So yes, in that manner as far as rankings go, some teams are going to be dropping out of the top5 before the season is over. Just like FSU and Notre Dame this past weekend. We knew 1 had to lose, and we knew 1 would drop a little after the game. However, when you get 2 or more teams with an even record, with their losses being against the other top teams, that is when/why you'll end up seeing more than 1 team from a conference like the SEC. And that doesn't just apply to the SEC - Notre Dame is in the exact same boat if it hopes to make the playoffs still while FSU goes as well.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) I agree that if Bama makes the playoffs it would be well deserved as IMO they would need to run the table and go 12-1 which would mean they beat Mississippi State, Auburn, & Georgia.

2) Just because they're ranked in 4 of the top 5 spots in a poll doesn't mean everyone agrees. I wouldn't have Bama in the top 5 because there are other teams with 1 L who has beaten a better opponent. Oregon, TCU, MSU, & Kstate all beat teams ranked higher than West Virginia.

I will never change my opinion that the SEC always get a free pass when they lose a conference game and there is favoritism in the polls towards SEC schools. The fact that Georgia is in front of TCU & K-State in both polls just show their bias. There is not one single reason why Georgia deserves to be ranked ahead of any of those schools.

We'll see how the committee leans pretty soon.

As for the whole ESPN/SEC Bias stuff - the computer polls have the SEC even higher than the human polls. These are the same formulas that in years past didn't do that, and are not in any way influenced by ESPN.

People want to claim bias because it makes them feel better. But I'll start believing it when data driven formulas are at least somewhat in the opposite direction, rather than pushing towards the supposed bias.

College Football Ranking Composite

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the second week, I've said there would be 2 SEC teams, FSU or ND, and either the Pac12, or Big 12 champ. Now, I think the Big 12 has played their way out of it, and I think only Oregon can make it from the Pac12, but the Big10 champ is back in play. I really think that ND's biggest issue is that while we have a good loss, we have no really quality wins. We actually need ASU and SC to keep winning so beating them will mean something.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the world did the Big 12 play their way out of it? That makes no sense to me. It's the same BS I'm talking about. TCU loses to a good Baylor team & Baylor loses to WVU and all of sudden they're out of it? K-State loses to Auburn but outplays them but the Big 12 is out of it?

K-State still had 3 ranked teams left on their schedule. You're telling me if K-State goes 11-1 with wins over Oklahoma, TCU, West Virginia, & Baylor they don't get in? It's very possible that at the end of the year all those teams are ranked in the top 15 or top 20 at least.

If TCU doesn't lose a game the rest of the way, they would have 3 top 15 wins and 4 top 20 wins.....That's not worth of a playoffs spot?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame outgained them on the ground and in the air. More first downs. More time of possession. Lead about 95% of the game. I was happy with the way we played , proud of the way the team represented itself. Time to focus and win out. We'll worry about all the rest later.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame outgained them on the ground and in the air. More first downs. More time of possession. Lead about 95% of the game. I was happy with the way we played , proud of the way the team represented itself. Time to focus and win out. We'll worry about all the rest later.
:suds: