• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We dropped to 8th in the Coaches Poll

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It hurts you guys that you didn't get Michigan State this year. That would have been a win.

Notre Dame is one of the best teams in the country. I have no doubt in my mind. What people don't realize is that the Irish play a different style team week in and week out. It's not a majority pass teams like the big12 or Pac12 or majority run like B1G and SEC. The ACC is quite balanced, so Notre Dame has to face a different philosophy every week.

If the Irish finish 11-1, I would have them in the Playoff. No less. I mean if you look at common opponents, Notre Dame looked better than Michigan State against Michigan. If Oregon loses to Stanford, that's another 1 up. If Arizona State wins every game except Notre Dame, they will have the upperhand over any PAC12 rep. If Notre Dame beats Louisville, and FSU loses to them, then I guarantee you Notre Dame will have the upperhand. I thought Notre Dame looked better than FSU in every aspect of the game. Still not sure how they lost. Oh nevermind, FSU blew a coverage.

Anyway, FSU won't win the playoff, and wouldn't win a rematch with Notre Dame. They can't run the ball. FSU wouldn't beat Miss State, Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, Georgia, Oregon, Arizona State, Arizona, Utah, TCU, West Virginia, or Kansas State right now. Their defense wouldn't be able to hold up for 4 quarters, and they can't run it well enough either. Every team I just mentioned is Playoff material. They can either run the ball well, play great defense, or both. That's what it will take to win the Playoffs.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It hurts you guys that you didn't get Michigan State this year. That would have been a win.

Notre Dame is one of the best teams in the country. I have no doubt in my mind. What people don't realize is that the Irish play a different style team week in and week out. It's not a majority pass teams like the big12 or Pac12 or majority run like B1G and SEC. The ACC is quite balanced, so Notre Dame has to face a different philosophy every week.

If the Irish finish 11-1, I would have them in the Playoff. No less. I mean if you look at common opponents, Notre Dame looked better than Michigan State against Michigan. If Oregon loses to Stanford, that's another 1 up. If Arizona State wins every game except Notre Dame, they will have the upperhand over any PAC12 rep. If Notre Dame beats Louisville, and FSU loses to them, then I guarantee you Notre Dame will have the upperhand. I thought Notre Dame looked better than FSU in every aspect of the game. Still not sure how they lost. Oh nevermind, FSU blew a coverage.

Anyway, FSU won't win the playoff, and wouldn't win a rematch with Notre Dame. They can't run the ball. FSU wouldn't beat Miss State, Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, Georgia, Oregon, Arizona State, Arizona, Utah, TCU, West Virginia, or Kansas State right now. Their defense wouldn't be able to hold up for 4 quarters, and they can't run it well enough either. Every team I just mentioned is Playoff material. They can either run the ball well, play great defense, or both. That's what it will take to win the Playoffs.

I like your post. I been saying this for years. We play different teams every year. When you are in a conference you know what type of team you are playing almost every year. U get use to each other. By playing different type of teams every week you really have to study a different scheme every week. Im not saying its harder then playing in a conference but its just as difficult. People bash us for being Independent.

Either way all ND has to win and we are good. Just worry about us and go 11-1. We do our part and go 11-1 we will be in the playoffs. I agree MSU is way over rated this year.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I wouldn't leave them out for a two loss SEC team unless they are the one that won the league then I could see it but it would have to be one of the top teams (Alabama, Auburn or Mississippi State).

If Mississippi State runs the table the rest of the season and goes into the SEC champ. game and loses to Georgia, I have no doubt that Georgia gets in as a 2 loss SEC champ, and Miss, State gets in as a top 1 loss team.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC can't have 3 in the playoffs unless its clear and that wouldn't be clear unless ND, Oregon and MSU and OSU loses again. It will be 2 SEC teams, FSU(if they stay unbeaten or even 1 loss), and then someone else that goes 11-1. Hopefully its ND at 11-1.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mississippi State runs the table the rest of the season and goes into the SEC champ. game and loses to Georgia, I have no doubt that Georgia gets in as a 2 loss SEC champ, and Miss, State gets in as a top 1 loss team.

Which I listed as one of the top teams if they lost to Georgia would have a legit shot at being a 2nd SEC team but it would have to be Alabama, Auburn or Mississippi State with the one or two losses. Say Mississippi State, Alabama or Auburn end up in the SEC championship game with two losses against Georgia if Georgia loses that game they aren't getting in.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which I listed as one of the top teams if they lost to Georgia would have a legit shot at being a 2nd SEC team but it would have to be Alabama, Auburn or Mississippi State with the one or two losses. Say Mississippi State, Alabama or Auburn end up in the SEC championship game with two losses against Georgia if Georgia loses that game they aren't getting in.

I think the SEC championship game is essentially a "play in" game. The winner gets in, the loser doesn't, but the team from the West that doesn't get in will probably make the playoff. that way it ends up with 2 SEC, FSU (if they win out), and someone else. (hopefully ND)

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the SEC championship game is essentially a "play in" game. The winner gets in, the loser doesn't, but the team from the West that doesn't get in will probably make the playoff. that way it ends up with 2 SEC, FSU (if they win out), and someone else. (hopefully ND)

I think that depends on how that SEC West battle ends up if that other SEC West team has 2 losses they may not get in.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that depends on how that SEC West battle ends up if that other SEC West team has 2 losses they may not get in.

I agree, if Miss State loses to Bama, and Bama either wins or loses the SEC champ game, I see Miss State in the playoff. With either Bama, or the Georgia team that beats Bama.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure 2 is the most you will ever see from 1 conference in the playoffs.

And btw, this isn't a "SEC" thing. In previous years there were times when it would have been the Big12 that had 2(Oklahoma and Texas), or it would have been the Big10 that had 2 (Ohio St and Michigan). And for Notre Dame, it's pretty much a thing any year you play a conference champion. FSU is the likely case this year, but maybe it will be USC another year, etc.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, winning out won't do it like many hoped it would.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the SEC biased. We don't know how good SEC teams are because they play terrible non conference games. They just play each other when they are highly ranked which looks like they did something special.