• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: wait till next year

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I think it would be wise to split time between Tex and Arod, if October baseball is your mission

Watching both of th have good seasons next year only to break down, does no good

Agreed. Girardi has to realize that Arod and Teixeira are NOT everyday players at this point. They are too old for that. Bird is going to see a lot of action next year, regardless, I think. Then he is lined up to be there full-time the next year. He also might regress and need more time in the minors. That's the same thing about Travis Shaw that makes me nervous. Can they do it again?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore if they lose Davis. If you're a switch hitter Camden is a lovely place to play and he's from there.
Great call. I forgot he was a free agent. Someone is going to really regret giving him a boatload of money.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cano turned down a Yankee offer not far from those numbers

I believe he would have taken a little less to stay in New York. But Seattle's offer was not going to be topped! Are you better off with Ellsbury or Tanaka and some cash, or Cano long-term?

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Girardi has to realize that Arod and Teixeira are NOT everyday players at this point. They are too old for that. Bird is going to see a lot of action next year, regardless, I think. Then he is lined up to be there full-time the next year. He also might regress and need more time in the minors. That's the same thing about Travis Shaw that makes me nervous. Can they do it again?

Sure, they have plenty of options on Bird.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could waive it if he wanted to. Not sure who'd be a good fit, though. Tampa Bay?

Not sure about that. He would have to have something appealing in order to waive it. Not sure TB is that opportunity.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could waive it if he wanted to. Not sure who'd be a good fit, though. Tampa Bay?

He can still play above average defense, so its not as if he would be limited as a DH.....And again, its just one season, so I think many teams could factor in

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baltimore if they lose Davis. If you're a switch hitter Camden is a lovely place to play and he's from there.

LOL. It would be funny for him to go to BALT at this point. Especially after he dissed them in free agency. That was supposed to be his chance to go "home", too. Meanwhile, I don't think the Yankees and Orioles make many deals??

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he would have taken a little less to stay in New York. But Seattle's offer was not going to be topped! Are you better off with Ellsbury or Tanaka and some cash, or Cano long-term?

They needed a starter so the Tanaka thing is apples and oranges. Most Yankee fans really feel it was Beltran and Ellsbury rather than Cano and it's too early to tell but it doesn't look good. If Cano return's to form it'll look horrible but Cano is signed into his 40's so it may be awhile until we know for sure.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. It would be funny for him to go to BALT at this point. Especially after he dissed them in free agency. That was supposed to be his chance to go "home", too. Meanwhile, I don't think the Yankees and Orioles make many deals??

The funniest part is Baltimore never actually offered him a contract yet somehow he still "dissed" them. I guess he was supposed to show up to the inner harbor, knock on the gates and ask for them to sign him

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The one difference between Bird and Shaw is that Bird has been projected to be a pretty good major leaguer, so his path thus far isnt really out of nowhere, where Shaw really showed very little signs of being this good.....Doesnt mean Shaw cant pan out, just sounds like a sell high candidate to me based on his projection

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can still play above average defense, so its not as if he would be limited as a DH.....And again, its just one season, so I think many teams could factor in

I honestly think a lot of teams wouldn't mind having him for a year. But you also have to know that he's good for about 130 games these days. I would guess that an acquiring team would pay him about $5m(?), so the Yankees would need to eat a lot of $$$ to make it happen.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. But my point is that if you trade Teixiera and Bird regresses, who is playing first?

I wouldnt trade Tex in a "dump", he was way too good for that...I wouldnt pick up much of the salary

In an ideal situation, I think they have to look at that, especially if they could bring back a young guy with some upside.......We know there is no way Tex is in NY after next season, so I think you have to look at it

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think a lot of teams wouldn't mind having him for a year. But you also have to know that he's good for about 130 games these days. I would guess that an acquiring team would pay him about $5m(?), so the Yankees would need to eat a lot of $$$ to make it happen.

Yeah, I dont think they would do that...Of course they would do that on an Arod or CC type, but they would probably rather put a really productive Tex out there, rather than pay his contract to play somehwere else

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. But my point is that if you trade Teixiera and Bird regresses, who is playing first?

Bird. If they make that move they'll stick with him the way they stuck with Didi when he was sucking out the joint for 80 games. If it really doesn't work over a long period they could move Headley over there, use John Ryan Murphy who was an infielder prior to a catcher, use A Rod at 3rd here and there etc.

Personally I don't think they move Tex. Until he proves he's healthy no one will want him so he starts the season on the Yanks. There's a ton of age on the team so what are the odds A Rod and Tex stay healthy enough to the point Bird doesn't get 400-500 at bats.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They needed a starter so the Tanaka thing is apples and oranges. Most Yankee fans really feel it was Beltran and Ellsbury rather than Cano and it's too early to tell but it doesn't look good. If Cano return's to form it'll look horrible but Cano is signed into his 40's so it may be awhile until we know for sure.

I don't think it is wise to give a 10-year deal to ANYONE! Even 8 years is too long unless you are getting a Mike Trout-type. I would never give a pitcher more than 5-6 years....

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is wise to give a 10-year deal to ANYONE! Even 8 years is too long unless you are getting a Mike Trout-type. I would never give a pitcher more than 5-6 years....

I agree.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one difference between Bird and Shaw is that Bird has been projected to be a pretty good major leaguer, so his path thus far isnt really out of nowhere, where Shaw really showed very little signs of being this good.....Doesnt mean Shaw cant pan out, just sounds like a sell high candidate to me based on his projection

Oh, I agree. Shaw kind of came out of nowhere this year, while Bird was always considered a pretty good prospect. But Bird is also only 22. Even though he looked damn good this year, it wouldn't be a total shock to see him regress and need some more seasoning. That's why it might actually be good to have Tex around for 1 last season.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would love him on the Dodgers right behind Kershaw. Just about anyone can be good in the NL West(Jake Peavy is still effective somehow, for example), but a pitcher who is ACTUALLY good would kick ass.

The NL West was the highest scoring division in the NL this year.