• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: wait till next year

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all CC and Jacob's fault

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tabascojet you got up very early this am to make this thread... or hadn't you had gone to bed yet?

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tabascojet you got up very early this am to make this thread... or hadn't you had gone to bed yet?
Was still up unfortunately....and wondering why anyone would buy a postseason hat. I had a mich st friend who had a regional final championship hat and used to give him hell for it. More fallout from our everyone gets a trophy mindset I guess....

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was expected. See the daily thread from yesterday.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rangers get past the Jays, they just might win their first ever WS. Bookmarket, bishes!

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One and done sucks. Been there, done that. 2013.

I do really dig the 2-wild card format, though.

I dig it as well. Just don't dig the whole 1 game play in game garbage. As I said before MLB got it right by adding an extra team but kinda ruined it by making it a 1 game play in game. Start the season 3 or 4 days earlier and make this a best of 3 series. Season would still end at late October/first week of November if they did that.....Not that difficult to fix

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rangers get past the Jays, they just might win their first ever WS. Bookmarket, bishes!

So true!

Also, if the Cubs get past the Pirates, they just might win their first WS in 106 major league seasons.

Conversely, if the Pirates get past the Cubs, they just might win their first WS in nearly four decades.

Come to think of it, if the Dodgers get past the Mets, they just might win their first WS since ALF was eating cats.

Shit. I suppose it's also true that if the Mets get past the Dodgers, they just might win their first WS since @yoga≈surfing was 64 years old.

The more I think about this madness, I realize that if the Blue Jays get past the Rangers, they just might win their first WS since their back-to-back championships over two decades ago.

This is a real fucking mind scrambler. . .

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dig it as well. Just don't dig the whole 1 game play in game garbage. As I said before MLB got it right by adding an extra team but kinda ruined it by making it a 1 game play in game. Start the season 3 or 4 days earlier and make this a best of 3 series. Season would still end at late October/first week of November if they did that.....Not that difficult to fix

I disagree. Two more games and the travel days required for them would add at least four calendar days to the break between the end of the season and the division series. It's not right to have the division winners rusting while that gets sorted out.

And from a pragmatic standpoint, the difference between a 1-game and a 3-game series in the context of a 162-game season really doesn't mean shit.

I like it just the way it is.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Two more games and the travel days required for them would add at least four calendar days to the break between the end of the season and the division series. It's not right to have the division winners rusting while that gets sorted out.

And from a pragmatic standpoint, the difference between a 1-game and a 3-game series in the context of a 162-game season really doesn't mean shit.

I like it just the way it is.

I don't. It is garbage. I rather them actually go back to the old format rather then have your season decided in a play in game. The teams in the division series already get 3-4 days off so they're already getting rusty under this format. Season ends on a Sunday. You have 1 series played from Tue-THU and the other played from WED-FRI. Division series would start on Saturday and Sunday instead of Thursday and Friday. We're really talking about a day or 2 here. Baseball guys are used to playing daily so I think they would be rusty no matter if they get 3-4 days off as they do now or if they get 5-6 days as they would in my scenario.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rather them actually go back to the old format rather then have your season decided in a play in game.

Nah. I hated that a wild card team was on equal footing with the division winners. I remember the Yanks and Red Sox putting on cruise control when they knew whichever one won the division, the other would get the wild card. That sucked.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No travel days, huh? So the games will all be held in one team's park?

Nope. Why do you need travel days in a sport where they're used to playing every day? Use a 1-2 format and it is done in 3 days. I hate how MLB act like they're the NBA/NHL and need days off to travel when teams are almost always playing at least 6 days in a week and sometimes all 7 days.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. I hated that a wild card team was on equal footing with the division winners. I remember the Yanks and Red Sox putting on cruise control when they knew whichever one won the division, the other would get the wild card. That sucked.

I'm not sure how you feel about this idea but I heard it back on NYC radio a few years ago when they used that 2-3 format in the ALDS. To make winning the division more important in the old format, instead of using the 2-2-1 format. You actually award the division winner 4 home games and use a 2-1-2 format. Wouldn't that put enough of an emphasis on winning the division?

Basically in the series that matched up a division winner with the WC team you would use this format and in the other series that matched up 2 division winners you use the traditional 2-2-1 format.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Why do you need travel days in a sport where they're used to playing every day?

When baseball teams travel during the regular season, they typically play the games at "get-a-way" times, meaning early afternoon. Think Sunday and Wednesday games. Not really an option for the playoffs.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you really want to see more of the 2015 Yankees? You think they were short-changed this year? Let them rest.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really want to see more of the 2015 Yankees? You think they were short-changed this year? Let them rest.

Not really. I always been against this 1 game playoffs. I said on the game thread last night after the game that the Yanks were shit and the Stros would beat us in a best of 3 as well so this isn't about the Yankees.

No reason why the Cubs/Pirates are getting penalized for playing in the best division in baseball and will have their season decided in one game instead of a short 3 game series at least.